Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I read about user's impression of the 2016 Volt, people loved the L mode, while reviews of the paddle was more mixed (part of the problem is the Volt's is on/off with nothing in between). I guess the Bolt addresses that (it varies, not just on/off). However, it's not one pedal if it requires continuous pressing of a separate paddle (out of the modes listed only L-mode with no paddle can be considered one pedal driving; D may be too weak to qualify). Whether you like one pedal largely depends on personal preferences (some people are good at modulating the pedal and find it easy to put it in "coast" or any other regen position; while others have a hard time modulating the pedal and rather have regen on brakes or controlled separately).

Love the paddle on the Volt. If I want modulated regen, that's what the 'brake' pedal on the floor does. In urban settings, it's Sport, L, and I use the paddle. I seldom have to touch the brakes. Probably because I don't tailgate, I look far ahead, and I don't race towards stoplights that are red. And I still get to my destination quicker than most folk.

Love the paddle on the Volt. If I want modulated regen, that's what the 'brake' pedal on the floor does. In urban settings, it's Sport, L, and I use the paddle. I seldom have to touch the brakes. Probably because I don't tailgate, I look far ahead, and I don't race towards stoplights that are red. And I still get to my destination quicker than most folk.

Yep, I'm a big fan of the regen paddle too. I'm hoping the Bolt has an analog paddle for more refinement when slowing with the paddle.

I believe GM owns the patent for the regen paddle, which may be one reason no other manufacturer employs one....at least I don't think any non-GM EV has a regen paddle.

Yeah this kind of gave me pause when considering whether to wait for the bolt. The base car could be a a bit of a stripper so it's important to know what it'd cost with CCS, NAV and perhaps another few options.

Although on the Volt they do keep it pretty reasonable. You can't really push those into the stratosphere like on a Camaro or Tahoe. Unless you buy an ELR
They did funny thing with volt bought 2016 last December for 40K and it didn't even include home link. Can't wait to see what's left off bolt

No, that's not true. Low does not change the power mapping on the "go pedal" the way that Sport mode does so Low still has all of the normal resolution in the pedal mapping. It's just that if you back off on the pedal it regents strongly instead of coasting. The Sport mode on older Volts does exhibit some loss of fine power resolution on the pedal.

My impression when briefly driving a Cadillac ELR was that it fixed the Sport mode fine resolution issue perhaps by using a better pedal sensor. Although I have driven a 2nd Volt I don't recall how the pedal resolution was in Sport mode. I would not assume that the Bolt's Sport mode pedal resolution is a problem without test driving it first and even on the original Volt it's not a significant problem in my opinion although it is noticeable.

The raison d'etre of Sport mode is to affect the resolution. you get more power with less pedal travel. I don't consider it a problem, I consider it a matter of preference. My wife drives in Sport/PWR and I drive in Normal/ECO mode in our Volt/Prius.

If the resolution isn't affected by driving Low then it must mean that I'm moving my foot when I shift, because I've seen a change in power when I've shifted. (I drive the Volt with the kW displayed). I can test it next time I drive the Volt.

The 2014 Spark EV has a small lever switch on the column below the steering wheel which says 'LOW' and when depressed switches to higher Regen rate. This is similar to Tesla's High/Low option which is buried in menus on the 17 inch screen. Having it available in a handy switch is a nice feature so driver can immediately feel the difference thereby learning what regen is all about. Certainly more effective than reading about it!! LOW only changes REGEN, does not change CREEP and certainly does not change any gearing (the Spark EV has planetary gears which are 'fixed' and cannot be changed).

The Bolt has moved this switch up to a readily available 'paddle' which makes REGEN changing even easier, plus it now changes the Creep mode. Maybe this is easier when stopping on a hill than pressing the brake pedal - to be determined by the early adopters.
--

There are times when being able to switch regen from high to low would be handy, like when going downhill and you don't want to keep the car moving at a reasonable speed. I've learned to use the accelerator to reduce regen in these situations, but it would be nice to just set it and let it coast.

Reactions: Model 3
The raison d'etre of Sport mode is to affect the resolution. you get more power with less pedal travel.
The pedal presumably generates a digital code for a small movement of the pedal. If you remap the pedal to cover the same driver power request over a shorter pedal travel distance then the same power range is described by fewer motion codes so fine changes in position might be seen by the powertrain computer in a chunkier granularity and thus power changes might be perceived as rough rather than smooth.

If the resolution isn't affected by driving Low then it must mean that I'm moving my foot when I shift, because I've seen a change in power when I've shifted. (I drive the Volt with the kW displayed). I can test it next time I drive the Volt.

I just tested this in my Volt because I was curious. Traveling 55 along a level highway, I braced my foot against the footwell side to help me keep it steady. 10kW draw. I could move between D and L not moving my foot on the pedal and the kW draw stayed the same and the speed didn't change.

Yep, I'm a big fan of the regen paddle too. I'm hoping the Bolt has an analog paddle for more refinement when slowing with the paddle.

I believe GM owns the patent for the regen paddle, which may be one reason no other manufacturer employs one....at least I don't think any non-GM EV has a regen paddle.
I haven't seen either the Bolt or the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV yet but the latter has paddles which allow the user to adjust regen. It sounds like they each use the paddle(s) differently but both do use paddle(s) to adjust regen.

I haven't seen either the Bolt or the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV yet but the latter has paddles which allow the user to adjust regen. It sounds like they each use the paddle(s) differently but both do use paddle(s) to adjust regen.

The paddle on a Volt acts like downshifting a gear when approaching a corner. I imagine folk who don't drive stick probably don't care much for it.

I tried looking up the Mitsu Outlander's paddles and how they work, and it seems they are set up differently from GM's implementation. Like you tug the paddles (there are paddles on both sides of the steering wheel) and the regen braking level ramps up or down accordingly. So they are more like "adjust regen level on the fly" paddles rather than a "regen braking" paddle. Definitely sounds more clumsy than GM's version. Could be how they get around paying GM licensing fees.

The paddle on a Volt acts like downshifting a gear when approaching a corner. I imagine folk who don't drive stick probably don't care much for it.
haha, how about anyone in the future????????? Why are they trying to recreate the feeling of how an ICE drives........and the name 'paddle' is ridiculous. Trying using that word at a dinner party or social event.

haha, how about anyone in the future????????? Why are they trying to recreate the feeling of how an ICE drives........and the name 'paddle' is ridiculous. Trying using that word at a dinner party or social event.

My parties and social events often are populated by enthusiasts, racers, or ex-racers. They know what heel toe, Ackermann, bump steer, snap oversteer, and paddles are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly

Lots of cars (particularly nicer ones) have paddle shifters. They've been around for years. Perfectly common term. Especially for people who enjoy cars.

haha, how about anyone in the future????????? Why are they trying to recreate the feeling of how an ICE drives......
I've got mixed emotions on this trend to emulate an ICE's user experience in the new EVs. While I can see the need to make EVs "familiar", to get non-EV drivers over any anxiety they might have, I worry that it will ultimately hold the EV market back. The only exception seems to be the common thread that highlights EVs performance characteristics, and thank your favorite deity that they aren't numbing that down. But the rest of this - linking regen to "low" on a car that doesn't even have a transmission, for example - I worry will ultimately get in the way or cause enough confusion to slow adoption of EVs.

In fact, I'd bet that most of the folks in this target segment - the ones that can't handle things different - don't even use "L" on their ICE transmission in the first place. Making things simpler, which an EV can easily do through software, should be better for them. Paddles and a bunch of intertwined options for controlling regen is totally the wrong thing to do. As high-tech as my Roadster is, it still just has 4 simple buttons for controlling what mode the car is in, Park, Neutral, Reverse, and Drive. And 99% of the time, I only need the last two.

Reactions: ggies07
"Regen On Demand" aka the regen paddles are something you simply DON'T find on conventional ICE vehicles. Not sure why they are even being mentioned in the same breath. When's the last time you bought a gas car that could brake via the steering wheel?? They would be a foreign concept to the "average Joe", so the argument being made that including regen paddles is somehow making an EV MORE like an ICE is mindboggling....

Reactions: Jeff N
"Regen On Demand" aka the regen paddles are something you simply DON'T find on conventional ICE vehicles. Not sure why they are even being mentioned in the same breath. When's the last time you bought a gas car that could brake via the steering wheel?? They would be a foreign concept to the "average Joe", so the argument being made that including regen paddles is somehow making an EV MORE like an ICE is mindboggling....
Exactly. Regen paddles are a new feature specially designed for EV driving.

Many of us who have experienced the Volt/ELR version of the paddles and the ability to conveniently shift from light regen to stronger regen on demand using the floor mounted shifter know this enhances our EV driving experience.