Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking out the 15% buffer, that means the i3 gets 114 miles on 28.5kwh of charge. That means, without adding weight (2961 lbs), the i3 can go 228 miles on 57kwh! The bolt would have a 5% buffer in that case!

Either the 60kwh is usable (66kwh raw?) or the bolt is significantly more aerodynamic than the i3.

My bet is on a significantly larger battery.

It's not just a bigger battery. The MPGe ratings are quite high, so the GM claimed efficiency is higher than the much lighter i3.

It's not just a bigger battery. The MPGe ratings are quite high, so the GM claimed efficiency is higher than the much lighter i3.

Okay, that just seems to make the numbers less believable. So the 3800lbs bolt is only ~7.2% less in city mpge than the 3000lbs i3?! The highway numbers being close, I can get behind due to weight being less of an issue, but the city range?!?!

maybe (in addition to some genuine improvements) they gamed the numbers a little by treating as standard things that would boost range and efficiency, but people really wouldn't want for other sacrifices they cause.

I'm thinking things like very range/efficiency-centric tires and wheels, aggressive regen, and/or different driving modes, like sport, luxury, and standard... with standard being what really would be an eco mode with reduced acceleration, reduced climate control capacity etc, but GM made that the default mode so it would be the one used for the EPA testing?

Eh, no power seats (again) and no NAV option. Sigh. I drive through a lot of cell phone holes out here in the desert so that won't work for me. I need onboard maps.

The REx option also means wider rear tires, so not all of the efficiency drop is due to weight. I agree with you though that by comparison the Bolt numbers are surprisingly optimistic. Credit to GM if they're true.
GM has historically been conservative with their battery range estimates, so I think this will end up being true. I think they get efficiencies out of fewer electronics and a more conservative throttle map. So, no power seats, climate controls that default to "Eco" mode, etc. And they may be allowing more usage of the battery. They have been super conservative on the buffer front, so maybe they feel more confident with their battery tech now.

Chevrolet has a long standing rep when it comes to specs. When Chevy says a number, it's that high or higher.

It has hurt them more than helped them. If they would just lie more, like Nissan, Mazda, Ford, BMW, etc, they would probably have a better image. The public doesn't mind being lied to.

Most of Bolts appeal rides on it's range. Don't doubt for a second that GM would not want to 'optimize' for EPA range. Because of high roof Bolt has a lot of interior space and I suspect that heating and cooling will be an issue at the 'Default' setting that EPA tested with.

Model 3 is stillborn?

If I were Tesla investor, I would be worried, because this cuts Tesla's growth considerably. Chevrolet is household name, most car buyers have never heard of Tesla.

Tesla's timing is now critical. They must get Model 3 out 2017.

Nonsense. Chevy buyers aren't chomping at the bit to buy a high-performance EV. They're also happy with econobox styling, and the Bolt looks like every other el-cheapo design on the road. Tesla appeals to a different market segment, one that the pocket-protector boys at GM do not have a clue about. Tesla will eat Chevy alive.

I think some people underestimate the degree of awareness around Tesla. When Tesla does something, anything, it's covered in mainstream news reports.

I would argue that while Chevrolet is well known in general, it is not particularly well known with regard to EVs. I think that for most people today EV = Tesla.

Awareness around the Bolt specifically seems to be comparatively low. At least in my circles, nearly every discussion about electric cars includes discussion of Tesla.

Nonsense. Chevy buyers aren't chomping at the bit to buy a high-performance EV. They're also happy with econobox styling, and the Bolt looks like every other el-cheapo design on the road. Tesla appeals to a different market segment, one that the pocket-protector boys at GM do not have a clue about. Tesla will eat Chevy alive.

The Bolt wasn't designed by a "pocket-protector boy", but rather an accomplished SCCA racer.

"Riding shotgun with me with me on public roads north of The Palace of Auburn Hills was Bolt chief engineer Josh Tavel, a testament to the fact that Chevy’s Bolt ambitions go way beyond high mileage numbers.

An amateur race-driver who worked on GM’s Alpha platform — the athletic bones on which the Cadillac ATS and Camaro sit — the 37-year old knows a thing or two about performance. And he has brought it to the Bolt.

Behind the wheel in Rochester Hills, my aggressive driving gets plenty of encouragement from Tavel. I throw the road-hugging Bolt into a 90-degree right-hander, tires screaming, then flatten the throttle on exit. Try this in a 250-horse Ford Focus ST and the torque-steer will rip the steering wheel from your hands. Not the Bolt. Tavel’s team has dialed out torque-steer with careful programming.

The level of detail in the Bolt impresses: roomy enough for a soccer mom, yet enough pop to keep demon dad happy."
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/henry-payne/2016/09/13/90291548/

And best of all? It will be available by the end of THIS YEAR.

The Bolt wasn't designed by a "pocket-protector boy", but rather an accomplished SCCA racer.

"Riding shotgun with me with me on public roads north of The Palace of Auburn Hills was Bolt chief engineer Josh Tavel, a testament to the fact that Chevy’s Bolt ambitions go way beyond high mileage numbers.

An amateur race-driver who worked on GM’s Alpha platform — the athletic bones on which the Cadillac ATS and Camaro sit — the 37-year old knows a thing or two about performance. And he has brought it to the Bolt.

If he is so much into high performance - why did he design Bolt as a front wheel drive only?

If personal experience reflects on the design, as the article suggests, than I suspect he also likes to watch reruns of Transformers 2. :)

Credit where credits due. This will be a really smart lease option when it comes out.

Considering how many times you'll actually need to fast charge, the extra 30 minutes to an hour every couple weeks really not that big of a deal.

It'll be interesting to see if the NAV will route though DC chargers like Tesla or if you'll be on your own to figure that out.

Sincerely
A Model S owner who makes poor financial decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndY1 and davidc18
If he is so much into high performance - why did he design Bolt as a front wheel drive only?

He may be the chief engineer, but it doesn't mean he can do whatever he wants. There are those pesky C-level people he has to listen to. ;)

Plus, I really doubt the Bolt's powertrain will be used just for the Bolt EV. Lots of other FWD vehicles you could shove the Bolt's powertrain in...like I dunno, a good chunk of GM's lineup.

Reactions: davidc18