Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PDF version of the order guide (courtesy of the GM-Volt forum)

Look at all those cup holders!! (Quickly ducks) :)

Other stuff I noticed:
Birds eye view and the rear view camera is in the premiere model only
Rear heated seats are in the Premiere model - that's an upgrade from my Volt
HID headlights standard (my Volt has the worst headlights I have had in a car in a while, ugh)
120v charge cord standard (of course, GM). :rolleyes:
7.2kW regular charger - no info on the fast charger rates.
No NAV - that's a deal killer for me. I need onboard maps in cell phone holes
No homelink - another deal killer. My garage remote is a small box full of rattles, I don't keep it in the car

Attachments

• BoltEV_orderguide.pdf
    109.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Teen Driver Mode - Turns down radio, let's you know where your kid is, and monitors their driving, and IIRC, can set a speed limit as well.

The Deal Killer though is the recovery hooks. If I welch on my payments, it makes it that much easier to repo the car.

Wait. I pay cash. Nevermind.

I will try to order Monday when we take the Volt in for Android Auto update.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
4) In the land of hatchbacks, Ampera-e will be priced one class above where it is the US. Maybe the Canadians can buy 30k Bolts?

I'm sure lots of Canadian would love to buy a $30K bolt (in CAD), however, it looks like the Canadian pricing will hit us as hard as Nissan did with the Leaf, and the Bolt is going to cost north of $50K CAD here. With that price entry point, I am not seeing them flying off the dealer lots, even if they qualify for maximum $10K Ontario incentive.

I'm sure lots of Canadian would love to buy a $30K bolt (in CAD), however, it looks like the Canadian pricing will hit us as hard as Nissan did with the Leaf, and the Bolt is going to cost north of $50K CAD here. With that price entry point, I am not seeing them flying off the dealer lots, even if they qualify for maximum $10K Ontario incentive.

Starts at $42,795 in Canada. Chevy Bolt EV Starting Price Is $37,495 In The US, CAD$42,795 In Canada

Ontario rebate will bring it just under $30,000

Starts at $42,795 in Canada. Chevy Bolt EV Starting Price Is $37,495 In The US, CAD$42,795 In Canada

Ontario rebate will bring it just under $30,000

OK, that is a very positive news, I was posting based on an old article, that predicted $52K:
Even at a competitive price, can Bolt EV compete against gas power?

However, I still do not see how you get to $30K, since the $42,795 does not include the 13% HST or the $1600 delivery charge either. The incentive comes off after the total taxed price, so it would be $49958 - incentive.

Honda says the Fit LX has 95.7 cubed ft. of passenger space but the EX and EX-L trims have 93.8 cubed ft.

GM says the Bolt EV has 94.4 cubed ft.

The cargo area behind the rear seat in the Fit measures in at 16.6 cubed ft. and 16.9 in the Bolt EV.

If the Bolt and Fit were categorized as passenger cars instead of small wagons they would just be within the lower end of mid-size based on their interior space.
I don't remember which thread it was, but it does remind me of an argument over size classifications for cars. The EPA considers the Fit barely over mid-size because it rates it based on interior volume. The "market" (including practically all auto publications) considers the Fit a subcompact hatchback (mainly based on exterior dimensions).
For example on wikipedia page:
Honda Fit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You don't have to guess how the EPA classifies it:
When is a hatchback called a sedan and when it is a wagon ? I have owned the CTh, and I currently own the Honda Fit and Prius (v)agon. I'm sure the Bolt does not have the Fit's versatility but it otherwise matches up quite closely in interior total space and compartments. And while I like the Fit size just fine, I'm not at all surprised when Americans call the Fit and the Bolt a small, or quite small, car.

Then there is the entirely confusing matter of who measures what.

Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 7.17.25 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Other stuff I noticed:
Birds eye view and the rear view camera is in the premiere model only
7.2kW regular charger - no info on the fast charger rates.
No NAV - that's a deal killer for me. I need onboard maps in cell phone holes
Wait ... am I understanding correctly that the $37,500 model does not have Navigation or a rear camera ?!?

That seems hard to believe, even for GM.

Wait ... am I understanding correctly that the $37,500 model does not have Navigation or a rear camera ?!?

The base "LT" trim Bolt EV has a rear camera. The Premier trim adds the "Surround View" feature.

Any navigation feature is unclear to me. The order guide does not mention navigation although it mentions many other specific feature details even when they are standard on all trims. That leads some people to think there is no navigation. However, I think I have read articles from the recent media drive event between Monterey and Santa Barbara that seemed to hint at or imply features that allowed lookup of nearby charging stations or easy routing through charging stations to a destination on center display screens they weren't allowed to report on yet.

So, it's unclear to me. I'm not aware of GM specifically stating that there would be no builtin map-based navigation available. There is a so-called "turn-by-turn" navigation that likely gives textual instructions integrated into the driver display and speakers those instructions when to turn without a map display but that is an OnStar feature long available on GM cars without builtin map-based navigation.

OK, that is a very positive news, I was posting based on an old article, that predicted $52K:
Even at a competitive price, can Bolt EV compete against gas power?

However, I still do not see how you get to $30K, since the $42,795 does not include the 13% HST or the $1600 delivery charge either. The incentive comes off after the total taxed price, so it would be $49958 - incentive.
Not accounting for dealer discounts and GM incentives, the Ontario starting price works out to $37,327 including rebates ($12839) and HST. This is the same as a gas car with MRSP of $33,033 including freight ($37,327/1.13).

No, you are not understanding it correctly. A stripped Bolt will come with the two NAV systems that a stripped Volt comes with: OnStar human concierge and emergency system, or you use your cellphone via Apple Carplay or Android Auto.

If you want a third nav system, you can order it. If you want a 4th system, hire somebody to sit in the back seat and yell at you. If you want a 5th system, go to the store and buy a bag of bread crumbs to mark your trail.

Or, you do like I do. I look a map before I leave home, print out a sheet of direction, and if I get lost, call OnStar and they will get me there.

Last edited:
or you use your cellphone via Apple Carplay or Android Auto.
Oh -- that's fine if it works well. Does the base car have a rear view camera ?

Addendum: I installed an Alpine screen for Apple Carplay, and a rear camera in our Honda Fit. Both work great so it is certainly possible to have a very functional but inexpensive Nav + camera. Prospective owners of the Bolt will have to find out for themselves if the GM implementation is OK.

Last edited:
No, you are not understanding it correctly. A stripped Bolt will come with the two NAV systems that a stripped Volt comes with: OnStar human concierge and emergency system, or you use your cellphone via Apple Carplay or Android Auto.

If you want a third nav system, you can order it. If you want a 4th system, hire somebody to sit in the back seat and yell at you. If you want a 5th system, go to the store and buy a bag of bread crumbs to mark your trail.

Or, you do like I do. I look a map before I leave home, print out a sheet of direction, and if I get lost, call OnStar and they will get me there.
I have 2016 volt. It did not come with a cell phone. Of course you can supply your own but it is deceptive to say it comes with one. On star gives you turns but no map. You also will need to subscribe. If you want car based nav with maps you will need premium version with additional option pricing (not yet released)

• Informative
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
I have 2016 volt. It did not come with a cell phone. Of course you can supply your own but it is deceptive to say it comes with one. On star gives you turns but no map. You also will need to subscribe. If you want car based nav with maps you will need premium version with additional option pricing (not yet released)

My 2016 stripped Chevrolet Volt not only came with a Cellphone and Emergency Beacon, it came with Human Interface Navigation stock. Granted it is only free for 3 years, but it works great.

You have to pay for cell phone minutes though.

I normally DO NOT carry a portable cellphone. I hate them. So the OnStar phone is a great way for somebody to get ahold of me in an emergency. A portable cellphone in a car is like having a bottle of Absinthe in the glove box. It's not really necessary, and can be lethal.

"Do Not Disturb" mode on iPhone. Turns off audible notifications so that one is not bothered by alerts.

The OnStar phone has a unique ph #, AFAIK, unused. It never receives junk calls, or people who have your Cell # who just want to talk. When my cars or trucks ring, it is IMPORTANT SHIIT. Serious stuff. Only my wife and General Manager have my car numbers. They go months between calls.

It never has a dead battery, cracked screen, etc. You can't forget and leave it in your briefcase. And it has an Emergency button. If you fall ill, you push the button. If you cannot speak, help is on the way.

Folk do not understand how really good OnStar is, and what a jump it is in car technology. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, it's the best luxury feature ever put in a car, and that includes AC. Heaters aren't luxury, they are life support in cold climates and are mandatory.