Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know of any 80 kW CCS chargers sold today or planned in the future.

Then you haven't been paying attention. GM requires every dealership that wants to sell the Bolt to install at least one 80kW CCS charger. From this article First Drive: 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV: "About 1,200 of Chevy’s 3,000 dealers will sell and service the Bolt, and each must have 480-volt, 80kW fast-charging capability in the service bay."

Then you haven't been paying attention. GM requires every dealership that wants to sell the Bolt to install at least one 80kW CCS charger. From this article First Drive: 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV: "About 1,200 of Chevy’s 3,000 dealers will sell and service the Bolt, and each must have 480-volt, 80kW fast-charging capability in the service bay."
That article is apparently incorrect. The author may have confused the information in the owner manual about the Bolt EV using an 80 kW DC charger with the requirement that Bolt EV dealers must have a DC charger available for use in the service area.

The service DC charger apparently does not have to be 80 kW. The charger that GM is recommending to Bolt EV dealers is a relatively inexpensive 25 kW unit made by Bosch.

DCFC Charging for Bolt EV dealers

Last edited:
I thought I saw someone say that was for the Spark EV, but for the Bolt they had a different required CCS charger to install. (But I can't find it now.)
This is a quote from "WOT" at GM-Volt.com on that thread regarding that article being wrong:
Guess this guy was wrong then?

First Drive: 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV

After debuting this year in California and Oregon, the Bolt will be rolled out in all 50 states -- even the cold ones. About 1,200 of Chevy's 3,000 dealers will sell and service the Bolt, and each must have 480-volt, 80kW fast-charging capability in the service bay.
I guess so. (doesn't appear to be quoting a statement directly from GM)
Like I said, I'm going off the actual mandatory tool list for Bolt dealers.
WOT

WOT is a GM employee in a position to know the details about dealer servicing requirements for GM vehicles.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: techmaven
That article is apparently incorrect. The author may have confused the information in the owner manual about the Bolt EV using an 80 kW DC charger with the requirement that Bolt EV dealers must have a DC charger available for use in the service area.

The service DC charger apparently does not have to be 80 kW. The charger that GM is recommending to Bolt EV dealers is a relatively inexpensive 25 kW unit made by Bosch.

DCFC Charging for Bolt EV dealers
This matches with the cheaper 24kW $10k unit McRat mentioned up thread. The 50kW unit is $40k and GM doesn't even offer a 80kW unit (nor do I believe any other charger manufacturer for the US market at the moment), so it doesn't make sense to require 80kW.

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

It's probably similar to the Volt where the peak charged voltage is 403vdc as I measure with a multimeter. You will spend your whole life charging a 400v battery with 400v. from folks in 2015 who actually graphed the charging performance on the Model S 60: http://i.imgur.com/J1GoBSn.gif or 26 minutes to 90 miles.
Yup, we will see.

Great chart for planning Supercharging times ... thanks :cool:

upload_2016-12-10_23-37-48.png

• Funny
Reactions: RubberToe
It could be, but my interpretation of the article is that the journalist asked GM about what is right - GM has stated both that max charging rate is 50kW, and that it could charge at/from 80kW, both can not be true. He state that he got a clear answer that 50kW IS max charing rate, and that the 80kW clam was just that it could use a 80kW charger, but still only charge at max 50kW. So no, that is not an interpretation that makes sense. But what is written in the article does make sense except that something is fishy about the "90 miles in 30 minutes" clam or your math.

But you are free to belive exactly what you like :) We will soon see someone testing it out in practice, then we all know for sure. :)

With all this talk of clams; I'm getting hungry.

Bolt's chief engineer says he designed the Bolt as a "mini Model S". :D
Payne Q&Auto: Chevy Bolt EV’s chief speed freak

I predict The Hot Hatch EV is going to surprise many traditionalists once you swap the EPA tires with sticky tires. It's certainly not fair to compare lateral or braking G's on a car wearing TW ~500 rubber. Hot Hatches normally come with performance tires, and you can see it in their MPG numbers. Example when compared to a serious high performance sportscar:

Compare Side-by-Side

Amazing a turbo I4 doesn't get better fuel economy cruising at 70 mph than a car that will outrun a Porsche 911 without breaking a sweat or your checking account.