Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uh Oh...

bolt13_zpseu59d6po.png

Lets keep this quiet, don't want to spread FUD around...

bolt2_zps0icnqwvl.jpg

RT

Can you please post the URL for this so we can follow the progress on this event on our own? Thanks.
Yeah, he posted a graphic instead of text. Had to type in keywords.

Dead Bolt, battery suspected - Chevrolet Bolt EV Forum

It will be interesting to see where it goes. It could be a completely valid complaint, however EVs have been plagued with a disproportionate number of false reports about battery failures. IIRC, OnStar contracts with the same tow companies as AAA.

It is unlikely to actually be the traction battery. If a traction battery lost 1/2 it's capacity instantly, the fire would be very, very intense.

Last edited:
Tesla was started by ... uh...

...a real car guy who took apart tractors and rebuilt them to work better when he was a kid, who went looking for a fast, exciting performance vehicle that didn't burn oil (and wasn't an "earth shoe car" made for those who hated cars but needed one) and when he couldn't find what he was looking for, started a company to build them. Mr Musk carried the ball from there to the Model S and X.
Robin

It is unlikely to actually be the traction battery. If a traction battery lost 1/2 it's capacity instantly, the fire would be very, very intense.

I believe that only one of the 288 cells in the pack needs to drop its voltage for the capacity to look like it's cut in half. The pack is only as strong as its weakest link. I'm sure someone here smarter than me can either expand on that or put a dunce cap on my head.

Tesla was started by ... uh...

...a real car guy who took apart tractors and rebuilt them to work better when he was a kid, who went looking for a fast, exciting performance vehicle that didn't burn oil (and wasn't an "earth shoe car" made for those who hated cars but needed one) and when he couldn't find what he was looking for, started a company to build them. Mr Musk carried the ball from there to the Model S and X.
Robin
Hear it first hand in this video: Tesla Co-Founder Marc Tarpenning Shares Tesla's Story

I can't believe no one on the forum started accusing the OP of making up a story and being a stock shorter and...oh wait, nevermind, that's this forum.

Maybe because the Bolt is pretty inconsequential to GM's stock price? Does it even represent 1% of their sales so far this year? The entire platform could disappear and GM's profits might go up. If I'm an investor in GM I want to know how the next Silverado is coming along; the Bolt is an expensive rounding error.

Can some 'rational human' PLEASE explain why discounts to customers suck?

No need to explain since no one made that claim. Typical of you to try and create something out of nothing.

Why is this a sore subject?

The sore subject is your inability to make relevant points or post relevant information.

If a chair sells for $100 on Amazon today, but it was $80 last month, yet I could get one for $50 if I would accept one made in December that is the same, why is it irrational to buy the chair for $50? Or irrational to claim it was marked down $50 because it was made last Dec?

Again you miss the point and your example is flawed. If a new version of a chair sells for $100 today but an old version which has been used as a demonstrator for a year is being sold for $50 a rational person would not claim that a "new" chair was being bought for a $50 discount. You want to pretend a demo model is the same as new, it's not, that's why it gets a discount. Demo and floor models of products almost always sell for a lower price even though they have never been owned by anyone and are technically "new". Everyone knows this, including you, yet still you persist with your nonsense.

Unfortunately, Tesla is relatively overpriced for the basic functionality (transportation), very tech heavy (AP, EV, Auto-door control, etc) and not a true premium vehicle (no where close to Porsche, MB, BMW) , so the price drops "like a rock" with a new hardware upgrade that basically defines the vehicle to those that seek it.

The day the HW2 and AP2 was announced, I knew I lost an instant $30K or more in resale value of my 2016 MX, beyond the standard depreciation, and that was just 3 months after July delivery.

Part of it has to do with the Tech factor, the other is related to not holding significant changes to a Model Year, like most other manufacturers do. Therefore a 2016 MX 90D with HW1 will now sell much lower than a 2016 MX90 with HW2, although currently AP1 exceeds AP2.

It will be interesting how KBB and other vehicle valuation processes differentiate this in the years to come.

Also, Tesla just wants to dump the old inventory to get cash, unlike using independent dealerships that would make the initial profits then take the hurt at the end of the season. Adding CPO just adds to the wait for service by the original premium-price owners.

Just like consumer electronics, only those of use who crave the "Latest and Greatest" will pay "stupid" money for a Tesla, while the intelligent ones with patience can enjoy them eventually, for a more reasonable price....

....I learned my lesson... until HW5 is released...., probably still won't be FSD-approved by then.

If you don't look on US alone but instead the hole world GM managed to deliver 2085 Bolt /Ampera-e in April according to ev-blogspot.com. As they only show top 10 for April I can't see the total numbers but in the end of July when the total numbers of deliveries for the first half of the year comes the writer normally present top 20 so then we should get a number. Will be interesting how many GM will deliver, will they come up to around 30 000 this year or stay around 2000 a month? If we should compare Bolt vs Model 3 in the end of the year I think we should compare sales in the hole world and not only US even if Tesla probably won't start delivere Model 3 outside US this year.

EV Sales: World Top 10 May

Took a completely stock Bolt to a local autocross event yesterday (yes, the Bolt). Was my first time ever, but it was a blast. When I went through tech inspection, the guy popped the hood, look at the "engine" bay for a couple seconds, then went "I don't know what I'm looking at!". I was the only EV at the event with 118 entries.

Was talking to some regulars, and they said they never saw a Tesla at an event. Said they are too heavy for the format to do well. Vettes, Miatas, Mustangs, and the like ruled the day (Vette turned FTD).

Me? Uh....I wasn't the slowest. Driver was definitely the limiting factor. Here's one of my runs. Forgive the crappy video quality.

2017-07-02_19.26.47.jpg

I believe that only one of the 288 cells in the pack needs to drop its voltage for the capacity to look like it's cut in half. The pack is only as strong as its weakest link. I'm sure someone here smarter than me can either expand on that or put a dunce cap on my head.
Yes, this is correct. For a top balanced battery (pretty much all production EVs are top balanced), when you hit 0% SOC (or whatever lower SOC limit is set by manufacturer) on the weakest module, the BMS will stop allowing discharge. Thus you are limited by the weakest module in the pack.

The Bolt runs 288 cells (3 cells parallel and 96 of these parallel units in series). If one cell dies, then the pack as a whole immediately loses 1/3 of its capacity.

The Leaf is similar (2 cells parallel and 96 parallel units in series, total 192 cells), but I haven't heard of a similar issue (esp. so soon after release).

I do wonder if this is cell or BMS related.

Last edited: