Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is struggling to build the Model 3 — and that could be great news for the Chevy Bolt

Model 3 production woes definitely won't hurt Bolt sales, that's for sure.
The biggest thing that will help the Bolt EV for the rest of this calendar year is rumors of the demise of the Federal Tax Credit, or even more, the actual demise of the tax credit. I'm sure if there is a hard sunset of 12/31/17 on the tax credit every single Bolt EV on dealer lots will be sold.

We assume that they are losing money on each car but make it up with ZEV credits. Another $7500 price drop may well be a bridge too far for them to justify.

What is cute is the No Win situation GM is in with the Bolt. If they lose money on them, it's a pure compliance car. If they make a profit, it's because GM is pricing them too high deliberately to force people to buy large pickups and SUVs.

The reality is GM has now produced about 20,000 Bolt/AmperaE's for all markets, and has about 4,000 inventory cars on lots. At the rate of 3,000 a month for North America, that's not much inventory. There might a shortage in the US at most dealers this winter.

What is cute is the No Win situation GM is in with the Bolt. If they lose money on them, it's a pure compliance car. If they make a profit, it's because GM is pricing them too high deliberately to force people to buy large pickups and SUVs.

The reality is GM has now produced about 20,000 Bolt/AmperaE's for all markets, and has about 4,000 inventory cars on lots. At the rate of 3,000 a month for North America, that's not much inventory. There might a shortage in the US at most dealers this winter.

As long as the specter of the GOP killing the fed tax credit looms over the market, there should be an increased urgency for EV buyers to lock in a deal before the clock strikes 2018 . As it's very likely not a single non-NDA Model 3 will be delivered to a "regular" person this year, if someone wants a 200+ mile, <$40k BEV, the Bolt is the only game in town that's available to purchase off the lot: the Bolt EV.
And even if the GOP does not succeed in killing the EV tax credit this year, they could always try again early next year, and make such a credit killing bill retroactive to 31 Dec 2017.

I wouldn't be surprised if average transaction prices for Bolts increases over the next 8 weeks, as demand for Bolts starts to outstrip supply as more people push up their purchase decisions to quality for the $7,500.

Where do you get the 2018 Bolt is getting a price increase?

I never said it was. I was talking about the Ampera-e. Here is the quote from the linked article:

That’s roughly a ~$5,500 USD increase on the agreed upon price and it’s on top of an across the board price increase for the 2018 version of the all-electric, which is what those buyers will get since 2017 inventory is already sold out.

It represents roughly a price increase from NOK 289,900 (~$35,500 USD) to NOK 349,900 (~$43,000) since the launch of the Ampera E in Norway.

So it looks like the 2018 model year increase for the Ampera-e is ~$2,000.

Where do you get the 2018 Bolt is getting a price increase?
here in Norway, all ppl with reservations and delivery times 2018 has been notified of this.. they now get another $5500 price jump in adition to the previous $1500. and the cars are delayed until 2019-2020.

most had an original delivery estimate late 2017. and we have a bunch of angry former reservation holders

Didn't you see that GM just raised the price of the Ampera-e by ~$5,500? (On top of the increase in price coming with the 2018 model year.)

Chevy Bolt EV (Ampera E) gets a $5,500 price increase in Europe because of GM, says Opel

GM sold off their European operations. They basically do not want to sell that car to anyone else.

Where is that information from? GM's stated goal is to sell the Bolt at a profit. If you believe they will drop the price by $7500, I am surprised they did not issue a press release that they hit their goal already.

GM and other EV makers are actively lobbying to keep the EV federal rebate.

All I'm saying is if the credit goes away the price will drop. If not, the car will go away.

Why would you want one of these ugly cars, and after 200 miles what do you do!
Pickup are ugly and so are SUVs. Some folk want them. Basically for some folk anything without a Tesla emblem is ugly. Rating cars on Fashion is losing battle. Fashion Changes. You might find this hard to believe but Pontiac Azteks are now considered fashionable, and CJ5 (it's a short box with tires and virtually useless for road transportation) has always been good looking.

What do you do with any EV when the battery is discharged and there is no charger available? You call a tow truck. There are no exceptions except EREVs.

Sonoma is just under 1,000 miles round trip from here. While I would fly, if I had to drive (not sure why) a Bolt, there is DCFC support between the two. The biggest DCFC CCS gap is 53 miles. There are more than 100 DCFC CCS chargers on that route. I almost want to rent from Maven just to prove how many folk are full of crappola.

Just because Jerry and Friends stabbed us in the back, there was DCFC before his admin promised EV support for California and before he halted progress on the VW EV project.

Reactions: dhrivnak
GM sold off their European operations. They basically do not want to sell that car to anyone else.

All I'm saying is if the credit goes away the price will drop. If not, the car will go away.

1) Cadillac and Chevrolet sell select $$$ models in Europe. There is a certain clientele who likes large powerful RWD track cars. Even at a wicked premium. Go figure. The best Chevys are Ferrari/Porsche Killers at the track. And even with the big markup are still cheaper.

2) At $37,500 with zero incentives (includes destination), the Bolt is still not expensive for 6.3s>60mph EV with actual room for 4 real adults.
Actual California price with no Fed/State monies for a Premier with 360° View, digital rearview, DC2, DCFC is: $39k before sales tax.
A BMW i3 (non-REx stripper, 114mi EPA, no backup camera, cheap radio, cloth) is $45,445. 7.x seconds to 60mph, small interior.

Can you think of another EV that matches it today? Yes, the Model 3 surpasses it, but it's not available to mortals, and is unlikely to be available to buy in January.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
1) Cadillac and Chevrolet sell select $$$ models in Europe. There is a certain clientele who likes large powerful RWD track cars. Even at a wicked premium. Go figure. The best Chevys are Ferrari/Porsche Killers at the track. And even with the big markup are still cheaper.

2) At $37,500 with zero incentives (includes destination), the Bolt is still not expensive for 6.3s>60mph EV with actual room for 4 real adults.
Actual California price with no Fed/State monies for a Premier with 360° View, digital rearview, DC2, DCFC is: $39k before sales tax.
A BMW i3 (non-REx stripper, 114mi EPA, no backup camera, cheap radio, cloth) is $45,445. 7.x seconds to 60mph, small interior.

Can you think of another EV that matches it today? Yes, the Model 3 surpasses it, but it's not available to mortals, and is unlikely to be available to buy in January.

so talking about Ampera and then going to Bolt pricing?...
>It represents roughly a price increase from NOK 289,900 (~$35,500 USD) to NOK 349,900 (~$43,000) since the launch of the Ampera E in Norway.

quick googling shows i3 price form 280,000 NOK, so was cheaper, will be much cheaper then Ampera...

so talking about Ampera and then going to Bolt pricing?...
>It represents roughly a price increase from NOK 289,900 (~$35,500 USD) to NOK 349,900 (~$43,000) since the launch of the Ampera E in Norway.

quick googling shows i3 price form 280,000 NOK, so was cheaper, will be much cheaper then Ampera...

AmperaE is an Opel. GM only sells Cadillac and Chevrolet models, and only ICE high-performance cars.

If BMW is losing money selling i3's in the US, how could they charge even less in Europe and make money? In any case, the i3 is only a 100 class EV still. It should be cheaper than a 200 class car that is faster and larger.

200,000 NOK for a stripped i3, or 350,000 for a loaded AmperaE? I'll take the AmperaE.

Last edited: