Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason so few are in stock (I take it you are in CA) is because Bolt demand has increased so much that even volume dealers are SELLING OUT. Anyone in the SF bay area (probably the Bolt's #1 market), try calling a Bolt-certified Chevy dealer and ask if they have any Bolts. You'll probably get laughed at.
I just read a post on another forum where a dealer rep stated they sold out of new Bolt inventory as soon as they came in. Literally, there are waiting lists for Bolts at many volume dealers due to demand. GM may need to start adding shifts at the Bolt's factory soon.

Compliance car? More like the tip of the iceberg.

Nope! We live in Arizona. There has never been inventory here yet. He had to buy a black car because their was no other choice. Chevy from the start has seemingly not rolled this car out very well across the country. They appear to have throttled the numbers from the very beginning.

How many ZEV credits does GM receive for each sale in the 39 non-CARB states they are selling the Bolt in?
Oh wait, why are they even selling Bolts in the 39 non-CARB states if it is a compliance car? And why make a compliance car the focus of their robo-taxi fleet that will launch in 2019? And what's the point of launching 20 more BEVs by 2023 if the Bolt is all they need for compliance?

GM also recently announced they will sell Bolts in the UAE/middle east. How many ZEV credits does GM receive in the UAE again? Wait, what? 0 you say? GM is really screwing up their compliance car effort! Selling in all these places where they receive 0 credits!

Your "compliance car" rant has more holes than a piece of swiss cheese.

Um... There was a movie produced called "Who killed the electric car?". I don't think that GM wants to be portrayed in that light again... So, they tell the world that they have changed and are producing these cars for more than just compliance. But... it appears that this (so far) is what they only really care about.

I’m glad to see any car manufacturer do a BEV, I think if the head of any car company is not to old they will realize that this is the future and is not just a compliance car. Personally so far none of the manufactures has a car that I would buy over the Tesla, they are all ugly. Maybe the Ipace Jaguar next year.

Adding in those other countries totals less than 24K. Extrapolating out another month of sales is only 26K. Even if you allow for the recent rise it's still less than projected, yet if there's really demand for even more the lack of additional production is puzzling.

If lack of planned production is the argument you are making, then the Model 3 surely is the most compliant car of them all.

• Funny
Reactions: scaesare
If lack of planned production is the argument you are making, then the Model 3 surely is the most compliant car of them all.
The thing is under no definition of compliance car (even if you use the strictest version where even the Leaf qualifies as a compliance car) can the Model 3 (or any other Tesla) be considered a compliance car. This is because given Tesla makes no ICE vehicles there is no quota Tesla has to meet for "compliance".

OK. If you want to play games with if they will miss the 30K target by 2 vs 3K I really don't care.

It seems you don't want to discuss the larger issue that's been raised multiple times, so no sense prolonging the thread...
If I recall the Bolt had a slow roll out. Not nearly as slow as the Model 3 but they still had a ramp. I for one give GM some credit here of First to market an affordable long range EV. But that was 2017. For 2018 I will be betting on Tesla.

If I recall the Bolt had a slow roll out. Not nearly as slow as the Model 3 but they still had a ramp. I for one give GM some credit here of First to market an affordable long range EV. But that was 2017. For 2018 I will be betting on Tesla.
I actually am pro the idea of other manufacturers introducing EV's and have been an advocate for the Bolt for some time. Feel free to look at my post history regarding the Bolt for the last few years.

The issue I have is with the possibility that GM may be playing compliance car games rather than giving it an opportunity to make a real difference by aggressively marketing it and driving volume.

The issue I have is with the possibility that GM may be playing compliance car games rather than giving it an opportunity to make a real difference by aggressively marketing it and driving volume.

The issue I have with it, is why did they have to make it so homely? If the styling weren't so frumpy, I'd probably be driving one now.

The issue I have with it, is why did they have to make it so homely? If the styling weren't so frumpy, I'd probably be driving one now.
Yeah the styling isn't my cup of tea either. But I do acknowledge that there's a whole market of folks who find the hatch design and styling of vehicles like the Qube, Versa, Fit, Scion Hatch (can't think of the name), etc... worthy of purchase.

There's lots of room in the EV market for segmentation. I just wish GM was trying to sell 10x of these as they seem to be. As I said a coupe of years ago: I wish these things went like hotcakes and GM was so pleasantly surprised they had no choice but to take the market more seriously.

Reactions: 2virgule5
I just wish GM was trying to sell 10x of these as they seem to be

Would making 10x as many put GM in pole-position when they bring out their Next Gen BEV?

Or can they achieve that anyway with the volume they are producing?

If the later, and given that apart from Tesla they have no long range BEV competition, perhaps they intended to have minimal risk at this point, and a high-volume killer-nextgen in the pipeline?

Whenever I ponder these things, other than Tesla, the question that pops into my head is "Where are all the BEV car makers going to get the batteries from?" when they ramp up to much higher numbers of cars

Would making 10x as many put GM in pole-position when they bring out their Next Gen BEV?

Or can they achieve that anyway with the volume they are producing?

If the later, and given that apart from Tesla they have no long range BEV competition, perhaps they intended to have minimal risk at this point, and a high-volume killer-nextgen in the pipeline?

Whenever I ponder these things, other than Tesla, the question that pops into my head is "Where are all the BEV car makers going to get the batteries from?" when they ramp up to much higher numbers of cars

Exactly what I've been saying for a couple of years. Ultimately the BEV market is battery limited and production has to ramp up 100X the GigaFactory to replace all ICE production.

Another thing is GM relied heavily on LG to make the Bolt and they might find out it's a relationship like Microsoft and IBM back in the day. I strongly suspect LG is looking to jump into the BEV market themselves and they are using GM to learn how to make cars. They have more experience making machinery than any other battery maker (they make large appliances). They could take all their battery production in house and produce LG BEVs instead of just batteries and companies like GM will just be screwed.

Contractually they may need to supply a certain number of batteries to car makers, but those contracts are for low volume production cars. GM would be stuck only able to make 30-50K BEVs a year while LG is cranking out a few hundred K.

Tesla saw how important batteries were and they made sure they can control their own production. If Panasonic wanted to break off the partnership, Tesla owns the factory. It would disrupt things for a short while, but Tesla could either partner with someone else or just go into production themselves and Panasonic knows it.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
If Panasonic wanted to break off the partnership, Tesla owns the factory. It would disrupt things for a short while, but Tesla could either partner with someone else or just go into production themselves and Panasonic knows it.

If Panasonic leaves the Reno (Sparks) location they can't simply take their newly trained American workers back to Japan. Or even to a new American facility in the Midwest or South to serve legacy automakers.

I am sure the vast majority would take a Tesla offer of employment.