Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are maaaaybe at 1000 units per week now and have pushed back their 5k/week target to june ( and that is still Elon time ).
And even if 2/3rds of all reservation holders are waiting for later versions that number would still boil down to at least mid 2019 for new customers .....and even that only if Tesla can keep their promises this time.

Well, let`s just say I congratulate you for your optimistic character :D

If they manage 5000 a week by the end of Q2 and maintain around 1000 a week for the first half of the year, that's 26,000 cars in the first half of the year and 130,000 in the second. I strongly doubt they will suddenly jump from 1000 a week to 5000, it will likely be a progression allowing for production of around 50,000 or so the first half of this year. If they manage 50K + 130K, that's 180K total, which is close to half the reservations. If half delay, they will be into new orders by early next year.

Another factor in international deliveries is going to be how the incentive taper plays out in the US. With the delay getting production going in the US, they may open up configuration for international deliveries (at least left hand drive) earlier than expected to keep below the 200K line longer. Though I would expect the first orders to be filled would be Canadian.

Another factor in international deliveries is going to be how the incentive taper plays out in the US. With the delay getting production going in the US, they may open up configuration for international deliveries (at least left hand drive) earlier than expected to keep below the 200K line longer. Though I would expect the first orders to be filled would be Canadian.

It's been discussed to death in this thread, about mid-page here. The only paths to that would involve nigh catastrophic failure on the Model 3 line. Barring a string of VERY BAD THINGS happening at Tesla, they are going to hit 200K total lifetime US vehicle deliveries in 2018 Q2. Probably in April.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Is it too soon for rumors on the 2019 Bolt?
It's slated to start production in August for shipping in September/October. 2018 will be short run.
This lends one to believe that there is something in works for the 2019 much like the short run 2016 Volt which added ACC and better safety systems for the 2017 model year.
Autonomy/safety tech is a strong possibility. Not full autonomy, but at least the level of Super Cruise.

GM has said the goal right now for the Bolt is to be the first profitable EV on the market. That might take precedence over any investment in engineering changes though.

I love the comments about actually being able to buy one when referring to a Bolt.
If Tesla had to double the world's production of LiOn cells to have a snow ball's chance of delivering 1/2MM cars per year, why to people think something like a Bolt has a chance of being produced in anything more than compliance numbers? I guess it is accurate to say you can buy one but that is only because no one else wants to.

A lot of us wish GM would at least use voltec in their trucks and suv's but they haven't so far. So there is some skepticism when it comes to fully electrifying them.
Actually, they already did that between 2008-2013 but in full hybrid style without a larger externally rechargeable battery. GM discovered that truck and SUV buyers at that time didn’t care much about mpg efficiency (surprise!) and were often ideologically hostile to “green”. Toyota’s marketing folks were much more sensible and focused on smaller cars and sold the better mpgs to people who cared.

Today’s Voltec is an engineering evolution of that earlier design and was actually derived and patented way back in 2001. The version used in the RWD Cadillac CT6 can likely be used today in a truck or SUV with little change. The real question is whether there is a significant market this time. Note that Ford and Toyota have talked about hybrid trucks but have not actually sold any but have had some success with smaller SUVs.

• Informative
Reactions: diamond.g
That would be even better.

A Bolt-based crossover/SUV with AWD would easily outsell the Model 3 and we'd actually be able to buy one.

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." - Yogi Berra

Before getting to any other unlikelihoods associated with that; GM doesn't have the battery supply to come anywhere near such a thing.

The digital rear view mirror and surround vision in the Bolt are already from the Cadillac design team.
Many new technologies from GM first appear in the Cadillacs such as MagneRide.

The issue here is maintaining something of differentiation between the two. They already gave the rear view mirror and "overhead camera" magic. AWD & power gate are still on the table and maybe they add that, but expect they'll keep something substantial in the control category and that seems an obvious choice. *shrug*

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." - Yogi Berra

Before getting to any other unlikelihoods associated with that; GM doesn't have the battery supply to come anywhere near such a thing.

The issue here is maintaining something of differentiation between the two. They already gave the rear view mirror and "overhead camera" magic. AWD & power gate are still on the table and maybe they add that, but expect they'll keep something substantial in the control category and that seems an obvious choice. *shrug*

Magnaride, Supercruise, dual motor AWD and Tesla like acceleration, I don't think it would be that hard to build a Cadillac CUV that's largely based on the Bolt platform and shares a bunch of parts but is clearly much more premium and suitable for comparison with a Tesla.

Outselling the 3 is of course another matter, especially given the lack of battery production.

Magnaride, Supercruise, dual motor AWD and Tesla like acceleration, I don't think it would be that hard to build a Cadillac CUV that's largely based on the Bolt platform and shares a bunch of parts but is clearly much more premium and suitable for comparison with a Tesla.

At what price?

I suppose we'd have to wait to see what the Model Y pricing comes in at, and if GM had batteries to scale production perhaps they wouldn't have this substantial $ lose/unit at current Bolt prices, but right now GM isn't competitive so much as they are in a different place in the market than Tesla vehicles so avoid direct comparison. I don't see how adding any of those options changes that.

Reactions: Krugerrand
At what price?

I suppose we'd have to wait to see what the Model Y pricing comes in at, and if GM had batteries to scale production perhaps they wouldn't have this substantial $ lose/unit at current Bolt prices, but right now GM isn't competitive so much as they are in a different place in the market than Tesla vehicles so avoid direct comparison. I don't see how adding any of those options changes that.

Given the history with the ELR and CT6, probably a whole lot of money. And they still won't have the Supercharger network or most likely OTA updates.

I wasn't predicting Tesla's imminent demise or anything - just pointing out GM has tools in the parts bin to build a real Cadillac EV that is well separated from the Bolt and stands comparison as a car to the X and upcoming iPace.