Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clock Change - Economy-7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for reminding us! I am probably over-thinking this but for those of us on Economy 7 metering, do we need to change the charging timings on our cars? My electricity supplier told me that smart meters usually retain the same time settings all year through. i.e. mine was fitted during BST and therefore runs on BST permanently. If that is correct then presumably the off-peak times are the same? o_O

Thanks @WannabeOwner I’d forgotten about that. I’m in the South East area and mine is split:

What are the Economy 7 peak and off-peak periods? | npower

Fortunately I don’t often need to charge for more than 2 or 3 hours so the break doesn’t trouble me very often.

@paso904 I also know nothing about smart meters, but knowing where you are would have thought you’d have the same issue as I do?

Reactions: curmudgeon
Reminder to change schedules for Car Charging, and from 3rd party tools like TeslaFi, if you have Economy-7 (i.e. clock-based which does not adjust the Off Peak time with the clock change)

If you have 1AM to 8AM in Summer the equivalent will be Midnight-to-7AM in Winter

Reactions: ben_c
Reminder to change schedules for Car Charging, and from 3rd party tools like TeslaFi, if you have Economy-7 (i.e. clock-based which does not adjust the Off Peak time with the clock change)

If you have 1AM to 8AM in Summer the equivalent will be Midnight-to-7AM in Winter
But don’t change it if you are on Octopus GO - their off-peak period is 0030-0430 all year round ;)

So only been at my current address for 4 months and October has been my first full month of EV ownership. Gone to submit meter reads only to find that all my charging has gone against my day rate!

Been monitoring over the last day and it turns out night and day are the wrong way round.. right now I'm using the low rate apparently.

Anyone come across this?

So only been at my current address for 4 months and October has been my first full month of EV ownership. Gone to submit meter reads only to find that all my charging has gone against my day rate!

Been monitoring over the last day and it turns out night and day are the wrong way round.. right now I'm using the low rate apparently.

Anyone come across this?
I’ve never come across it, but it sound brilliant. It means you get all day at cheap rate ;)

Anyone come across this?

Yes, happened to us, years ago, when we had a house with E7 and storage heaters. The house had been rewired just before we bought the house, and we found out fairly quickly that the rates were the wrong way around! Luckily I spotted it quickly and sorted the wiring out so that the supplies were the right way around.

Having said that, with a newer E7 meter and no storage heater circuits it shouldn't be possible for the physical wiring to be the cause, as there most probably won't be a separate E7 circuit. Do you have two separate circuits coming from the E7 meter, one for the peak rate supply and another for the off-peak supply? Older E7 installations were arranged like this so that the storage heaters were turned on and off by the meter, in effect.

• Informative
Reactions: Christiez
Yes, happened to us, years ago, when we had a house with E7 and storage heaters. The house had been rewired just before we bought the house, and we found out fairly quickly that the rates were the wrong way around! Luckily I spotted it quickly and sorted the wiring out so that the supplies were the right way around.

Having said that, with a newer E7 meter and no storage heater circuits it shouldn't be possible for the physical wiring to be the cause, as there most probably won't be a separate E7 circuit. Do you have two separate circuits coming from the E7 meter, one for the peak rate supply and another for the off-peak supply? Older E7 installations were arranged like this so that the storage heaters were turned on and off by the meter, in effect.

Not entirely sure what I'm looking at to be honest, just lots of cables!

Attachments

• 20191027_143848.jpg
    20191027_143848.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 522
That setup has the radio teleswitch contactor to switch an E7 only circuit on during the off-peak period (the black thing to the right).

However, it also looks like a newer E7 meter has been fitted, as the old teleswitch is a couple of decades or so older than the meter (it dates back to long before the privatisation of the old electricity boards). It also doesn't look as if the teleswitch is actually controlling anything now, as there only seems to be a single pair of tails going off to the consumer unit towards the right of the photo (those thick wires at the bottom). At one time, the teleswitch probably switched a night storage heater system, I suspect.

The good news is that the problem seems to be with the meter rates, most probably rate 1 is being recorded as rate 2 and vice versa. This is the suppliers problem to resolve, not an issue with the wiring in the house, so get them around pronto to sort it.

Not entirely sure what I'm looking at to be honest, just lots of cables!

Looking at that grey box, in the middle, it has a sticker "Rate 1 = Normal, Rate 2 = Low"

At the top of the little display screen it looks as though there is a "Rate 1 2 3 4 ..." indicator, so I am guessing that there is a "mark" next to the 1 or 2, depending on which rate is "active".

Would be worth checking that it changes from 1-to-2 and back from 2-to-1 at the correct time

Looking at that grey box, in the middle, it has a sticker "Rate 1 = Normal, Rate 2 = Low"

At the top of the little display screen it looks as though there is a "Rate 1 2 3 4 ..." indicator, so I am guessing that there is a "mark" next to the 1 or 2, depending on which rate is "active".

Would be worth checking that it changes from 1-to-2 and back from 2-to-1 at the correct time

As it stands, the rate 2 marker is flashing and I've checked over the last few hours to find rate 2 is going up whereas rate 1 remains constant.

At 8am this morning it was using rate 1 and changed to rate 2 sometime between 8am and 12pm. Going to keep checking to see when it switches again.

Will contact Bulb tomorrow to see what they say.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Sounds very much as if the rates are the wrong way around to me. It may be that the clock in the meter is out, perhaps, as the normal convention is that rate 1 is peak rate and rate 2 is the off-peak rate, just as the sticker on the meter states.

Can you read the time on the display? Some E7 meters have a button to scroll the display to show time, totals for rate 1 and rate 2, etc, so if you can get to see the displayed time it may give a clue.