Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coated windshield impacting door openers and EZpass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So looking at Steve841's picture... my car is different. Can't take a pic at the moment as the S is the wife's daily driver and she's at work but in our car to the right of the mirror there are just black dots. It's not solid black like in Steve's picture. Our Fastrak (uses batteries) works just fine in that area (I hold it up against the windshield). Obviously Tesla changed something and maybe the dots allow more signal through?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone here try mounting it behind the plastic panel on the nose cone?
I think sublimaze1 is going to try it this weekend - he's posting in the Sig vs GP Nosecone thread.

So looking at Steve841's picture... my car is different. Can't take a pic at the moment as the S is the wife's daily driver and she's at work but in our car to the right of the mirror there are just black dots. It's not solid black like in Steve's picture. Our Fastrak (uses batteries) works just fine in that area (I hold it up against the windshield). Obviously Tesla changed something and maybe the dots allow more signal through?

Mine has the dots and nothing works there at all (have tried 3 different ones).
Also tried Steve841's method yesterday, with no success.

My OCD with my vehicle prevents me from sticking anything to the windows .... that SunPass stays hidden any other time.

I have the SunPass mini in my current car and from the driver's seat, I cannot see it since it is placed just lateral to the rear view mirror stalk. Plus the Mini will not work after it is removed. Great for security, not so great since I might have to try it out in different locations to find the sweet spot. My development also uses an RFID chip on a tiny sticker to get me through the gate. Ahhhh, the burbs.

Has anyone in Florida tried the SunPass Mini yet?

Doesn't work for us in Washington State, either. I hate the ugly license plate bracket mounts. I'm going to try the motorcycle headlamp version.

- - - Updated - - -

In the Seattle area we have a "Good To Go" pass that uses RFID. I stuck it where they recommend; on the windshield a couple of inches below the rear-view mirror. It works fine.

Weird because it doesn't work for me or another local...

In the Seattle area we have a "Good To Go" pass that uses RFID. I stuck it where they recommend; on the windshield a couple of inches below the rear-view mirror. It works fine.

Thanks for that info. It is beginning to appear that the windshields seem to vary from car to car. Some people are having success and others not.

You said it is a few inches below the mirror. I thought Tesla recommended it lateral to the stalk toward the passenger side.

You said it is a few inches below the mirror. I thought Tesla recommended it lateral to the stalk toward the passenger side.

I meant I put it where GoodToGo recommends you put it. In the center of the windshield, two inches below the mirror mount. It has worked fine for us so far.

But, my wife hasn't taken the car to Seattle very many times. Given epley's report, I'll have to keep an eye on the GoodToGo reports to make sure they keep detecting it.

I meant I put it where GoodToGo recommends you put it. In the center of the windshield, two inches below the mirror mount. It has worked fine for us so far.

But, my wife hasn't taken the car to Seattle very many times. Given epley's report, I'll have to keep an eye on the GoodToGo reports to make sure they keep detecting it.

I don't know about where you live but camera based plate readers are typically more reliable than the RFID tags. In Atlanta they are using camera based plate readers as the primary method, and RFID tag reads as a secondary method of determining your car.

They stopped giving out powered RFID tags when they did this and moved to the sticker passive variety. They use the same technology as Texas's EZ Pass, but they are not running on compatible systems.

In Florida they will use the license plate as a backup in case they miss the RFID tag. My main concern is toll booths that have an automatic gate that should go up if it detects the SunPass. These are becoming fewer as time goes on, but for now I still have to deal with them occasionally.

Here's another post with a possible solution that I came across.
Mounted-MA-EZ-Pass-behind-front-grill-here-s-how

Check it out.

I might use that option to mount my development's RFID gate pass if I find it doesn't work on the windshield.

However in Florida, I am eligible to use the HOV lane as well as 95 Express. 95 Express is two lanes that require a fee to use it unless you are a registered carpool or hybrid/electric vehicle. In the case of the Model S, I would need to shield my RFID tag/SunPass as I pass through to avoid being charged, so I need access to the pass. Once the pass is shielded they record the plate and I will be in the database as an electric vehicle, thus won't be charged for using the lanes. It's a convoluted process no doubt, but that's Florida.

For what it's worth, I finally found a place that the SunPass (in Florida) worked - at least a couple of times. It is right below the mirror mound (directly below the center) with the pass just into the clear part of the windshield below the black part of the mirror mount.

Regards... Keith

For what it's worth, I finally found a place that the SunPass (in Florida) worked - at least a couple of times. It is right below the mirror mound (directly below the center) with the pass just into the clear part of the windshield below the black part of the mirror mount.

Regards... Keith

Are you saying that the whole pass is in the clear part, or just a piece of it is in the clear part? Also, can you describe the orientation of the SunPass (and which type you are using)?

He's describing pretty much the pic I previously posted....

I'm not sure that's what he's describing. Your picture is off the windshield, and it's not clear from his description whether his is or not. Also, he didn't describe which SunPass he is using. In any case, I have matched your picture several times and gotten nothing. I'm trying to figure out whether or not I have a defective windshield or not.

So a few months ago I found that the the black spot area beside the mirror worked well for the VA EZ Pass. Then I cracked the windshield and had it replaced. That spot no longer works. Testing done at the VDOT location in Herndon. So correct, some windshields do and some don't. In re-reading the thread, I never tried the area below the mirror, will try that sometime.

I'll try to get you a picture tomorrow...

Here's the location from the inside - worked three out of four times last week....
photo of sunpass 2.jpg