Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Combined Charging System (CCS) 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting.

It appears that the concept is built around a 31.25kW "Power Module". A "Station" (the actual unit with cables") can contain 2 modules (62.5kW), and stations can be conjoined and share a total of 125kW between them.

For higher powers, you can instead link the stations to "Power Cubes", which can have up to 16 Power Modules in it, which allow various power configurations for up to 400kW and/or 8 Stations.

Pretty cool... I hope that:

1) There's a serious chance that an additional high-power network is built out
2) They opt to indeed engineer stations for more than the minimum power capable.
3) They use the capability to host a 3rd type of charging cable as an opportunity to license Tesla's connector :)

I hope the best for this.

Last edited:
400kW sounds impressive but again that is at 1000V and 400A. So in real world use with the voltage of today's packs it won't be much faster than what Tesla is currently doing (I forgot the exact numbers, but with the 120kW it's over 350A).

So it looks like all the 350-400kW next gen standards are depending on high voltage (800V-1000V). This has the advantage of using similar size conductors (insulation aside), but the problem is backwards compatibility with older 500V chargers, unless the pack can be reconfigured to half voltage on the fly.

400kW sounds impressive but again that is at 1000V and 400A. So in real world use with the voltage of today's packs it won't be much faster than what Tesla is currently doing (I forgot the exact numbers, but with the 120kW it's over 350A).

So it looks like all the 350-400kW next gen standards are depending on high voltage (800V-1000V). This has the advantage of using similar size conductors (insulation aside), but the problem is backwards compatibility with older 500V chargers, unless the pack can be reconfigured to half voltage on the fly.
Using some relais you can reconfigure a pack on the fly I think

Probably to charge bigger packs rapidly or new chemistry which can sustain it longer

Well, you mentioned this as a big difference between these and Tesla's connector. and,until we know if the latter is at it's current limit or not, I'm not sure we can say that it's an issue. After all, we thought the Tesla connectors were maxed out at 330A until the newer packs came along and found out they could do 365A.

Additionally, we already know that Tesla has a liquid cooled supercharger/cable design, so longer sustained usage at those current levels may be quite possible.

I highly doubt that. The Tesla connector can handle 365A for a short period before it needs to cool down. Luckily the battery can't handle the high current either so throttling starts.

The CCS connector is rated for 350A for a long continuous time/period. That's a big difference between Tesla's connector and CCS. One is peak current, other one is continuous.

Unless you actually tested the Tesla charge couplers, I can assure you Tesla has not released any data on the duty cycle of their plugs. So I suggest that you might be speculating.

In addition, it appears that this Phoenix Contact plug can only handle 400 A for a certain period of time and 350 A continuous. It would not be accurate to say that "the" CCS plug is capable of this load, but instead this modified plug with a liquid cooling system built by this company can handle that load.

I'm confident that you can foresee that Tesla will also have liquid cooled cable and plugs in the future, since they have already publicly deployed test units almost 2 years ago. While Tesla is limited to 365 A today without cooling, I will strongly suggest that it will be a higher value in the not-too-distant future, probably with liquid or other cooling methods.

Additionally, we already know that Tesla has a liquid cooled supercharger/cable design, so longer sustained usage at those current levels may be quite possible.

You mean they had a liquid cooled Supercharge cable design. (Actually they had one in public testing but have since removed it, so we have no idea if they have anything else in the works, but we can assume that what they were testing didn't work out long term.)

You mean they had a liquid cooled Supercharge cable design.
I doubt they lost the design documents, so I assume they still have them. ;)

(Actually they had one in public testing but have since removed it, so we have no idea if they have anything else in the works, but we can assume that what they were testing didn't work out long term.)

Or... they gathered the data they needed and drew some possible conclusions:

1) They reduced temperatures as intended, but added complexity that weren't needed with the current design

2) Will provide additional power handling headroom if/when the demand was there

Pretty cool... I hope that:

3) They use the capability to host a 3rd type of charging cable as an opportunity to license Tesla's connector :)

(responding to my own post)

I note the Specs Page says: "Universal Compatibility: Any EV with fast charging capabilities can be accommodated with up to three different connector types, configurable per station."

So if any EV fast-charge capable EV can be accommodated... that must include Teslas, right?

• Funny
Reactions: hiroshiy
(responding to my own post)

I note the Specs Page says: "Universal Compatibility: Any EV with fast charging capabilities can be accommodated with up to three different connector types, configurable per station."

So if any EV fast-charge capable EV can be accommodated... that must include Teslas, right?

Maybe via the ChaDeMo adapter?

Reactions: MP3Mike
And their DC (CCS) stations are 25kW instead of 50kW like most CCS/ChaDeMo DC stations out there.

That's not completely true.

The Bosch marketed, French built units that VW and BMW paid for and gave to ChargePoint are indeed 25kW. The very first DC charger on the ChargePoint network many years ago (that I was part owner of) was also 25kW. That Fuji unit has been retired.

But, the Tritium Veefil that ChargePoint has deployed is indeed 125 amps "50kW".

Reactions: McRat