Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only see it mentioned once above, and I only went back a couple pages.....but in the 2 minutes I had to play with it, USB IS FIXED. (at least mostly?)

Artist>Album>Song is back, the alphabetic quick access is back on the right side.

Basically it works like the pre-8.0 media player....but with the new cosmetics....which is fine with me.

I know that may not be what some of you were asking for, but having USB useful again was my #1 concern with 8.0 and it seems its been addressed. Not to speculate toooooo much but it looks to me like the USB just wasnt done when Elon's 8.0 deadline came.....so it was pushed out unfinished. NOW with the finished version it looks much more like an evolution of the previous media player instead of the mess that we have had since the initial 8.0 release.
We really need to compare it to the whole list before determining if it is *fixed* or not. And the possible reduction of power output to the USB ports needs to be confirmed as well. All that being said, I'm very thankful to all of you, as well as the dev team, and the people from service/support that carried our concerns along. It required a lot of work, (way more than it should on the ownership side) to get resolution to these items.

yeah, plenty to still go over to see how many items are addressed, but the alphabetical and browsing issues we crippling, making the USB functions difficult at best, completely useless at worst. Im just happy that it all works like it used to!

I only had a couple minutes with it this morning but Ill be driving for a couple hours later this afternoon and should be able to see in more depth how much of an improvement we are looking at.

It is too early to slam this thing shut, but I do want to thank @supratachophobia for starting and "curating" (i.e., bumping/padding whenever possible;)) this thread, thus keeping it visible to get a result. I think he did it in a much more positive and productive way than many of the other "I've been screwed" threads I've tracked.

It is too early to slam this thing shut, but I do want to thank @supratachophobia for starting and "curating" (i.e., bumping/padding whenever possible;)) this thread, thus keeping it visible to get a result. I think he did it in a much more positive and productive way than many of the other "I've been screwed" threads I've tracked.

Absolutely my pleasure to help in any way possible. Never forget that by voicing your opinion, you make things better for you, every other current owner, AND every future owner. To the point where making the software better now, could mean make or break sales to future owners.

Reactions: trils0n and MP3Mike
I also want to thank @BertL in addition to @supratachophobia for testing and documenting every bug in detail. Also, all the people that sent emails to [email protected] to get this front and center.

I wish we could have the same impact on Nav. ;)

It's exactly the same drive that was working 2 days ago with v7
As I mentioned, my car is many miles away, but from web search I'm pretty sure my drive that works with 8.0 is: Toshiba Canvio 1TB USB3.0 hard drive, purchased in early 2013

Drive has worked in Tesla since installed in early 2013, and still worked with 8.0. At least it worked with the 1 month ago release of 8.0. I guess it is also possible that mine does not work with the new USB changes in newest update of 8.0.

I wish some others with HDDs would chime in here as to what brand and whether it is working with 8.0. Not qualitative details like how long it takes to load, but does the car recognize the device.

I don't know about your fallback @doctorwho, but mine is 256GB thumb drive, which can be had under $100.

Certainly nice to give credit where is due, but I don't think this is quite over yet. I just spent 5 minutes (between tricker treaters) with .40 and found some weirdness.

First, I need to strip off the Disk-Track from the front of the track files since that now defeats the search by song or quick access by first letter of the song; undo the work-around.

The big problem I found was confusion regarding duplicate album names. For example, both Joey Alexander and John Coltrane have albums titled "My Favorite Things". Accessing by artist quickly gets me to John Coltrane and lists his albums. Then I selected "My Favorite Things" and there were all the tracks from both John Coltrane and Joey Alexander! Same thing if I went to Joey Alexander, then "My Favorite Things"; I got both John and Joey's tracks.

My USB is organized Genre/Artist/Album/Tracks. I double checked the tagging in both albums (from the files on the USB) and they are correctly tagged. The MP is building its own index and only using Album name, not Artist/Album. I haven't had time to check, but you can imagine what his would do with "Greatest Hits"! Find one, you get them all; the hits keep happening!

• Informative
Reactions: jgs and BertL
Certainly nice to give credit where is due, but I don't think this is quite over yet. I just spent 5 minutes (between tricker treaters) with .40 and found some weirdness.

First, I need to strip off the Disk-Track from the front of the track files since that now defeats the search by song or quick access by first letter of the song; undo the work-around.

The big problem I found was confusion regarding duplicate album names. For example, both Joey Alexander and John Coltrane have albums titled "My Favorite Things". Accessing by artist quickly gets me to John Coltrane and lists his albums. Then I selected "My Favorite Things" and there were all the tracks from both John Coltrane and Joey Alexander! Same thing if I went to Joey Alexander, then "My Favorite Things"; I got both John and Joey's tracks.

My USB is organized Genre/Artist/Album/Tracks. I double checked the tagging in both albums (from the files on the USB) and they are correctly tagged. The MP is building its own index and only using Album name, not Artist/Album. I haven't had time to check, but you can imagine what his would do with "Greatest Hits"! Find one, you get them all; the hits keep happening!

Oh geez. That just sounds like another corner case that all software MP3 players found to be a problem early on over the years. Are you saying that if you select that particular album under the album list, it puts together a list that has all the songs from both of the different artist's albums? So 2 x 10 tracks would give you a list of 20 tracks?

And I like it that the hits keep coming, in both figurative senses.

Oh geez. That just sounds like another corner case that all software MP3 players found to be a problem early on over the years. Are you saying that if you select that particular album under the album list, it puts together a list that has all the songs from both of the different artist's albums? So 2 x 10 tracks would give you a list of 20 tracks?

And I like it that the hits keep coming, in both figurative senses.
Yes. Navigating to Artist > John Coltrane > My Favorite Things, OR Album > My Favorite Things - presents me with 15 tracks, 6 from John Coltrane, 9 from Joey Alexander.

I've stripped the Disk-Track numbers off my file names so now the Tesla is reindexing my USB. I'm guessing that this bug will make it impossible to play either album in sequence, the tracks from both will be interwoven.

With .40 can you access via folder and then only see the album/sings you want? Or are they still apparently merged?
When I access via Folders, rather than Artist or Album, the contents are not merged. Navigating to Jazz > John Coltrane > My Favorite Things everything looked good. But when I tried to play, it wouldn't play.

This was only a 2 minute check, I haven't got time for a full regression analysis. See further post below.

Last edited:
It's clear that .40 needs a full controlled test as I'm seeing a lot of weirdness this morning but don't have time to dig deep. Here's the situation.

As reported earlier, .40 mixes tracks with have the same Album Name. Last night I removed my USB stick, renamed all the files to strip away the Disk-Track numbers, and then reinserted it. It began indexing all over again so I went to bed. Here is what I saw this morning.

1. The disk-track numbers were still listed. I double checked the USB stick this morning in my computer and the files are definitely renamed. So apparently it did not completely re-index.

2. Tracks are presented in what appears to be random order.

3. In the Artist or Album view, tracks from different artists of the same Album Name are mixed together.

4. Album Art from one Album is being used for the Album with the same name by a different artist.

This is not a nice definitive test like @BertL would provide, but it's clear to me that while restoring the scroll by alphabetical letter, .40 has introduced its own set of problems.

Attachments

• IMG_1541.JPG
    IMG_1541.JPG
    450.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1542.JPG
    IMG_1542.JPG
    491.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1543.JPG
    IMG_1543.JPG
    450.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1544.JPG
    IMG_1544.JPG
    451.6 KB · Views: 26
It's clear that .40 needs a full controlled test as I'm seeing a lot of weirdness this morning but don't have time to dig deep. Here's the situation.

As reported earlier, .40 mixes tracks with have the same Album Name. Last night I removed my USB stick, renamed all the files to strip away the Disk-Track numbers, and then reinserted it. It began indexing all over again so I went to bed. Here is what I saw this morning.

1. The disk-track numbers were still listed. I double checked the USB stick this morning in my computer and the files are definitely renamed. So apparently it did not completely re-index.

3. In the Artist or Album view, tracks from different artists of the same Album Name are mixed together.

4. Album Art from one Album is being used for the Album with the same name by a different artist.

This is not a nice definitive test like @BertL would provide, but it's clear to me that while restoring the scroll by alphabetical letter, .40 has introduced its own set of problems.
this is known issue way back before 8.0. If you make changes on your drive, it will try (poorly) to apply net changes, not completely rebuild. Try changing name of drive or root directory. That will cause it to rebuild.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia

Right, as @tomas suggests, try changing the root directory name which will cause Media Player to scan all files below it in your directory structure from scratch and not use cache. Your other choice is to do a full reboot of the CID -- foot on brake; both control wheels until Tesla T appears; then let up on all 3 -- that too will clear Media Player cache (or at least it did through 2.38.19 which I still have.) Issue IMHO is Tesla tries to be smart and make "rescans" faster by only looking at filename/directory structure -- and if it matches what I knew from before, it does not then open each file to read tag (and of course, now, album art) data where you may have made changes.

Is this in any way related to the track naming you have? What convention are you using right now?