Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, just got the latest 8.0 (2.42.40) and it seems to play most albums in Track order (and displays track number tag before the title)

Some albums do not play in track order. Cannot figure why they are playing like this (appears to be reading track tag, but not playing in track or alpha order):
alovesupreme.png

Ok, just got the latest 8.0 (2.42.40) and it seems to play most albums in Track order (and displays track number tag before the title)

Some albums do not play in track order. Cannot figure why they are playing like this (appears to be reading track tag, but not playing in track or alpha order):
View attachment 200890
That's progress. What are your files named like between an album that does play and track order and one that does not? Also, what formats are the two in?

That's progress. What are your files named like between an album that does play and track order and one that does not? Also, what formats are the two in?

All of my files are correctly and consistently tagged. Are you thinking it is reading and displaying the correct tags, but ignoring them and sorting by file name? Ugh, that is going to take forever to figure out. My files are not consistently named.

When I have some time I will go through the flash drive on the computer to see how files are named. Most are named AlbumArtist - Track - Title. Some are Track - Title. Some are AlbumArtist - Album - Track - Title.

Regardless of file name: It should read the tags first and sort by them. If there are no valid tags, it should fall back on file name.

Never had any of these problems in any previous version of the software, from 4.x to 7.1

All of my files are correctly and consistently tagged. Are you thinking it is reading and displaying the correct tags, but ignoring them and sorting by file name? Ugh, that is going to take forever to figure out. My files are not consistently named.

When I have some time I will go through the flash drive on the computer to see how files are named. Most are named AlbumArtist - Track - Title. Some are Track - Title. Some are AlbumArtist - Album - Track - Title.

Regardless of file name: It should read the tags first and sort by them. If there are no valid tags, it should fall back on file name.

Never had any of these problems in any previous version of the software, from 4.x to 7.1

That's exactly what I'm thinking. For whatever reason, I'm trying to figure out if filename has anything to do with it. For example, I primarily have mine in the format "AlbumName (TrackNumber) ArtistName - TrackTitle" and I've see it display the filename in pre v8 when it would play from folder view and ignore tag info.

It's progress, we'll get there.

I think it is really important that everyone testing .40 must do hard reboot or change name of root directory to cause full rescan. Otherwise, the results are likely goofy. Things you thought you retagged don't appear retagged etc.

Your testing may not be useful if you don't have both new the software and full rescan.

just got 2.40.42 update while car was at the Service Centre. Good to see the alpha index and other USB issues like search now fixed.

I know it's not really a bug and has existed before 8.0, but I still see all the artists with names beginning with "The..." grouped together under "T", instead of for example The Beatles, The Beach Boys etc under "B" like most other media players do which ignore the leading "The" when sorting. Hopefully Tesla will fix this in future too

just got 2.40.42 update while car was at the Service Centre. Good to see the alpha index and other USB issues like search now fixed.

I know it's not really a bug and has existed before 8.0, but I still see all the artists with names beginning with "The..." grouped together under "T", instead of for example The Beatles, The Beach Boys etc under "B" like most other media players do which ignore the leading "The" when sorting. Hopefully Tesla will fix this in future too
.42? Can you double check that? .40 was the latest so far.

I'm having a hard time understanding why folks put such huge music collections on a USB stick, since it would be hard to listen to all of that in any conceivable amount of time. Make several sticks and mount the one you want for the next week on the car the night before.
The short answer of course is "you don't have to understand why, it's enough that others want to do this." But for my part, it's because I have no desire to do the kind of fussing with my music collection you describe. And why should I, when I can drop everything onto one stick and have it all at my fingertips? No issue with "oh I wish I'd brought the other stick today" or whatever -- if it's in my collection, it's there. (Or, so it was in 7.1.)

Anyway, no need for you to subscribe to this philosophy and I have no desire to persuade anyone to change their way of doing things, but since you (sort of) asked, that's why. "Freedom, baby!"

Reactions: supratachophobia
After receiving 2.42.40 last night, this morning I popped my USB stick in and have been disheartened by the results so far. Scanning still proceeded at the same old glacial rate. After a few hours, when I expected the scan to have completed, I went to the car and found it had restarted and was back at 1%. I've rebooted the center console and renamed the USB stick per some of the suggestions here, and am about to try again. At least the reports of UI improvements lead me to think it's not time wasted and if I do eventually get the car to load my library I may be able to do something productive with it.

(Also, after receiving the update I got the FM stuttering problem which one person had reported fixed in the Software 8.0 thread.)

After receiving 2.42.40 last night, this morning I popped my USB stick in and have been disheartened by the results so far. Scanning still proceeded at the same old glacial rate. After a few hours, when I expected the scan to have completed, I went to the car and found it had restarted and was back at 1%. I've rebooted the center console and renamed the USB stick per some of the suggestions here, and am about to try again. At least the reports of UI improvements lead me to think it's not time wasted and if I do eventually get the car to load my library I may be able to do something productive with it.

(Also, after receiving the update I got the FM stuttering problem which one person had reported fixed in the Software 8.0 thread.)
Power save settings you have configured?

After receiving 2.42.40 last night, this morning I popped my USB stick in and have been disheartened by the results so far. Scanning still proceeded at the same old glacial rate. After a few hours, when I expected the scan to have completed, I went to the car and found it had restarted and was back at 1%.

How many files and what folder structure? (It is a known issue that lots of tracks in one folder causes the scan to be glacial.)

Received 2.42.40 last night tested some minor things and this fixes many of my issues. Has anyone been able to confirm track list order or shuffle is fixed? First thing I did notice was the Navigation now has the static functions up top again unless you tap on the map which toggles it on and off.

I've rebooted the center console and renamed the USB stick per some of the suggestions here, and am about to try again.
No improvement.
Power save settings you have configured?
I had energy saving on. I've just disabled it, we'll see what happens.
How many files and what folder structure? (It is a known issue that lots of tracks in one folder causes the scan to be glacial.)
25,000ish tracks. Folder structure looks like

root
-> arbitrary folder name (total of four such)
-> artist
-> album
-> individual tracks​

the largest directory is 200ish files, there are a few dozen such. Most are much smaller. I suppose 200ish might still be considered "lots of tracks" although it beggars the imagination. (By comparison, 7.1 didn't break a sweat with totally flat directories with thousands of tracks, alas.)

No improvement.

I had energy saving on. I've just disabled it, we'll see what happens.

25,000ish tracks. Folder structure looks like

root
-> arbitrary folder name (total of four such)
-> artist
-> album
-> individual tracks​

the largest directory is 200ish files, there are a few dozen such. Most are much smaller. I suppose 200ish might still be considered "lots of tracks" although it beggars the imagination. (By comparison, 7.1 didn't break a sweat with totally flat directories with thousands of tracks, alas.)
Yes, long scan times is a known bug with power savings turned on.

What is the best way/program to take an iTunes playlist and export it to the USB in the format that is best for the USB key in 8.x? I use Tesla tunes but the export format appears to be flat (exports all files in one folder and not sub categorized)

GG