Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Wouldn't you really rather own a Buick?" ;)

It is antiquated, but one of the main reasons I haven't bought anything newer in the last 24 years is I haven't found anything I would call better. The seats are still the comfiest I've ever been in, even now they are better than Tesla's. When I shopped for newer cars, I was surprised you couldn't find an ICE car in the same size class that got better gas mileage (or not much anyway) and the ones that did have better gas mileage were slugs that took forever to get on the freeway. And all had worse cargo space.

The Model S is far more energy efficient, has way more cargo space, and ever the 90D has way more acceleration than I was looking for.

I can also get rid of all the old mix tapes. :) I listened to those tapes enough that I knew the order of music on them.

• Funny
Reactions: msnow
Fun fact, it seems that the "shuffle" order is the same set for each song. So if you start with MP3 X, you get Y order every time. If you start with MP3 W, you get playback order Z every time. I'm finding myself trying to find a random MP3 from the alpha-listing so that I can get a new playback order I haven't heard before.

This is exactly what I was doing on my recent trip - every time I started out, I had to find a new song not played recently, in order to have a fresh set. Once I did that I was fine until the next stop :(

It was my understanding from someone in this forum that if you are converting lossy MP3's to FLAC, they are lossy too.
Close enough anyway. Quality is never going to be better than the original source. This has been true since audio recording was invented, back to wax cylinders or before.
If that's true all we are gaining is the better sound quality between USB vs Bluetooth.
Sure, if your music library is MP3. Mine is AIFF ripped from CD (mostly) though what I have on my USB stick for in-car use is AAC 256.

I notice in 8.0 (2.42.40), every couple days at random times it seems to want to re-scan through my USB flash drive. e.g I'm listening to songs on the USB drive for a while, then I park the car for a couple hours or overnight, and sometimes when I get back to the car I see it re-scanning the USB (showing >0% but <100% complete) and of course I cannot listen to USB music at that time (I have maybe ~7000 tracks on the USB and it takes several minutes to scan). Quite annoying.

I don't recall seeing that happen before 8.0, but now I'm seeing every few days or so. After 8.0 update I did reorganize the files on my USB drive (was: Music/Artist/Album, now: Album/Artist), not sure if that has anything to do with it, or if the rescan is simply coinciding with some unseen random reboot of the 17" screen occuring while I was out of the car

Reactions: jgs
I notice in 8.0 (2.42.40), every couple days at random times it seems to want to re-scan through my USB flash drive. e.g I'm listening to songs on the USB drive for a while, then I park the car for a couple hours or overnight, and sometimes when I get back to the car I see it re-scanning the USB (showing >0% but <100% complete) and of course I cannot listen to USB music at that time (I have maybe ~7000 tracks on the USB and it takes several minutes to scan). Quite annoying.

I don't recall seeing that happen before 8.0, but now I'm seeing every few days or so. After 8.0 update I did reorganize the files on my USB drive (was: Music/Artist/Album, now: Album/Artist), not sure if that has anything to do with it, or if the rescan is simply coinciding with some unseen random reboot of the 17" screen occuring while I was out of the car
Are you in energy saving mode? That has been correlated with rescans.

ok thanks for confirming. I don't recall seeing this random rescanning much pre-8.0 but it's common now. maybe coincidence... or maybe related to random screen reboots which for some reason I'm seeing now too
Yes, I admit it's odd. I can't pin down an exact sequence that causes it, but my perception (no facts) is I don't have the problem as much now as a I did back in 7.1 days. I almost never get a rescan upon entry after my MS has been sitting in my garage over night or even if it was not driven for a day or two, and even if it is or isn't charged via HPWC during that time ...but it happens more often than not for some reason when I do a quick 2-mile jaunt to the store, park, and return in 10 minutes to find a rescan is underway -- sometimes and sometimes not! It's most infuriating for those of us having the continued problem. ...for those that don't have anything to complain about, be happy, please don't rub it in, and just move on! ;)

I just changed my energy savings setting to off, just to see if that makes any difference with random rescans (I'm only about half way going back through all the old posts in this thread, so didn't yet see if concensus is that really fixes it - but curious to see...)

on another note... if you have an Artist with multiple albums, is there no way to shuffle all the songs from ALL albums of that artist? Doesn't seem to be. Am I imagining things or did that ability exist pre 8.0? fwiw I have my USB folders organized as Artist/AlbumName at the root level of the USB

Yes, I admit it's odd. I can't pin down an exact sequence that causes it, but my perception (no facts) is I don't have the problem as much now as a I did back in 7.1 days. I almost never get a rescan upon entry after my MS has been sitting in my garage over night or even if it was not driven for a day or two, and even if it is or isn't charged via HPWC during that time ...but it happens more often than not for some reason when I do a quick 2-mile jaunt to the store, park, and return in 10 minutes to find a rescan is underway -- sometimes and sometimes not! It's most infuriating for those of us having the continued problem. ...for those that don't have anything to complain about, be happy, please don't rub it in, and just move on! ;)
Yes, I experienced this today. Drove for about 45min, stopped at a store for 15min, came out and it was rescanning. Rescanning my stick takes about 2hrs so no more USB music for the remaining 1hr drive home. No idea what triggered the rescan.

I now rescan time has been discussed at length so I'll go back through the posts to understand why my stick is taking 2hrs when others report 10-20min.

In any case, very frustrating to hear about coming "monthly updates" to AP and we can't get a media player that works as well as the one we had in V7.1.

if you have an Artist with multiple albums, is there no way to shuffle all the songs from ALL albums of that artist? Doesn't seem to be. Am I imagining things or did that ability exist pre 8.0? fwiw I have my USB folders organized as Artist/AlbumName at the root level of the USB
Yes, that's correct. The access by Artist give you access to that Artist's albums, but not collectively the tracks on those albums.

Not sure about pre 8.0. But do know that a 10yr old iPod will allow you to shuffle within artist, as will the iOS music player on an iPhone. But hey, those are $600 devices with 24/7 phone support, how can they be compared to a $100,000 car with no support for the infotainment features at all! Oh yeah, my $50,000 2011 Mercedes also supported that feature from internal storage, an external iPod, or an iPhone. But it was just an old crude diesel vehicle, not a state of the art EV!

Reactions: supratachophobia
Yes, that's correct. The access by Artist give you access to that Artist's albums, but not collectively the tracks on those albums.

Not sure about pre 8.0. But do know that a 10yr old iPod will allow you to shuffle within artist, as will the iOS music player on an iPhone. But hey, those are $600 devices with 24/7 phone support, how can they be compared to a $100,000 car with no support for the infotainment features at all! Oh yeah, my $50,000 2011 Mercedes also supported that feature from internal storage, an external iPod, or an iPhone. But it was just an old crude diesel vehicle, not a state of the art EV!
See my post #614. I have a few screenshots in there and I think the 4th one shows the results from searching an artist and under "Songs" it's showing the tracks from the albums I have on USB.

Are you in energy saving mode? That has been correlated with rescans.

I can report that at least in my case, it doesn't seem that Energy Savings = ON has anything to do with random rescans.

Prior to reporting this problem here in this thread, I always had Energy Savings = ON. at suggestion in this thread I turned it off yesterday. Car was plugged in overnight and did charge, but I haven't driven it all day today. Late this afternoon I went to my car to check out something with searching USB media. I searche for and played a few songs on USB and left the car. (car was still plugged in but not charging). About an hour later I went back to the car to check something else with the USB searches and noticed search results were not showing the USB this time. I clicked on USB tab and a rescan was in progress! (about 50% through, and progressing very very slowly...). This was with Energy Saving now OFF. So it seems that setting alone can't be the cause of the problem...

• Informative
Reactions: BertL and jgs