Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This looks identical to the Lexar 128GB Jumpdrive I'm using. What read/write speeds do you measure for this stick?
Sequential Read 111 MB/s, Write 60 MB/s
Random Read 0 MB/s, Write 0.5 MB/s

...the challenge as I mentioned earlier is DiskMark's presentation granularity isn't really good enough (and as much as I try, my home testing methods are not precise enough) to always tell how well a device is really performing (e.g. "0 MB/s" isn't reality, but the way the tool rounds actual throughput for display, it shows zero many times). As comparative points across all my USB sticks (not a single one), best performance for each measurement is:
Sequential Read 314 MB/s, Write 160 MB/s
Random Read 0.2 MB/s, Write 1.0 MB/s

...just to show the difference, even though it's not a fair comparison because of ongoing system activity, my iMac Boot-volume SSD (not used of course in my MS) is somewhere in excess of:
Sequential Read 688 MB/s, Write 689 MB/s
Random Read 0.9 MB/s, Write 2.3 MB/s​

...and, these tests show nothing about how MS sees the USB device from an error handling perspective. One of my best performing sticks with read rates and MS scan times, was also one of the two I happened to provide to my SvC last time when I reported some of these problems with errant rescans. They noted that specific stick was causing errors to be logged at CID reboot time, and iterated to me that Tesla recommends I not have any USB devices in place when I start my MS. That's why far upthread I said I really feel Tesla has issues with basic USB error recovery handling, and that at least in-part is a reason for some of these elongated scan/rescan times and perhaps unexpected rescans only some of us are seeing. It's the luck of the draw how Tesla's OS handles the many unique physical USB devices and potential issues each can throw up to application trying to access it. As an owner, our only hope is Tesla, like any media player mfgr, would provide as robust device handling as possible to shield it's owners from abnormalities. I just refuse to pull my USB stick out each time I exit my MS, to then always go through at least rescan every time I start my MS. Perhaps 8.1 with the supposed refreshed underlying Linux OS that Elon said is coming will improve things -- it's anyone's guess.​

Sequential Read 111 MB/s, Write 60 MB/s
Random Read 0 MB/s, Write 0.5 MB/s

...the challenge as I mentioned earlier is DiskMark's presentation granularity isn't really good enough (and as much as I try, my home testing methods are not precise enough) to always tell how well a device is really performing (e.g. "0 MB/s" isn't reality, but the way the tool rounds actual throughput for display, it shows zero many times). As comparative points across all my USB sticks (not a single one), best performance for each measurement is:
Sequential Read 314 MB/s, Write 160 MB/s
Random Read 0.2 MB/s, Write 1.0 MB/s

...just to show the difference, even though it's not a fair comparison because of ongoing system activity, my iMac Boot-volume SSD (not used of course in my MS) is somewhere in excess of:
Sequential Read 688 MB/s, Write 689 MB/s
Random Read 0.9 MB/s, Write 2.3 MB/s​
...and, these tests show nothing about how MS sees the USB device from an error handling perspective. One of my best performing sticks with read rates and MS scan times, was also one of the two I happened to provide to my SvC last time when I reported some of these problems with errant rescans. They noted that specific stick was causing errors to be logged at CID reboot time, and iterated to me that Tesla recommends I not have any USB devices in place when I start my MS. That's why far upthread I said I really feel Tesla has issues with basic USB error recovery handling, and that at least in-part is a reason for some of these elongated scan/rescan times and perhaps unexpected rescans only some of us are seeing. It's the luck of the draw how Tesla's OS handles the many unique physical USB devices and potential issues each can throw up to application trying to access it. As an owner, our only hope is Tesla, like any media player mfgr, would provide as robust device handling as possible to shield it's owners from abnormalities. I just refuse to pull my USB stick out each time I exit my MS, to then always go through at least rescan every time I start my MS. Perhaps 8.1 with the supposed refreshed underlying Linux OS that Elon said is coming will improve things -- it's anyone's guess.​
I stopped taking my stick out too. For one thing it's a hassle and another is who knows if this is factual or not. I haven't had any problems leaving in either.

Stooooopppp! Can we please have another thread for USB stick geeks???
Agree that we're a bit deep in USB Flash Drive specifics, but as @msnow suggests, this is after all by its title, a "comprehensive" discussion of USB Media Player issues, and IMHO the physical device itself combined with Tesla's support or lack thereof, contributes to our experience -- both good and bad.

I had my X in for service the other day and received a S85 loaner. Interestingly, after first loading, the USB results always were instantaneously available whenever I subsequently used the car.

However, with my X (246.16), it needs to load every time. Vehicle difference or perhaps I just need to perform the "clean" reboot per BertL's earlier notes and it will operate similar to the S?

Also, despite not "fully loaded" yet, I still hear the last song played and it will sequence alpha-manually while still loading.

Finally, not on this topic I know but....I still can't see a full station list for XM. There is a station list button but it just takes me to the current channel and I can only go one station up or down numerically. Am I missing something or still not fixed by Tesla?

...I found that the frequent re-scans in my MS were due to a questionable stick which had intermittent failures when tested ... Since replacing it with another stick I have had no rescans.
VERY glad to hear things are a bit better for you with a new physical USB Flash Drive.

I just wish Tesla would rapidly improve their error recovery to deal with the challenges some number of owners have encountered. I for one am not thrilled to now have $300+ worth of extra USB sticks in a collection I never wanted to start in the first place -- all to help support my theory to reduce, but not eliminate, personal USB rescans in my MS. I AM glad my testing helped at least one other owner improve their Infotainment experience along the way. You made my day. HURRAY!

Last edited:
Reactions: jgs
If you guys come up with a consistently reliable >= 256GB unit, I'll hop on and try it. I'm still disgruntled that I have to, considering that my current PNY stick was fine with 7.1, but if there's a workaround where I can spend a little money and move on, I'm resigned to it.

If you guys come up with a consistently reliable >= 256GB unit, I'll hop on and try it. I'm still disgruntled that I have to, considering that my current PNY stick was fine with 7.1, but if there's a workaround where I can spend a little money and move on, I'm resigned to it.
My basic no model name PNY 256 (pix upthread) is consistently reliable for me. We would need others to say the same thing to be sure it's consistent for all. @BertL thinks that other things we have not discovered yet may be at play here and that makes sense.

My basic no model name PNY 256 (pix upthread) is consistently reliable for me. We would need others to say the same thing to be sure it's consistent for all. @BertL thinks that other things we have not discovered yet may be at play here and that makes sense.
Sigh, a "basic no model name PNY 256" is what exhibits frequent rescans for me. I was (am) hoping that a recc along the lines of "lots of people have brand Z and nobody has had a problem". Maybe time for a poll?

Sigh, a "basic no model name PNY 256" is what exhibits frequent rescans for me. I was (am) hoping that a recc along the lines of "lots of people have brand Z and nobody has had a problem". Maybe time for a poll?
Yeah, that might be one long ass poll though. :). The reality is any USB stick that meets the 2.0 spec should work flawlessly.

• Funny
Ah, "should". As in, "the difference between theory and practice should be less in theory than it is in practice."
My personal suggestion to you is wait until after 8.1 hits (assuming it comes out by 12/31 as Elon said it would), and we have a chance to see what we've got with the new OS that may well improve basic USB error handling. It's perhaps wishful thinking given Tesla has not been very focused helping us truly improve USB support for several years now, but with a more current underlying OS comes the likelihood that improved device support will be tagging along. Maybe not, but generally that's been my experience with non-Tesla situations. ;)

The reality is, I've gone through multiples of supposedly the same USB Flash Drive from the same mfgr, and every one has acted different in my MS, but many have appeared to be similar on my high-end Mac and slower-than-molasses cheapest-I-could-find Windows laptop. Unless you are overly frustrated and have bucks to burn, hang on for a little while, then try another stick after you have 8.1 should the need still be there.

Yeah, that might be one long ass poll though. :). The reality is any USB stick that meets the 2.0 spec should work flawlessly.
Agreed. The read speed required to support even uncompressed audio is very low, less than 200kb/s. So as long as the stick is reliable, it should work. In reality any new USB 3.0 stick will have very fast read speeds which may help on the initial scan, but it's the reliability (due to what appears to be poor error handling in v8, which as @BertL points out may change in v8.1) that is critical to prevent rescans.

However, write speeds are important when loading the stick. Write speeds can be very slow, but if you don't mind loading your stick over night (or longer if your library is uncompressed), that's not a big issue. The 128GB Pro Elite PNY that I just received turns out to have a very slow write speed (~ 5MB/s) so it's probably going back to PNY.