Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in agreement with everyone here the player has bugs that Tesla should fix (or they should put the code out there open source and let the Tesla community with programming skills fix it). But they shouldn't delete the feature.

I use it and it works OK, not terrifically, but OK. I tried putting a whole bunch of stuff on one 32GB USB drive and that scanned forever. Since then I have had much better luck with smaller drives. I do have one 32 GB SansDisk drive that works, but all the other drives I use are 8 GB and I haven't had any issues with them. I only use USB 2 drives, only name brands, and I don't reformat them. Most drives come with FAT32 as the format. Another thing that might mess things up would be to use a drive with some kind of encryption.

I forget all the brands of drives I have, but the one I'm using now is a Kingston 8 GB. The only issues I've had are with the player occasionally forgetting it's place. Most often when I switch to the radio and then come back to the USB. I had it switch to the radio spontaneously when I opened a door other than the driver's door.

To get around the resetting the track to the beginning when listening to an audio book, I just memorized where I was in the book before getting out of the car and reset the player to that spot when i continued. I was on a road trip and only stopping every 2-3 hours, so it wasn't that big a problem. It would be far more annoying if I was running around town and driving much shorter legs (over the course of a day or multiple days).

The bugs are frustrating, but there are worse things in this world, like driving an ICE...
I have not noticed smaller drives helping. I use a 4gb for new music, and an SSD with 4 partitions, so 5 drives presented to the media player. Size varies from 16-160gb.

And I am doing shorter stops all day. If I tried to memorize the place every time, I wouldn't have enough brain power to do my job.

if you have the BMW iDrive - their system of creating favorites (a scrollable list on the heads up display) - was an awesome feature. It'd be nice if they can do something similar on the right dash scroabble lis with the right roller button.

Also, BMW has a "play similar" songs - which works quite well from your USB collection. I've had no problems playing 300 songs off of an older USB 2.0 stick. It'd didnt seem to like my USB 3.0 64 GB flash drive.

Before I go to my own User Control Panel, I'll just say, Ignore lists and Unsubscribe are wonderful things for people that don't appreciate what others have to say.
I didn't say I didn't appreciate your posts. I was making the point that you keep complaining about the bugs and done being a beta tester since Tesla never seems to do anything about media player but you keep coming back with new reports. Hence, the spousal abuse reference.

Bugs are bad enough that I've resorted to a Favorite list hoping that I could shuffle just the Favorite. As I add more Favorites, they don't show on my list but if you go to individual songs, they are shown as a Favorite.

With my model X, I use USB stick to listen to the music, and when I exit the car and return after a few hours or next morning, it sometimes resume playing the last playing song from the beginning, but it sometimes (rather frequently) switch to Bluetooth playback mode with no music.

My phone's Bluetooth pairing setting says it only connects to Call Audio and Contacts information, not Media Audio.

Has anybody experienced this behavior? Or is this another case of Twilight zone?

I didn't say I didn't appreciate your posts. I was making the point that you keep complaining about the bugs and done being a beta tester since Tesla never seems to do anything about media player but you keep coming back with new reports. Hence, the spousal abuse reference.

Bugs are bad enough that I've resorted to a Favorite list hoping that I could shuffle just the Favorite. As I add more Favorites, they don't show on my list but if you go to individual songs, they are shown as a Favorite.
So beware, I've lost my favorites at least twice now. Once in January, the other in May. I got in the car one day and poof, 0 favorites.....

With my model X, I use USB stick to listen to the music, and when I exit the car and return after a few hours or next morning, it sometimes resume playing the last playing song from the beginning, but it sometimes (rather frequently) switch to Bluetooth playback mode with no music.

My phone's Bluetooth pairing setting says it only connects to Call Audio and Contacts information, not Media Audio.

Has anybody experienced this behavior? Or is this another case of Twilight zone?
Interesting. I've not see the Bluetooth behavior you've found, but I wasn't looking for it either. I'll try to pay closer attention next time I have an issue to see if I can isolate it further. Thx for the heads-up.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I have not noticed smaller drives helping. I use a 4gb for new music, and an SSD with 4 partitions, so 5 drives presented to the media player. Size varies from 16-160gb.

And I am doing shorter stops all day. If I tried to memorize the place every time, I wouldn't have enough brain power to do my job.

I have thought about taking a picture with my phone at every stop. When I was on my road trip I did that at every supercharger to record my mileage and energy usage data on every leg.

I have thought about taking a picture with my phone at every stop. When I was on my road trip I did that at every supercharger to record my mileage and energy usage data on every leg.
Good idea. The only problem with that is the seek selector is not that granular, especially for longer tracks. What I suggested in a feature request was a floating precise time in a bubble when the user hold down on a place in the track. This allows you to nail a specific time, every time.

Thanks for the warning. This could simply be solved by implementing playlists. <sigh>
Yes, and dynamically generated playlists based on newest added, most often played, least often played. This was a great way for my Empeg to play stuff I recently added first, and for me to have a playlist where I could hear the things I hadn't heard in a while. For Tesla, all they would need to do for one of them is query creation date from the file system.

Something new yesterday (17.16.35). Was playing a Nat King Cole album and stopped at Post Office for 3 minutes.

When I came back song was still playing but graphics changed from USB tagged view and showed another album (same song so assuming Tesla externally provided). After completion, next song in album started playing but when I went to the USB album location song play was not indicated.

Something new yesterday (17.16.35). Was playing a Nat King Cole album and stopped at Post Office for 3 minutes.

When I came back song was still playing but graphics changed from USB tagged view and showed another album (same song so assuming Tesla externally provided). After completion, next song in album started playing but when I went to the USB album location song play was not indicated.
Here it goes again. I had something similar. I got out to plug I'm and had an audio book playing. Got back in to grab items, audio artist and album displayed the audio book, but the track was a favorited internet radio station and it was playing instead of the audio book.
IMG_20170615_170217_01.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Let me officially welcome @X Fan & @supratachophobia to the Tesla Twilight Zone. My original experience with this sort of anomaly was unexpected movement to an FM station, but I have also had it go to Slacker at least once. Enjoy your stay.

Just think, we'll get to reset expectations and our experience-base with anomolies such as this when the new kernel finally arrives -- then perhaps again if real "MP Fixes & Improvements" come as another drop some day. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: X Fan
Let me officially welcome @X Fan & @supratachophobia to the Tesla Twilight Zone. My original experience with this sort of anomaly was unexpected movement to an FM station, but I have also had it go to Slacker at least once. Enjoy your stay.

Just think, we'll get to reset expectations and our experience-base with anomolies such as this when the new kernel finally arrives -- then perhaps again if real "MP Fixes & Improvements" come as another drop some day. ;)
Glad to be here! I'd like to thank the academy, my friends, my family, the director, and most importantly, Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior.

Unexpected movement to FM stations might have the same root cause as unexpected movement to Bluetooth audio, which is my case. I have this issue for more than 50% of the time. Maybe Tesla doesn't care the USB music in the car with power saving mode on.

USB MP Users: Be sure to manually reboot your MS after 17.24.28 -- just in case

Issue: I installed 7.24.28 yesterday. Checked my MS after I received the installation complete notice on my iPhone and all seemed well. My USB was beginning it's rescan as I expected it would. I locked the door and a couple hours later, I went to run errands... Upon opening the door, no music; Once I touched the USB indicator in MP title bar, rescan began again. I rode in silence for nearly 10 minutes and reached my destination just as the 2nd song began to play. I come back, and No music. Same deal -- rescan started once I touched the USB indicator... and the sequence repeated twice more as I went about my business around town.

This is yet another new oddity from my perspective -- at least for me new to 17.24.28 which supposedly only has kernel and perhaps no other application changes -- I doubt any of us know for sure.

Resolution: I performed a full reboot while parked: Foot on brake, hold both scroll wheels until the Tesla T appears, then let go of all 3. I've tried it twice since, and the repetitive rescans are no longer occurring.

Summary: I know some have suggested in the past it's a "good practice" to always reboot your MS after new firmware, but I've honestly not had a situation occur where that was necessary until now. IMHO, if this is a requirement, Tesla should cause it to happen as part of the firmware update -- I mean, really -- Microsoft, Apple, etc have done that for years distinguishing between "hot fixes" and those requiring a reboot.

USB MP Users: Be sure to manually reboot your MS after 17.24.28 -- just in case

Issue: I installed 7.24.28 yesterday. Checked my MS after I received the installation complete notice on my iPhone and all seemed well. My USB was beginning it's rescan as I expected it would. I locked the door and a couple hours later, I went to run errands... Upon opening the door, no music; Once I touched the USB indicator in MP title bar, rescan began again. I rode in silence for nearly 10 minutes and reached my destination just as the 2nd song began to play. I come back, and No music. Same deal -- rescan started once I touched the USB indicator... and the sequence repeated twice more as I went about my business around town.

This is yet another new oddity from my perspective -- at least for me new to 17.24.28 which supposedly only has kernel and perhaps no other application changes -- I doubt any of us know for sure.

Resolution: I performed a full reboot while parked: Foot on brake, hold both scroll wheels until the Tesla T appears, then let go of all 3. I've tried it twice since, and the repetitive rescans are no longer occurring.

Summary: I know some have suggested in the past it's a "good practice" to always reboot your MS after new firmware, but I've honestly not had a situation occur where that was necessary until now. IMHO, if this is a requirement, Tesla should cause it to happen as part of the firmware update -- I mean, really -- Microsoft, Apple, etc have done that for years distinguishing between "hot fixes" and those requiring a reboot.

Good to know. I just installed it as well and have been monitoring the randomness of my USB playback. I have somehow managed to avoid the copious rescan issue (knock on matte Obeche wood) so at least I can quickly access the same 7 "random" songs; hopefully my random is more random now but I'm not holding my breath.

• Funny
Reactions: BertL
Good to know. I just installed it as well and have been monitoring the randomness of my USB playback. I have somehow managed to avoid the copious rescan issue (knock on matte Obeche wood) so at least I can quickly access the same 7 "random" songs; hopefully my random is more random now but I'm not holding my breath.

I predict you'll be dead if you did.

I'm really glad Chris Lattner straightened out all the media player issues during his time at Tesla.....