Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bert’s Media Player 9.0 2018.39.6 Initial Observations

I’ve now had V9 for a few hours, becoming acquainted with the new UI and taking MP USB through my previous testing regime to understand what may have changed. Following are my initial impressions for your consideration.
[...snip...]
  • Erratic and sometimes almost unusable UI responsiveness, especially when changing views or coming in/out of Folder View. It can take several seconds when you touch or swipe up/down on the MP window, and your actions will stack, back-up, then run all-together after some point if you don’t wait for each action to happen first. I suspect MCU1 is approaching the CPU limits of the present V9.0 UI without some desperately-needed coding refinement, but we’ll need feedback from MCU2 owners to pin down an opinion. I do know that number of tracks and tag data does not seem to impact this issue (going from 7K to <100 tracks had the exact same problem in my MS).
I was away for a few weeks and now back, have had only a short time to experience v9 (42.2) in my car (MCU1) so far...

but without any detailed testing I immediately noticed this severe laggy UI in the music player, especially when navigating the left side under "USB", i.e. when clicking successively in and out a a few times between Favorites, Songs, Artists, Albums, Genres, Folders. As noted, you can tap on something with no response for several seconds, and if you tap on successive things, the selections "stack" up in a queue and then run together later (10 or more seconds later). Basically the UI quickly becomes unusable - at times laggy, other times it seems to respond ok. But more often than not, with a huge annoying lag (reminiscent of the annoyingly slow web browser in the MS)

I first noticed it when checking the alpha-index on the right side within a long list of songs to see if the "off-by-one-or-more-letter" bug still exists (yes, unsurprisingly, it still has the problem). If you quickly swipe the alpha index up and down a few times in v9, that seems to be enough to bog down the UI responsiveness - enough so that the first time I tried that it seemed to slow things down so much I needed to reboot.

overall v9 UI look and feel issues aside, this crappy responsiveness in V9 is unacceptable and makes the USB player almost unusable :mad:

this being contrary to Tesla's promise of making the car better with each OTA software update

Anyone have any insight into getting album graphics displayed when using USB drive for music? I've got 200GB of Apple Lossless files, playback is great, but graphics are not displayed, and there are enormous numbers of duplicates when listing by album (which I assume is a bug that will need OS rewrite). But just getting album graphics to display properly would feel like an achievement. Any ideas?

Anyone have any insight into getting album graphics displayed when using USB drive for music? I've got 200GB of Apple Lossless files, playback is great, but graphics are not displayed, and there are enormous numbers of duplicates when listing by album (which I assume is a bug that will need OS rewrite). But just getting album graphics to display properly would feel like an achievement. Any ideas?
Your best bet for album art is that it needs to be imbedded within each track. There have been reports in the past about having uniquely named art files by album that work in a MS, but I’ve not consistently experienced it myself and don’t even try it any more. Use only JPG or PNG for the art (others may work, but no guarantees as I don’t test those either any more) and make it the first Front Cover art (there are multiple art types allowed in the standard — Tesla ignores all but the first Front Cover.) Size isn’t as big a deal ... I’ve tested up to 1500x1500 and they work.

Duplicate listings by album are likely because of the way Tesla (erroneously) makes use of tags. There are other similar issues you may not have found yet. Most of those issues have existed as long as Tesla has provided USB support in MS. Fixing it will require you workaround the problem by making changes to metadata tagging on your USB device for each and every track. See my several upthread posts on the processes I use to resolve those problems — you can use what I describe there to do something similar manually or via automation as I do.

Good luck.

FWIW: I'm Still Part of the Tesla Twilight Zone

I reported upthread that I had further reduced the number of MP3 tracks in my MS & MCU1 with V9 Media Player to just over 6200, and that I was still encountering occasional reboots, rescans and a couple new V9 failings. As a reminder, the latest oddity is where I occasionally come back to my MS to find my same USB track isn't playing as it always does since migrating to 100% MP3, but instead MP is playing one of my FM Favorites (and other Favs may or may not be there). When I manually select my USB device, it appears to be available, but shows only the highest-level folder name with none of the child (album) folders or actual track names being selectable anywhere in the UI -- requiring me to reboot the CID to recover from the condition (forcing a USB rescan by unplugging/plugging-it-in does not fix it).

I mentioned awhile back I was considering reducing the number of MP3 tracks on my USB SSD even further to see if that was a cause for some of these newer problems. I have had my annual Christmas tracks in my MS for 5 days -- with just under 700 MP3-only tracks on a different USB device for kicks. Sadly, ALL of the SAME problems noted above have reoccurred in this short period of time. While I still believe several of us proved long ago that too many tracks and metadata will cause memory constraints and eventual MP problems, that tipping point under my control and for my MS configuration is well above 6200 tracks somewhere. Going down to only 700 tracks changes nothing -- Tesla's old and new MP bugs still raise their ugly head, and I remain stuck in the Tesla Twilight Zone.

I read somewhere yesterday that Elon projects with 70% certainty he will become a resident of Mars one day. My immediate thought was he won't have timely Earth-based internet & streaming services there, so I wonder if he could live with his own failing USB code as we have been for years, or if his isolation would be enough to finally focus him on MP quality and basic functionality, or if he'd just wait 6 months for a $30 boom box to arrive on the next mission that has none of the same concerns. ;)
Happy Holidays all!

I read somewhere yesterday that Elon projects with 70% certainty he will become a resident of Mars one day. My immediate thought was he won't have timely Earth-based internet & streaming services there, so I wonder if he could live with his own failing USB code as we have been for years, or if his isolation would be enough to finally focus him on MP quality and basic functionality, or if he'd just wait 6 months for a $30 boom box to arrive on the next mission that has none of the same concerns.
:D

FWIW: I'm Still Part of the Tesla Twilight Zone

I reported upthread that I had further reduced the number of MP3 tracks in my MS & MCU1 with V9 Media Player to just over 6200, and that I was still encountering occasional reboots, rescans and a couple new V9 failings. As a reminder, the latest oddity is where I occasionally come back to my MS to find my same USB track isn't playing as it always does since migrating to 100% MP3, but instead MP is playing one of my FM Favorites (and other Favs may or may not be there). When I manually select my USB device, it appears to be available, but shows only the highest-level folder name with none of the child (album) folders or actual track names being selectable anywhere in the UI -- requiring me to reboot the CID to recover from the condition (forcing a USB rescan by unplugging/plugging-it-in does not fix it).

I mentioned awhile back I was considering reducing the number of MP3 tracks on my USB SSD even further to see if that was a cause for some of these newer problems. I have had my annual Christmas tracks in my MS for 5 days -- with just under 700 MP3-only tracks on a different USB device for kicks. Sadly, ALL of the SAME problems noted above have reoccurred in this short period of time. While I still believe several of us proved long ago that too many tracks and metadata will cause memory constraints and eventual MP problems, that tipping point under my control and for my MS configuration is well above 6200 tracks somewhere. Going down to only 700 tracks changes nothing -- Tesla's old and new MP bugs still raise their ugly head, and I remain stuck in the Tesla Twilight Zone.

I read somewhere yesterday that Elon projects with 70% certainty he will become a resident of Mars one day. My immediate thought was he won't have timely Earth-based internet & streaming services there, so I wonder if he could live with his own failing USB code as we have been for years, or if his isolation would be enough to finally focus him on MP quality and basic functionality, or if he'd just wait 6 months for a $30 boom box to arrive on the next mission that has none of the same concerns. ;)
Happy Holidays all!
Talk about the ultimate payback....

Ground control to major...

Damned thing just restarts every time I get back in! #¥<K!?!?!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:
OK, I sadly present you with the award for being furthest into the depths of the Tesla Twilight Zone. I'll keep an eye out for you as I also continue trying to escape. ;)

FWIW when I was a Mod for another Lexus forum before purchasing my MS, we had a couple owners with USB issues where it seemed like their USB device never got through to the UI (perhaps symptoms similar to yours). One I was able to help do PDPSI to the point they threw away a cheap Chinese USB cable (less than $1) that certainly was causing his/her issues when replaced with a true Apple version; the other IIRC ended-up being resolved after a physical USB port was replaced in the vehicle itself -- problem began occurring nearly every time no matter what USB device was plugged-in, including when tested at the dealership. I had a similar issue that only occurred upon occasion, but was never able to reproduce it at the dealer and never had the problem with my iPod when it was plugged into the same USB port (so IMO was likely a Lexus problem with error recovery of some sort, but that was not resolved before I sold my RXh and bought my MS a year or so later). Only thing I can think of in your Tesla USB situation is to double-check the problem also happens with another USB device, you've rebooted, checked memory usage, and all the things I'm sure you've already tried being a long time owner here -- so I feel bad even bringing them up, but do so for others reading this that may not be as in-the-know. Good luck. Keep us informed please.

• Love
Reactions: jyinger and neroden
OK, I sadly present you with the award for being furthest into the depths of the Tesla Twilight Zone. I'll keep an eye out for you as I also continue trying to escape. ;)

FWIW when I was a Mod for another Lexus forum before purchasing my MS, we had a couple owners with USB issues where it seemed like their USB device never got through to the UI (perhaps symptoms similar to yours). One I was able to help do PDPSI to the point they threw away a cheap Chinese USB cable (less than $1) that certainly was causing his/her issues when replaced with a true Apple version; the other IIRC ended-up being resolved after a physical USB port was replaced in the vehicle itself -- problem began occurring nearly every time no matter what USB device was plugged-in, including when tested at the dealership. I had a similar issue that only occurred upon occasion, but was never able to reproduce it at the dealer and never had the problem with my iPod when it was plugged into the same USB port (so IMO was likely a Lexus problem with error recovery of some sort, but that was not resolved before I sold my RXh and bought my MS a year or so later). Only thing I can think of in your Tesla USB situation is to double-check the problem also happens with another USB device, you've rebooted, checked memory usage, and all the things I'm sure you've already tried being a long time owner here -- so I feel bad even bringing them up, but do so for others reading this that may not be as in-the-know. Good luck. Keep us informed please.
Hey Bert, my post was about Musk on Mars trying to use USB, not any personal specific USB problem.

But thanks for the award anyway!

• Funny
Reactions: BertL
Bert-

Re: USB, it took 9 minutes the other day to load my 6k Flac USB In my AP1 X. There are now multiple weekly reloads again with this new rev.

Also, my AP2 vehicle is also rescanning more albeit at a much faster rate (1 minute or so but you don’t see the progression < 10%, 20% etc > in Screen. Last v8 rev has no problems.

Oh well, I gather they’re using memory for other functions.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BertL
Bert-

Re: USB, it took 9 minutes the other day to load my 6k Flac ISB In my AP1 X. There are now multiple weekly reloads again with this new rev.

Also, my AP2 vehicle is also rescanning more albeit at a much faster rate (1 minute or so but you don’t see the progression < 10%, 20% etc > in Screen. Last v8 rev has no problems.

Oh well, I gather they’re using memory for other functions.
Is Powersave Mode on still a problem linked with the re-scans?

Interestingly, since I received 46.2 last week, I have experienced several times when returning to my X that the USB resumed playing. Before this I think it had happened once or twice in 2 years. (it always seemed to work in my S a long time ago)

So the code to do this is in there still, and it seems to be working more often...

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
Interestingly, since I received 46.2 last week, I have experienced several times when returning to my X that the USB resumed playing. Before this I think it had happened once or twice in 2 years. (it always seemed to work in my S a long time ago)

So the code to do this is in there still, and it seems to be working more often...
What filetypes are you playing? MP3, FLAC, other -- or perhaps an unknown mix copied across to your USB device?

I hate to throw cold water on some possible good news (thanks for reporting the observation!), but I've been bitten by coincidence too many times, and my now pessimistic-self on anyything related to MP tends to dive into the detail before getting too excited. ;) (Reason for my question is if you perhaps have a mix of different encoded filetypes on your USB device, and happened to be playing MP3 as you exited, it would likely explain why you see resume working some, but not most of the time. My experience shows MP3 resumes correctly nearly 100% of the time, while other formats do not do it nearly as well -- if at all.)

Just received update 48.1

Here is the results for USB that I have seen so far:
1. Shuffle still seems shuffled
2. Track listing and scrolling and going back and forth for USB is audio is as it should be. In other words, buttery sexy smooth with 6000+ tracks on the storage volume. Why it wasn't like that before makes me mad, but it's fixed now.
3. Album view for USB is still fricked up. If you have 10 tracks in an album, that album is listed 10 times, each sub-folder containing a different track. WHY?!?!?!
4. Navigating to an Album from the Artist selection gets you.... tracks listed and played in correct album order!
5. Searching for an Artist and Album from the Search Nothing screen (my chosen term) will give you a correct USB result, but the selection will only play ONE item from that Artist or Album so good luck listening to an entire discography from that screen.

a followup to my own post 4 weeks ago, where I reported severe lagginess in the USB player UI e.g. when switching between Favorites & Songs tabs on v9 42.2, it would take 10 seconds or more for the UI to respond to touchscreen taps...

last night I received the update to 2018.48.12.1 d6999f5

I immediately noticed today under 48.12.1 that the lagginess is gone, and now tapping to change between USB Favorites, Songs, Albums etc is immediate, just like it was prior to v9. So... thank goodness, some progress.

I haven't done any other detailed testing of the many other remaining old USB player bugs, although I notice the old off-by-one-or-more-letter bug when scrolling the right-side alpha-index is still there.

a followup to my own post 4 weeks ago, where I reported severe lagginess in the USB player UI e.g. when switching between Favorites & Songs tabs on v9 42.2, it would take 10 seconds or more for the UI to respond to touchscreen taps...

last night I received the update to 2018.48.12.1 d6999f5

I immediately noticed today under 48.12.1 that the lagginess is gone, and now tapping to change between USB Favorites, Songs, Albums etc is immediate, just like it was prior to v9. So... thank goodness, some progress.

I haven't done any other detailed testing of the many other remaining old USB player bugs, although I notice the old off-by-one-or-more-letter bug when scrolling the right-side alpha-index is still there.
Good news on at least a bit of progress. Thx for the report.

...but you forgot the most important change that came in with this one that I too just installed :) ...new Yule Log and Fake Emissions Test easter eggs. So, for anyone that thinks Elon has 100% of his programmers on AP, well, it's just not true. As we've seen the last few years, there is plenty of time to develop nonsensical things that probably make him chuckle -- when clear bugs remain in the basics across 100% of the fleet.

Happy Holidays all! Enjoy that Yule log while you sit in your MS listening to MP USB!

I saw a lot of duplicated songs too, but upon examination, they were actually in my iTunes library! I don't know how they got there, but there are iTunes menu options to find and delete them.

Use one of those music matafile editing programs, such as Tag&Rename which is very powerful and easy to use. They will be able to grab album arts from the internet for you. They likely will be able to fix those other problems you have too.