Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll keep editing this post as we define the requests and add.

So far we have in no particular order:
1. Bring back letter shortcuts for song lists
2. Display proper and full track info when playing music from folder view
3. Read USB volume name instead of randomly assigning USB# label
4. Allow option to make USB album art primary art source (Google images is not a valid alternative to a failed gracenote lookup)
5. Playlist support / remember the "playlist" that the recent was a part of. If I'm understanding, if you Favorited/recent a song while listening to an album, it goes back into playing all the songs in that album (correct me if I'm wrong here)
6. Proper display for multi-artist albums (how would this best work?)
7. "Bookmark" exact place in audio track and resume playing from there after car shutdown/scheduled charge cycle
8. Queue next song, artist, album by making the text in now playing hot-linked
9. Automatic volume leveling (speed or ambient noise based?)
10. More granular equalizer control (10 band x 2 channel, F/R -OR- 5 band x 4 channel, FL/FR/RL/RR)

I have a 128GB SanDisk thumb drive with about 16K songs. Every time i start up the car it reloads the drive. It takes about 20 minutes to fully load, rendering the drive virtually useless.

• Informative
Reactions: evp and Drucifer
I can't get lost in the shuffle. I can't even get "the shuffle" to work correctly.
It may be a minority viewpoint here but I always keep shuffle off since I want my symphonies and albums to play in order*. If the 8.0 USB software were to default to shuffle-on I'd be mighty unhappy. Still sticking with 7.1 until I hear reports from you daring types that USB playback has been fixed (not that I expect it from Tesla's streaming-generation programmers).

* [The idea of shuffling between the first movement of Haydn's Symphony No. 48 and White Rabbit and the fourth movement of Brahms Symphony No. 2 and Dueling Banjos leaves me pretty cold. Others may differ!]

Last edited:
It may be a minority viewpoint here but I always keep shuffle off since I want my symphonies and albums to play in order*. If the 8.0 USB software were to default to shuffle-on I'd be mighty unhappy. Still sticking with 7.1 until I hear reports from you daring types that USB playback has been fixed (not that I expect it from Tesla's streaming-generation programmers).

* [The idea of shuffling between the first movement of Haydn's Symphony No. 48 and White Rabbit and the fourth movement of Brahms Symphony No. 2 and Dueling Banjos leaves me pretty cold. Others may differ!]
Since albums play alphabetically instead of by track number, how to you cope?

I have a 128GB SanDisk thumb drive with about 16K songs. Every time i start up the car it reloads the drive. It takes about 20 minutes to fully load, rendering the drive virtually useless.
This happens to me too. Super annoying, I have a 15 minute commute so since version 8.0 I havent' been able to listen to my music on my commute.

Also, Someone else mentioned it has to do with power saving mode, which is crazy because a) it worked fine in power saving mode in version 7.0 and b) you shoudl be able to save power and still save/remember a directory structure tag info in memory.

Regardless I pay for my electricity and don't like the idea of increasing vampire drain just to be able to listen to my music. Seems like the system is moving backwards and was better before the update...

This happens to me too. Super annoying, I have a 15 minute commute so since version 8.0 I havent' been able to listen to my music on my commute.

Also, Someone else mentioned it has to do with power saving mode, which is crazy because a) it worked fine in power saving mode in version 7.0 and b) you shoudl be able to save power and still save/remember a directory structure tag info in memory.

Regardless I pay for my electricity and don't like the idea of increasing vampire drain just to be able to listen to my music. Seems like the system is moving backwards and was better before the update...
Ok I'm the guy who pointed out that it doesn't reload every day if you turn off power savings. I'm not happy about that, but is good to know there's a workaround until they fix it. We are all on this thread because it is messed up. We all know it shouldn't be like this, and that many of these errors were not in 7.1.

Regarding art though, I'd love to know how the people experiencing issues have their tracks tagged. My art is working perfectly though sometimes I have to tap reload to get it to display.

Reactions: rjt65 and Drucifer
...Regarding art though, I'd love to know how the people experiencing issues have their tracks tagged. My art is working perfectly though sometimes I have to tap reload to get it to display.
IMHO part of the challenge is the ID3 spec is very broad when it comes to Album Art, essentially supporting most anything as long as it's bounded by valid container tags. With all those possibilities, players will still never support every possible combination from past, present and future. I accept that. Tesla of course has not specified what their design points or limitations may be -- we only found though usage that some Album Art is displaying when 8.0 was made available. As such, without any concrete evidence, my gut remains convinced the failures I'm seeing with Album Art in 8.0 are due to some combination of these 3 things not being supported or mishandled with Tesla's initial Album Art implementation.
  1. Format: IMHO, a minimum of .jpg and .png file types need to be supported if they are not
  2. Physical Size / Dimensions: As in, if the aggregate image size (KB/MB) is too big and/or if dimensions of the art itself on one or more axes is too large from Tesla's design perspective, it may be ignored or mishandled -- IDK. My personal expectation would be Tesla should scale down anything that may be too large for it to use or display, never ignore something that is valid if that is what is happening.
  3. Multiple Album Art within a single track: ID3 spec (as well as iTunes and other prominent players) allow this, even if only the first image is ever displayed upon playback without the user taking overt action to see the others. Again, I'd expect Tesla to at a minimum do the same if they are not -- always show the first piece of valid Album Art and ignore the rest if they exist within a track.
Background:

In terms of Album Art, the majority of mine has been added over the years via simple drag and drop from one source on my former PC, now Mac, to the iTunes Album Art window for the Album (which propagates to each individual track). Most of my first 1000 or so albums were all manually ripped way back-in-the-day directly into iTunes, with my manually locating or scanning cover art before there was decent automation to assist in the selection process in more recent times. The remaining 300+ albums I have are digital downloads, but I've purposely scanned my entire library and replaced common iTunes-specific images via drag-and-drop into every track to ensure they had their own unique images in prep for my MS one day being able to display them. ;) Amazon is still generally my favorite go-to location finding large album art if I'm not using a tool like dBpoweramp to rip a whole CD. Amazon also has a mix of .jpg and .png file types, just as I have in my library. For the past at least couple of years, I have been trying to put art in place with a minimum 800x800 size, but most new Albums from say Amazon are in excess of 1000x1000 these days. I also have a fair number of albums, and therefore tracks, where I have scanned jackets and liner notes that come with CDs, and placed each image as additional album art on the tracks so I'm 100% digital.

IMHO part of the challenge is the ID3 spec is very broad when it comes to Album Art, essentially supporting most anything as long as it's bounded by valid container tags. ....

At the end of the day, they took something that worked passibly (meh) and made it so it doesn't work at all. Pretty insulting to those of us who ponied up more money for improved sound - and no, the sound quality over 3G with Slacker doesn't cut it.

Reactions: jcadman22 and BertL

Can you please at least test with power saving mode off so that we have another data point if this is actually related? I'll gladly send you a dime to cover the costs :)

IMHO part of the challenge is the ID3 spec is very broad when it comes to Album Art, essentially supporting most anything as long as it's bounded by valid container tags. With all those possibilities, players will still never support every possible combination from past, present and future. I accept that. Tesla of course has not specified what their design points or limitations may be -- we only found though usage that some Album Art is displaying when 8.0 was made available. As such, without any concrete evidence, my gut remains convinced the failures I'm seeing with Album Art in 8.0 are due to some combination of these 3 things not being supported or mishandled with Tesla's initial Album Art implementation.
  1. Format: IMHO, a minimum of .jpg and .png file types need to be supported if they are not
  2. Physical Size / Dimensions: As in, if the aggregate image size (KB/MB) is too big and/or if dimensions of the art itself on one or more axes is too large from Tesla's design perspective, it may be ignored or mishandled -- IDK. My personal expectation would be Tesla should scale down anything that may be too large for it to use or display, never ignore something that is valid if that is what is happening.
  3. Multiple Album Art within a single track: ID3 spec (as well as iTunes and other prominent players) allow this, even if only the first image is ever displayed upon playback without the user taking overt action to see the others. Again, I'd expect Tesla to at a minimum do the same if they are not -- always show the first piece of valid Album Art and ignore the rest if they exist within a track.
Background:

In terms of Album Art, the majority of mine has been added over the years via simple drag and drop from one source on my former PC, now Mac, to the iTunes Album Art window for the Album (which propagates to each individual track). Most of my first 1000 or so albums were all manually ripped way back-in-the-day directly into iTunes, with my manually locating or scanning cover art before there was decent automation to assist in the selection process in more recent times. The remaining 300+ albums I have are digital downloads, but I've purposely scanned my entire library and replaced common iTunes-specific images via drag-and-drop into every track to ensure they had their own unique images in prep for my MS one day being able to display them. ;) Amazon is still generally my favorite go-to location finding large album art if I'm not using a tool like dBpoweramp to rip a whole CD. Amazon also has a mix of .jpg and .png file types, just as I have in my library. For the past at least couple of years, I have been trying to put art in place with a minimum 800x800 size, but most new Albums from say Amazon are in excess of 1000x1000 these days. I also have a fair number of albums, and therefore tracks, where I have scanned jackets and liner notes that come with CDs, and placed each image as additional album art on the tracks so I'm 100% digital.
Makes sense. I ripped everything to FLAC using Mac software called Max since iTunes doesn't do FLAC and tesla doesn't do ALAC. Max automatically reduces art to, I believe, 300x300 jpeg.

Maybe difference between mine working and yours not working is file size????

Frustrating that tesla doesn't publish, but we have great detectives in this club, plus lots of AMAZING hackers who will gladly write software to "fix" everyone's album art and tags to work with 8.0.

OK now who is going to take the bait and be amazing?!?!?

Can you please at least test with power saving mode off so that we have another data point if this is actually related? I'll gladly send you a dime to cover the costs :)
Repeating only because this kind of information tends to get lost in long threads -- for my part I originally declared victory after turning off energy saving mode... then recanted and declared failure a day or two later after it didn't fix the problem after all. A little guesswork: more than one factor is at work, and these include both number of tracks and use of energy-saving. So someone with very few tracks might never see a problem, someone with more tracks might see a stable (well, as stable as 8.0 MP ever gets) system with energy saving disabled but not enabled, and someone with even more tracks (me) might see it less bad but still not good enough to call "usable" with energy saving disabled. For reference, I have just short of 25,000 tracks which I think puts me in maybe the upper decile of people who have reported their library size.

Since albums play alphabetically instead of by track number, how to you cope?
My albums play fine in 7.1. I don't know if it matters but when I rip them I always number the tracks (01, 02, 03...) before adding the description; learned to do that with audio books where order is critical (01-01, 01-02, 01-03... for disc 1 tracks 1, 2, 3 and so forth). But I used .wma and there are reports that it isn't supported by 8.0 (why?) and I don't want to do a conversion unless I really have to. So, no 8.0 for me until I see user reports that USB has been substantially fixed — I'm not holding my breath waiting! There aren't many features in 8.0 that are a significant improvement for classic car owners, so far as I have seen, so no loss in not making the update (It is more like a "downdate" for USB users).

I saw this in the release notes someone posted from 2.40.21 on a Model X:
ModelX-8-USB-Search.png

Is that new? I thought one of the big complaints was that the search didn't search USB.

• Helpful
Reactions: jcadman22
My albums play fine in 7.1. I don't know if it matters but when I rip them I always number the tracks (01, 02, 03...) before adding the description; learned to do that with audio books where order is critical (01-01, 01-02, 01-03... for disc 1 tracks 1, 2, 3 and so forth). But I used .wma and there are reports that it isn't supported by 8.0 (why?) and I don't want to do a conversion unless I really have to. So, no 8.0 for me until I see user reports that USB has been substantially fixed — I'm not holding my breath waiting! There aren't many features in 8.0 that are a significant improvement for classic car owners, so far as I have seen, so no loss in not making the update (It is more like a "downdate" for USB users).
So the track title has the track number and/or the filename has the track number?