Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
as long as the stick is reliable
Yes, that's the rub. As previously noted, I had been hoping to find out that some models are known to be generally reliable. Sounds like this is not so (either because there's no pattern, or because we haven't got the collective knowledge to figuree it out. Which is fine).
The 128GB Pro Elite PNY that I just received turns out to have a very slow write speed (~ 5MB/s) so it's probably going back to PNY.
FWIW my 256GB PNY is similarly slow at writing. I'm not bothered by that, for the reasons you noted.

Yes, that's the rub. As previously noted, I had been hoping to find out that some models are known to be generally reliable. Sounds like this is not so (either because there's no pattern, or because we haven't got the collective knowledge to figuree it out. Which is fine).

FWIW my 256GB PNY is similarly slow at writing. I'm not bothered by that, for the reasons you noted.
Agree, even though my 256 PNY has superfast reads and no rescans it takes all night to write 238GB's of FLAC's to it.

OK, so now I'll join the USB stick geeks. I really, really doubt that what is going on here is error handling. Typically if a stick functions at all, there are few read errors in the scheme of things. Not enough to cause multiples of scan time. More likely that whoever wrote the new code for 8.0 USB handling did something dumb with I/O, like doing multiple passes on the whole drive for different tags or something. Wouldn't put it past them, it would be right up there with the other stupidity in this area.

OK, I confess this is getting to be a bit of deep dive on the h/w, but this article makes some important distinctions between SSD and Flash that may explain the wide range of experiences and/or clear a path to reliable (and fast) USB music.

This PNY SSD drive claims "up to" 400MB/s write speed, which is 17x more than the 180Mb/s (note the small "b") for the Pro Elite flash drive. Available in 480GB capacity which would hold most of my uncompressed collection. It will be a little bit messier to put in the car, though running a cable to underneath the console pit (where I usually lose things from the more forward section) might be pretty easy.

Last edited:
OK, I confess this is getting to be a bit of deep dive on the h/w, but this article makes some important distinctions between SSD and Flash that may explain the wide range of experiences and/or clear a path to reliable (and fast) USB music. And this PNY SSD drive claims "up to" 400MB/s write speed, which is 17x more than the 180Mb/s (note the small "b") for the Pro Elite flash drive. It will be a little bit messier to put in the car, though running a cable to underneath the console pit (where I usually lose things from the more forward section) might be pretty easy.
I don't see how write speed helps in the car though.

OK, so now I'll join the USB stick geeks. I really, really doubt that what is going on here is error handling. Typically if a stick functions at all, there are few read errors in the scheme of things. Not enough to cause multiples of scan time. More likely that whoever wrote the new code for 8.0 USB handling did something dumb with I/O, like doing multiple passes on the whole drive for different tags or something. Wouldn't put it past them, it would be right up there with the other stupidity in this area.
Doesn't explain the spontaneous rescans some of us report and others don't, though.

Doesn't explain the spontaneous rescans some of us report and others don't, though.
Ok. I'll bite. If I need to theorize I believe it has to do with condition and charging cycle of the 12v battery. It powers the "appliances" of which USB and CPU are parties. Can't explain exactly why, but that's my instinct.

Brsides, rescans and speed of scan are totally different issues. No reason theyd be related in terms of cause.

I don't see how write speed helps in the car though.
I agree. Write speed just reduces the time/frustration in loading 480GB onto some storage medium for the car. Once in the car anything over 60MB/s (theoretical limit of USB 2.0 hi-speed) is irrelevant.

Of course. My limited experience is that it has something to do with the reliability of the stick. The stick that was causing me constant rescans also had intermittent trouble being recognized when plugged into my computer. Once I changed sticks, no more rescans.

• Informative
Reactions: jgs and msnow
I'm able to shuffle within Genre or Folder. Oddly, you can't shuffle within Artist.
Yeah it's a pain you can't shuffle within an Artist, if that artist has several albums.

Also although you can shuffle within a folder, it seems you can only do so if you first navigate to the bottom of a hierarchy of folders. eg my entire USB is organized as Artist/Album and I can only shuffle by Folder if I first drill down into an individual album's folder.

Yeah it's a pain you can't shuffle within an Artist, if that artist has several albums.

Also although you can shuffle within a folder, it seems you can only do so if you first navigate to the bottom of a hierarchy of folders. eg my entire USB is organized as Artist/Album and I can only shuffle by Folder if I first drill down into an individual album's folder.
I understand. However, you can gather the Artist/Album folders into a higher level of folders and not lose any of the Genre/Artist/Album tagging that will be done by the Media Player. So you can create your own pseudo-playlist or genre by using the top level folders.

I had my X in for service the other day and received a S85 loaner. Interestingly, after first loading, the USB results always were instantaneously available whenever I subsequently used the car.

However, with my X (246.16), it needs to load every time. Vehicle difference or perhaps I just need to perform the "clean" reboot per BertL's earlier notes and it will operate similar to the S?

Also, despite not "fully loaded" yet, I still hear the last song played and it will sequence alpha-manually while still loading.

Finally, not on this topic I know but....I still can't see a full station list for XM. There is a station list button but it just takes me to the current channel and I can only go one station up or down numerically. Am I missing something or still not fixed by Tesla?
The S has always been a little bit different than the X in regards to reloading the last song being played when you get back to the car.

My X currently re-plays automatically after a shutdown most of the time but not all the time. I have not found a pattern either. It's so random. When it doesn't it's default to my Phone's bluetooth audio, with nothing being played.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
here's a new quirky bug/behaviour related to what happens after a rescan. Seems to be repeatable, I've observed the following a couple separate times now.

Let's say I'm listening to songs on the USB.Normally if I park/leave the car and come back some time later, songs continue to play off the USB when I return to the car, as expected.

at some random point, I come back to the car but find the USB to be rescanning (nothing new here in itself).
Because in my case at least, it seems to take >>5 or 10min to rescan while I wait for rescan to complete I instead use Slacker. (64GB Sandisk Ultra Fit USB stick, >50GB / 7000-ish songs),

songs play as expected on Slacker as the minutes pass by. I have the USB main screen open so that I can see when it gets to 100%.
After the scan is 100%, ***the USB starts to play again in the same album/folder where it was playing before it randomly started rescan ***

that's not too bad in itself, since that's probably what I'd like to do - i.e. continue playing the USB where it left off before rescan. But at this point the music player seems to be in some kind of odd state, the UI out of sync with what the audio playback is doing. Following is what I observe:

- once the USB resumes playing by itself after the rescan completes, I notice that the FFwd and REW controls don't do what you'd expect.
- also, where it shows the song currently playing on the central display (with the album art picture), it is still showing a Slacker song in the whatever Slacker channel was playing before USB resumed. i.e. you don't see the USB song title/album art displayed even though it is playing.

- REW does nothing while the USB song is playing (just like how you can't REW a normal Slacker song)
- if I press FFwd, instead of advancing to the next song on USB, it instead advances to the next song on the Slacker channel I was listening to previously
- at this point, the display again shows the correct playing song (now on Slacker)
- if you let this Slacker song play through to the end, the display advances as if it's playing the next song on the Slacker channel, however the audio playing is actually the next song on the USB album.
- progress bar moves along, as if the slacker song is playing (but again, it's the USB song actually playing)
- if you let this song (USB) to play to its end, the next USB song following it then plays, but meanwhile again the display advances to the album art of the next Slacker song - as if the Slacker channel is playing.
- FFwd again at any time and again you get the next Slacker song actually playing

etc. repeat

once the car is put in Park, or you manually navigate to some other area of the media player, everything seems go go back to normal. until you get another random rescan...

so in summary, after a rescan, somehow the USB resumes playing but the media player UI is somehow confused and thinks the Slacker channel is still playing even though the USB is actually playing

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus and msnow
here's a new quirky bug/behaviour related to what happens after a rescan. Seems to be repeatable, I've observed the following a couple separate times now.

Let's say I'm listening to songs on the USB.Normally if I park/leave the car and come back some time later, songs continue to play off the USB when I return to the car, as expected.

at some random point, I come back to the car but find the USB to be rescanning (nothing new here in itself).
Because in my case at least, it seems to take >>5 or 10min to rescan while I wait for rescan to complete I instead use Slacker. (64GB Sandisk Ultra Fit USB stick, >50GB / 7000-ish songs),

songs play as expected on Slacker as the minutes pass by. I have the USB main screen open so that I can see when it gets to 100%.
After the scan is 100%, ***the USB starts to play again in the same album/folder where it was playing before it randomly started rescan ***

that's not too bad in itself, since that's probably what I'd like to do - i.e. continue playing the USB where it left off before rescan. But at this point the music player seems to be in some kind of odd state, the UI out of sync with what the audio playback is doing. Following is what I observe:

- once the USB resumes playing by itself after the rescan completes, I notice that the FFwd and REW controls don't do what you'd expect.
- also, where it shows the song currently playing on the central display (with the album art picture), it is still showing a Slacker song in the whatever Slacker channel was playing before USB resumed. i.e. you don't see the USB song title/album art displayed even though it is playing.

- REW does nothing while the USB song is playing (just like how you can't REW a normal Slacker song)
- if I press FFwd, instead of advancing to the next song on USB, it instead advances to the next song on the Slacker channel I was listening to previously
- at this point, the display again shows the correct playing song (now on Slacker)
- if you let this Slacker song play through to the end, the display advances as if it's playing the next song on the Slacker channel, however the audio playing is actually the next song on the USB album.
- progress bar moves along, as if the slacker song is playing (but again, it's the USB song actually playing)
- if you let this song (USB) to play to its end, the next USB song following it then plays, but meanwhile again the display advances to the album art of the next Slacker song - as if the Slacker channel is playing.
- FFwd again at any time and again you get the next Slacker song actually playing

etc. repeat

once the car is put in Park, or you manually navigate to some other area of the media player, everything seems go go back to normal. until you get another random rescan...

so in summary, after a rescan, somehow the USB resumes playing but the media player UI is somehow confused and thinks the Slacker channel is still playing even though the USB is actually playing
Good detailed observation. Thx

I've also had similar experiences with parts of USB playback not being fully operational after some rescans (not predictable), including greyed-out play/pause/back/forward buttons until I switch to another Media Source and back. My workaround for months is to just do the quick switch to FM or some other source, then back to USB when goes whacky.

EM has committed to ship v8.1 this month and is on the record that the s/w development teams are working seven days a week.

v8.1 will probably have something useful for the AP2 cars which currently have less functionality than the AP1 cars, but what about the rest of us who will gain no benefit from the AP2 features, but would like to see some of the v8.0 regression corrected?

Burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me. So the burning question is, who wants to be the beta tester to find out of v8.1 will actually correct some of the media player problems of v8.0?

I for one plan to not install v8.1 until there is clear evidence that it resolves more issues than it creates.

EM has committed to ship v8.1 this month and is on the record that the s/w development teams are working seven days a week.

v8.1 will probably have something useful for the AP2 cars which currently have less functionality than the AP1 cars, but what about the rest of us who will gain no benefit from the AP2 features, but would like to see some of the v8.0 regression corrected?

Burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me. So the burning question is, who wants to be the beta tester to find out of v8.1 will actually correct some of the media player problems of v8.0?

I for one plan to not install v8.1 until there is clear evidence that it resolves more issues than it creates.

I'll install it. I'm a sucker for clearing notifications, so having the little alarm clock there will drive me batty anyway.

• Funny
Reactions: Boatguy
Oh, I'll jump. As far as MP goes, I have very little to lose. Seriously -- even if audio were to be completely disabled it would just not be that big of a loss for me compared to the current functionality. I suppose if it randomly popped on and blared split-second bursts of noise then that would be worse (oh wait, actually it does that already! but fortunately only when I enter the car and clears by itself within a short time).

• Funny
Reactions: bmah and kevinf311