Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question: On another thread a user claimed that they could use the voice commands to bring up USB music. I think that MAY have worked years ago but I have not had it do that in forever, or if ever. The V9 manual specifically states Internet music.

Can someone state if they have ever been able to call up USB music via the voice command, and if so how?

Overall the new UI follows the general “clean” look theme as the other functions, I suspect, in part, to minimize the gap between S/X and the more compact M3 UI versions.

I like the newer eq screen. The balance joystick control makes the change in real time with less latency. Delegating each function to it own sub menu must have some benefit. I rarely did anything with the old interface other than move the eq sliders. However, the separate sub menu for Dolby seems a bit unnecessary.

The system still chokes on large high bitrate files. I was hoping with less info to hold in the buffer without the album images, there might be some improvement. Apparently they siphoned off any memory capacity to some other function. It is a bit infuriating that the software engineers continue to thumb their noses at customers who drank the koolaid and ponied up the big bucks for the “upgraded” sound system.

A new MP glitch today (at least new to me). Still on 8.1 2018.34.1

I normally listen to the USB player. This morning got in the car and the last song previously playing on the display spun for a moment and then showed a Loading Error (MP3 track). Could not get USB to play.

What was new this time was when I switched to Slacker and TuneIn, neither would play, both gave Loading Errors. LTE signal was fine so it wasn’t due to lost connection (web browser working). AM/FM radio still working, Bluetooth streaming from phone still ok

This triple Loading Error condition persisted after parking the car and coming back later for another driving session. Reboot finally solved it.

This triple Loading Error condition persisted after parking the car and coming back later for another driving session. Reboot finally solved it.
I have seen this behavior at least 3 times in the last year in various releases. It just seems to be random.

Disclaimer: I don't drive my car more than about 8 times a week so I have a very reduced total trip count than most Tesla users.

A new MP glitch today (at least new to me). Still on 8.1 2018.34.1

I normally listen to the USB player. This morning got in the car and the last song previously playing on the display spun for a moment and then showed a Loading Error (MP3 track). Could not get USB to play.

What was new this time was when I switched to Slacker and TuneIn, neither would play, both gave Loading Errors. LTE signal was fine so it wasn’t due to lost connection (web browser working). AM/FM radio still working, Bluetooth streaming from phone still ok

I had this as well, though I am on the older 3G system. I had switched back over to USB playback to see how random it might be. Came back to the car and loading errors galore. I just gave 'er a scroll wheel reboot without much further diagnosis and since it came back up on Slacker, which started playing, I left it there. The album art not updating (on Slacker) is still an issue. I'm still on whatever v8 firmware load was latest as of a couple weeks ago.

BertL, thanks for the comprehensive summary. I would summarize this as follows:

* Fixed none of the old bugs.
* Introduced new bugs.

I'm pretty much disgusted. I have filed a very comprehensive bug report regarding
-- not playing tracks in the right order,
-- not being able to show long lists of tracks or albums or artists,
-- lack of gapless playback
Many many months ago through executive escalation.

They blew it off and introduced more breakage.

Whoever's in charge of the software team -- Elon Musk, perhaps? -- is not listening to customer feedback. They need to replace the head of the software team pronto, with someone who fixes bugs instead of introducing them.
They just don't have the manpower. Part of that 9000 that were laid off were people who were not working directly on AP improvement and AP bugfixes, but were working on the software team. For whatever reason, this is a complete non-priority for them. And there doesn't seem to be much they care to do about it.
I had this as well, though I am on the older 3G system. I had switched back over to USB playback to see how random it might be. Came back to the car and loading errors galore. I just gave 'er a scroll wheel reboot without much further diagnosis and since it came back up on Slacker, which started playing, I left it there. The album art not updating (on Slacker) is still an issue. I'm still on whatever v8 firmware load was latest as of a couple weeks ago.
Not to totally derail the conversation, but it seems someone has finally been able to create an HDMI input for the MCU. This would allow a visible (yet non-touch interactive) media player alternative. Currently revisiting the Kodi/Plex on Raspberry Pi idea at the moment.

We had an audiobook we started under V8.1 that played OK. It at least parsed the tracks in some manner that made sense. To put the book on the stick I ripped the CD set, and it was organized with a folder for each disc:

Disc 01
01 - Track 01
02 - Track 02
03 - Track 03
04 - Track 04
05 - Track 05
06 - Track 06
07 - Track 07
08 - Track 08
Disc 02
09 - Track 09
10 - Track 10
11 - Track 11
12 - Track 12
13 - Track 13
14 - Track 14
15 - Track 15
etc. (total of 6 discs)

What does version 9 do?

Track 01
Track 01
Track 01
Track 01
Track 01
Track 01
Track 02
Track 02
Track 02
Track 02
Track 02
Track 02
Track 03
Track 03
etc.

There was no rhyme or reason for which track 01 was which. The first track 01 could be for disc 6 of disc 3. I eliminated the folders for the Discs and put everything in one folder and it kept doing the above track numbering.

It takes some effort to screw up the track naming that badly. At least for this audiobook there is no way to play it in the car without manually renaming each file, and I'm not sure what names would work.

We had an audiobook we started under V8.1 that played OK. It at least parsed the tracks in some manner that made sense. To put the book on the stick I ripped the CD set, and it was organized with a folder for each disc:

Disc 01
01 - Track 01
02 - Track 02
03 - Track 03
04 - Track 04
05 - Track 05
06 - Track 06
07 - Track 07
08 - Track 08
Disc 02
09 - Track 09
10 - Track 10
11 - Track 11
12 - Track 12
13 - Track 13
14 - Track 14
15 - Track 15
etc. (total of 6 discs)

What does version 9 do?

Track 01
Track 01
Track 01
Track 01
Track 01
Track 01
Track 02
Track 02
Track 02
Track 02
Track 02
Track 02
Track 03
Track 03
etc.

There was no rhyme or reason for which track 01 was which. The first track 01 could be for disc 6 of disc 3. I eliminated the folders for the Discs and put everything in one folder and it kept doing the above track numbering.

It takes some effort to screw up the track naming that badly. At least for this audiobook there is no way to play it in the car without manually renaming each file, and I'm not sure what names would work.
I suspect you are using Folder View within the MP USB UI to access your tracks. If so, as reported a couple weeks back (see the section in that post on Problem Areas: Sort Order), Tesla is no longer using the directory/filename structure alone to sequence tracks within Folder View -- they are intermixing use of some tag data. I agree that's a very poor design choice on Tesla's part, and IMO sort sequence has now become irrational in Folder View for normally-named and tagged media.

POSSIBLE WORKAROUNDS:
1) It may not work for you depending on your file naming and meta tagging, but the simplest thing to first try is access your same tracks via Album View (not Folder View). For me using my former & present file naming/tagging workaround process, Album View sorts correctly by ALBUM tag, then uses the TRACKNUMBER tag for playback -- albeit Tesla still does not handle multi-disc albums using DISCNUMBER as it should so that will likely remain a problem for the example you provided.
2) If Album View does not work for you, IMHO you're basically stuck unless you want to try renaming/tagging your tracks and live with some UI anomalies. IOW, I think what you'd want to try is:
- Keep all of the tracks for the same album or audiobook in a unique named folder on your USB device. Ensure each of those related tracks has the same ALBUM tag.
- Then, add a unique sequence number in front of TRACKTITLE (that's the meta tag, not filename) for each track within each album. Be sure to keep those sequence numbers unique across discs in any multi-disc albums to ensure proper sequencing of multi-disc albums. E.g. "01 First Track of 1st Disc", "02 Second Track of 1st Disc", "03 First Track of 2nd Disc", etc.)
- Then give Folder View another try. No promises, but from what I remember from my testing nearly 3 weeks ago, that may work. The new issue these changes will cause is going to be the track titles appearing across the UI will have those unique sequence numbers in front of them. Annoying perhaps, but proper playback sequence may be resolved assuming that's what's most important to you.​

Good luck!

V9 is getting worse than ever. I just wanted them to fix it so music resumes when I get back in the car. Nope, still not fixed for X/3. Worse yet, I am getting more loading errors than ever on every song requiring a reboot.
Unsure what encoding format you're using, and since Tesla does not document ANY that are supported (sad!): All I can suggest are the same workarounds as before: Ensure phone contacts and Nav History are as small as possible; you've not gone overboard with too many tracks and tag data; then perhaps most importantly for your problems, try using MP3 VBS file format as I have described upthread a couple of times. I had excessive loading errors sometimes multiple times a day or week using FLAC with 8.1, and music almost never restarted where it left off upon exit/reenter until I bit the bullet and changed my workaround process to only play MP3 in my MS several months ago. Loading Errors for me basically disappeared until V9 was delivered, and even now, it's been more than 2 weeks since I encountered that problem listening to my USB music most all the time. My music also picks up where it left off nearly every time with 8.1 as well as V9. Good luck!

At this point, this is what I advise:
1 -- Demand that your service center revert your software to v8, or if possible v7 or v6.
2 -- Do executive escalation again.
3 -- Sue over the damaged functionality.

Tesla doesn't seem able to listen to anything less than a lawsuit. I'm writing an open letter at Cleantechnica about the breakage in v9 to try to get their attention, AGAIN, but if that doesn't work, it's lawsuit time.

That might finally wake them up.

I suspect you are using Folder View within the MP USB UI to access your tracks. If so, as reported a couple weeks back (see the section in that post on Problem Areas: Sort Order), Tesla is no longer using the directory/filename structure alone to sequence tracks within Folder View -- they are intermixing use of some tag data. I agree that's a very poor design choice on Tesla's part, and IMO sort sequence has now become irrational in Folder View for normally-named and tagged media.

POSSIBLE WORKAROUNDS:
1) It may not work for you depending on your file naming and meta tagging, but the simplest thing to first try is access your same tracks via Album View (not Folder View). For me using my former & present file naming/tagging workaround process, Album View sorts correctly by ALBUM tag, then uses the TRACKNUMBER tag for playback -- albeit Tesla still does not handle multi-disc albums using DISCNUMBER as it should so that will likely remain a problem for the example you provided.
2) If Album View does not work for you, IMHO you're basically stuck unless you want to try renaming/tagging your tracks and live with some UI anomalies. IOW, I think what you'd want to try is:
- Keep all of the tracks for the same album or audiobook in a unique named folder on your USB device. Ensure each of those related tracks has the same ALBUM tag.
- Then, add a unique sequence number in front of TRACKTITLE (that's the meta tag, not filename) for each track within each album. Be sure to keep those sequence numbers unique across discs in any multi-disc albums to ensure proper sequencing of multi-disc albums. E.g. "01 First Track of 1st Disc", "02 Second Track of 1st Disc", "03 First Track of 2nd Disc", etc.)
- Then give Folder View another try. No promises, but from what I remember from my testing nearly 3 weeks ago, that may work. The new issue these changes will cause is going to be the track titles appearing across the UI will have those unique sequence numbers in front of them. Annoying perhaps, but proper playback sequence may be resolved assuming that's what's most important to you.​

Good luck!

I tried viewing by every option available. I haven't played a media stick in a couple of months so I don't remember for sure, but it looked like some options were gone. The folder view showed the most. Some views only showed a few things. The tracks were indexed wrong too because when a track ended we had to search around manually for the next track because it would jump randomly to some other part of the book.

I eliminated the Disc folders and put everything in one directory under the book name. It now looks like this (from Windows)
2018-10-21_001.jpg

The USB player still indexes it the same way with 6X Track 1s.

My most recent thought was the media player wrote a hidden file somewhere on the memory stick that is causing it to re-index the same way. I've been meaning to copy everything to a new stick and try again.

I tried viewing by every option available. I haven't played a media stick in a couple of months so I don't remember for sure, but it looked like some options were gone. The folder view showed the most. Some views only showed a few things. The tracks were indexed wrong too because when a track ended we had to search around manually for the next track because it would jump randomly to some other part of the book.

I eliminated the Disc folders and put everything in one directory under the book name. It now looks like this (from Windows)
View attachment 345797

My most recent thought was the media player wrote a hidden file somewhere on the memory stick that is causing it to re-index the same way. I've been meaning to copy everything to a new stick and try again.
I've never found Tesla's MP USB player makes changes to anything on a USB device. The new V9 AP2 cam functionality would be an exception to that, but isn't what either of our S90Ds are capable of.

I still suspect the problems you are having are related to not just file naming and file placement within a directory you see and modified via Windows, but how the individual tracks are tagged via ID3 inside each of those files. The ID3 tagging cannot be seen or changed by just moving or renaming files via Windows. This article may provide insight what ID3 is all about if you're not familiar with it. To workaround the problems you are encountering will require you explore and likely modify the ID3 tagging in each of your audiobook files as I suggested before, using a Windows application designed to read and change ID3 tags. There are many 3rd party apps and ways to accomplish that. I personally migrated from using Windows to a Mac several years ago, so can't help more in terms of present day Windows-specific apps you may want to try. Others here may be able to offer assistance if you need it. Good luck.

View attachment 345797

Wouldn't it work if you put each disc folder individually on the USB stick and then played each disc folder separately? Not as convenient as playing the entire book in a single folder, the way it is supposed to work, but really easy to implement.

I have a three disc music folder that plays in perfect order in V9 but I don't recall doing anything special when I ripped it years ago.

• Helpful
Reactions: BertL
New V9 "Randomness" Bug

We've discussed past problems "how random" USB MP shuffle mode was or wasn't. IMHO most of the issues had been resolved in later 8.1 releases. But after running another couple errands just now, and three different examples over the past few days, I can confirm the following with V9:

Problem:
If you playback on shuffle (aka "random"), and USB MP happens to select a track within the same view where you have multiple tracks with the same TRACKTITLE tag, V9 USB MP plays all tracks with the same TRACKTITLE before continuing on to the next more random track selection.
Examples:
  • I have 6200+ tracks on my USB device. Tracks are maintained in unique album directories with "DISCNUMBER-TRACKNUMBER TRACKTITLE" as the filename.
    • I have 2 tracks where TRACKTITLE is "Upside Down", both by Diana Ross, but the ALBUM and filename are different
    • I have 2 tracks where TRACKTITLE is "Up on the Roof", one by James Taylor, another by Neil Diamond, both on different ALBUMs with different filenames
  • I generally shuffle play via Song View (all tracks) or a subset via Genre
  • Tracks are randomly selected and played by MP USB as expected, unless
    • If "Upside Down" is played, then both tracks are played before another random selection begins
    • If "Up on the Roof" is played, then both tracks are played by JT and Neil Diamond before another random selection begins
My impression with V9 thus far is Tesla didn't change much of anything with underlying MP USB code other than what was necessary for the new UI and sort order changes introduced using TRACKTITLE (instead of filename). Because of that last change, a new problem appears to have been introduced how (random) shuffle works if you have multiple tracks with the same TRACKTITLE. I suspect this error may have also been in Tesla's 8.1 code, but since MP USB logic seemed to be based more on filenames, the situation was less likely to present itself. This isn't a super big problem in the scheme of issues we know of, but is certainly another oddity and example where Tesla's MP USB design and testing is far from achieving a passing score.