Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They've flat out said no to this. There is still enough hubris left for them to think that they can still do it best.

Hubris is right. They are blowing off a major resource no other car company could tap. There are very few Mercedes owners who would be willing to write software for Mercedes without being a BMW employee. Tesla's ownership pool probably has a higher percentage of tech professionals in it that any other car brand.

Nobody can do everything right. Tesla is failing in a few areas. Their replacement parts supply chain is weak, their service center and delivery center networks are straining at the seams with the expansion. And while they are kind of a mixed bag with UI in general, they get failing grades for the infotainment part of the UI (and its internal workings). They are improving on quality, but that is still a work in progress.

As all around cars, their vehicles are the best in the world IMO. Best EV range of anybody, best performance characteristics of anybody except a few extremely expensive supercars, great for hauling people and stuff, great battery management, etc. Because their cars are so great, I stretched by budget from a $30K-$40K car to $100K, but they need to work on their weak areas. Tapping into a resource with their existing owners is one area they could improve quite a bit on the cheap.

I understand the security concerns. There are ways to deal with that. Bring the teams in under NDA if necessary then do a thorough software audit and test before releasing it out into the wild. They need to do that sort of thing with safety critical system software already so they do know how to do it.

Hubris is right. They are blowing off a major resource no other car company could tap. There are very few Mercedes owners who would be willing to write software for Mercedes without being a BMW employee. Tesla's ownership pool probably has a higher percentage of tech professionals in it that any other car brand.

Nobody can do everything right. Tesla is failing in a few areas. Their replacement parts supply chain is weak, their service center and delivery center networks are straining at the seams with the expansion. And while they are kind of a mixed bag with UI in general, they get failing grades for the infotainment part of the UI (and its internal workings). They are improving on quality, but that is still a work in progress.

As all around cars, their vehicles are the best in the world IMO. Best EV range of anybody, best performance characteristics of anybody except a few extremely expensive supercars, great for hauling people and stuff, great battery management, etc. Because their cars are so great, I stretched by budget from a $30K-$40K car to $100K, but they need to work on their weak areas. Tapping into a resource with their existing owners is one area they could improve quite a bit on the cheap.

I understand the security concerns. There are ways to deal with that. Bring the teams in under NDA if necessary then do a thorough software audit and test before releasing it out into the wild. They need to do that sort of thing with safety critical system software already so they do know how to do it.
This is exactly why an infotainment SDK is needed. Open up a very few select "apps" to actually have an App Store like was originally promised. Developers don't need to go anywhere near AP or driving dynamics.

Reactions: X Fan
Guys can we get a petition going to get EM's attention on the USB music player? People made enough noise on "Camera on top in v9" and EM replied that it will be changed in the next dot update.

If the guy spent just a few days with the USB music player I am sure he'd get fed up and do something about it.

Reactions: neroden
Guys can we get a petition going to get EM's attention on the USB music player? People made enough noise on "Camera on top in v9" and EM replied that it will be changed in the next dot update.

If the guy spent just a few days with the USB music player I am sure he'd get fed up and do something about it.

Let's do it. Let's mention a popular prog-rock album which needs gapless playback specifically so that we can get *all* the bugs fixed. What do you think would be the most well-known album, the most likely for Musk to listen to, to name in this context?

Reactions: supratachophobia
Let's do it. Let's mention a popular prog-rock album which needs gapless playback specifically so that we can get *all* the bugs fixed. What do you think would be the most well-known album, the most likely for Musk to listen to, to name in this context?
I actually tweeted to Elon and Tesla last week about playing Dark Side Of the Moon via USB and let me know what's wrong with it! No response of course, but if they'd fix that and give me the ability to resume playback where I left off I'd be much happier.

• Love
My center screen developed bubbles and the SC told me I must upgrade to version 9 to get the replacement screen. I have a loaner Model X with version 9 and it only sporadically remembers where it left off on my USB drive. I think it is trying to make me use Tune in or some such nonsense since that is where it goes to when it can not remember my USB music stopping point. There are also way more glitches in the playback of the music too. Anyways, I am dreading getting my Model S back with version 9 on it and losing my perfect USB play I have had for quite sometime now.

• Informative
...I can't remember how 8.1 worked, but 9 is eliminated the folder structure when it parsed the stick. The separate Disc 1, Disc 2, etc. folders are not visible in the media player. Looking at the files by folder shows everything together in one place.
I tested my suggestion to put ripped audio books on the USB drive in separate folders for each disc and they play fine in folder view in V9, as expected. Just put each disc folder at the root of the USB drive and then play the first track in each disc folder as needed. Not as convenient as lumping all of the disc folders and tracks in one overall folder, but it works well enough.

Ran another experiment with audio books in Version 9 and found that folder view handles layers of folders perfectly. I put a book folder on my drive with individual ripped CD folders in it. I was able to open and play the CD folders normally.

I did have a problem with WMA playback, the tracks didn't merge seamlessly. WMA didn't work correctly in V8.1 either, IIRC. (My ripped CD audio books were done in WMA many years ago.) However, when I converted the audio book to FLAC it plays perfectly in V9. Did the same thing for all my music files several years ago and now only use FLAC for ripping my CD collection.

One nice change for V9 is that it resumes play from the point left off when I turn the car back on. My recollection is that V8.1 resumed play at the beginning of the current track.

Ran another experiment with audio books in Version 9 and found that folder view handles layers of folders perfectly. I put a book folder on my drive with individual ripped CD folders in it. I was able to open and play the CD folders normally.

I did have a problem with WMA playback, the tracks didn't merge seamlessly. WMA didn't work correctly in V8.1 either, IIRC. (My ripped CD audio books were done in WMA many years ago.) However, when I converted the audio book to FLAC it plays perfectly in V9. Did the same thing for all my music files several years ago and now only use FLAC for ripping my CD collection.

One nice change for V9 is that it resumes play from the point left off when I turn the car back on. My recollection is that V8.1 resumed play at the beginning of the current track.
I think the track reset had a lot to do with which non-driver door you opened.

• Informative
I think the track reset had a lot to do with which non-driver door you opened.
In my experience, the primary difference was the format. MP3 tracks resumed from the point you left off. FLAC resumed at the beginning of the track. So if v9 can now resume from the point left off in a FLAC track, then that is a definite improvement over v8.1.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and MP3Mike
My Tesla Twilight Zone (of unexplainable events) still exists with V9

Was listening to USB music (as usual) when I parked my MS a little more than 24 hours earlier. Opened my door. Strangely, no music was playing as expected. MP USB was up, but with only my top level directory name displayed. Nothing was selectable. Tried FM which worked, then touched USB to see if that would shake the UI loose. After more than 1 min (I timed it), no change on the CID.

So, I did a full CID reboot. Things were very sluggish for several minutes while the systems came back online. I have no discrete before/after timings, but IMO V9 MP USB was much slower to react than 8.1 ever was after a reboot and initial scan. Anyway, after nearly 15 minutes to scan my 6200 tracks, USB music became available, but effectively unusable with delays between interactions. I listened to FM for perhaps 10 mins while USB remained sluggish trying to get through the UI to play a track. I then parked, did my thing for nearly an hour, and when I came back, USB music was back to its new V9 norm working again. I was good on the way home and again this morning when I took my MS out for errands.

It can’t explain the oddity for MP USB going bezerk while I was parked — showing only an unselectable top level directory name — never seen that one before, but it sure seems V9 has some challenges after reboot with larger USB music libraries (6200 tracks in my case). I suspect MCU1 CPU and memory constraints are showing their ugly head more than what we’ve ever seen before, and the new UI is taxing what we have more than it should with larger (is 6200 big?) USB libraries. Tesla is definitely not pushing limits with their testing of MCU1 and USB environments to ensure usability, but hey what’s new with that? :)

I’m going to think about cutting the number of my USB music tracks down even further. That’s really sad given how many times I’ve already done it, with all the other workaround contortions, trying to make my Tesla MP more stable. :(

Last edited:
  • Informative
Yeah, I think the MP designed for 1) people who stream, 2) people who Bluetooth from phone, 3) people who put a modest number of MP 3s on thumb drive, and 9) people with large FLAC libraries. We are just an outlier case, using whatever memory is left.

Only solution is convince grimes. Otherwise it stays like this.

• Love

I have the original file structure stored on a hard drive here, I need to make another memory stick from it and test. Neither of us saw any folders when we tried to listen to the audio book the first time after V 9. I haven't had a chance to check.

I just uploaded the 2018.42.2 software in v9. No changes that I've noticed to the MP USB performance nor improvements to sound quality. Storage is cheap, so now I'm using smaller GB thumb drives with fewer files. FLAC of a reasonable size (24/96 seems to work OK at the moment) or MP3 VBR (V0) play just fine throwing no errors, remembering where it left off and coming on as soon as I open the door.

It's pathetic that I have to maintain two separate digital music libraries. One with 24/192 FLAC for home stereo listening and a dumbed-down MP3 V0 for the car. I found this article on the Technics website which explains the behavior of MP3 and FLAC while accessing the files.

"FLAC 24-bit files are usually available in 96kHz and 192kHz versions, though a few albums come in 24-bit/44.1kHz or 24-bit/48kHz. The 24-bit/192kHz versions are the highest quality files commonly available, and are identical to the studio master.
Unlike MP3, which throws some content away to reduce file sizes, FLAC is lossless, and works like a computer zip file. It’s uncompressed ‘on the fly’ as you play the music, and delivers exactly the same data present before the file was compressed.
"

So, I think it's safe to say that there's more demand on the processor's memory to "unzip" the FLAC and dump that data into the buffer than it is to process an MP3. That would explain why lower res FLAC play fine but the 24/192 files are hard for the MP to digest.

I just uploaded the 2018.42.2 software in v9. No changes that I've noticed to the MP USB performance nor improvements to sound quality. Storage is cheap, so now I'm using smaller GB thumb drives with fewer files. FLAC of a reasonable size (24/96 seems to work OK at the moment) or MP3 VBR (V0) play just fine throwing no errors, remembering where it left off and coming on as soon as I open the door.

It's pathetic that I have to maintain two separate digital music libraries. One with 24/192 FLAC for home stereo listening and a dumbed-down MP3 V0 for the car. I found this article on the Technics website which explains the behavior of MP3 and FLAC while accessing the files.

"FLAC 24-bit files are usually available in 96kHz and 192kHz versions, though a few albums come in 24-bit/44.1kHz or 24-bit/48kHz. The 24-bit/192kHz versions are the highest quality files commonly available, and are identical to the studio master.
Unlike MP3, which throws some content away to reduce file sizes, FLAC is lossless, and works like a computer zip file. It’s uncompressed ‘on the fly’ as you play the music, and delivers exactly the same data present before the file was compressed.
"

So, I think it's safe to say that there's more demand on the processor's memory to "unzip" the FLAC and dump that data into the buffer than it is to process an MP3. That would explain why lower res FLAC play fine but the 24/192 files are hard for the MP to digest.
Interesting. Might also explain why FLAC tracks restart at beginning.