Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I am happy to report the SC did not update my FW. I did not even mention wanting to keep it as you really have no control anyway.

So either they did not care about it or were not required to do it. Not sure but happy to retain my current version.

Eventually you will have an issue, and the service center will blame any and every issue on your old software. :D

• Funny
Reactions: aesculus
Given the apparent 'if it's not my fetish I won't prioritize fixing it' disposition of Elon Musk - I wonder if a lot of collective tweeting [he does appear to like the 'Bird] from users on this thread might improve the situation?
  1. Basics/Tablestakes: Album Art - consistently reliable, does not use OTA 'search' to replace it either !
  2. but really, for a $70K+++ car, would supporting industry-standard playlist files be too much to ask?
  3. And voice search for USB media which we've all tagged perfectly with industry standard methods ???

Given the apparent 'if it's not my fetish I won't prioritize fixing it' disposition of Elon Musk - I wonder if a lot of collective tweeting [he does appear to like the 'Bird] from users on this thread might improve the situation?
  1. Basics/Tablestakes: Album Art - consistently reliable, does not use OTA 'search' to replace it either !
  2. but really, for a $70K+++ car, would supporting industry-standard playlist files be too much to ask?
  3. And voice search for USB media which we've all tagged perfectly with industry standard methods ???

I think that's a great idea.

I have been using a USB without any issues not mentioned here for the last couple years, with hundreds of flac albums. Today I loaded up a few albums onto the USB, and the Tesla M3 is cutting off the first second or two of these new album. My old music is unaffected. Anyone have experience with this?

I have been using a USB without any issues not mentioned here for the last couple years, with hundreds of flac albums. Today I loaded up a few albums onto the USB, and the Tesla M3 is cutting off the first second or two of these new album. My old music is unaffected. Anyone have experience with this?
A long shot. At one time it seemed you needed to change the name of the folder the music was placed into (root) in order to get it to refresh. My experience 6 months ago did not find that to still be true but it is an easy test.

@hiroshiy, I've played around with this quite a while this morning. Here's what I found:
  • Just for clarity, let's first remember, Tesla's MP doesn't use ALBUMARTIST as it should. It uses ARTIST instead. So, it's "my" dBpoweramp conversion settings that are really copying your source ALBUMARTIST tag data into ARTIST for use with MP. ;)
    • NOTE: While my settings strip out any tags that MP does not currently use (to perhaps save memory or just a bit of CID processing time), I do purposely leave ALBUMARTIST in the converted tracks on the hope that one day Tesla will fix their design flaw, and anyone that has used "my" conversion settings will have a USB device with tracks that will work properly on the first day that new firmware becomes available.
  • I made a number of test VBS tracks with "Unknown" in varying combinations as ARTIST, ALBUMARTIST, TITLE, and ALBUM. I tried both the original hand-tagged test files, as well as ran them through "my" dBpoweramp conversion process. My MS (2018.6.1) accepted and played them all without any problem, duplication or unexpected breaking-up of albums.
  • Looking back at my dBpoweramp DSP settings logic, I have always had it place the word "Unknown" into the converted version of either ARTIST or ALBUMARTIST if the tag is non-existent or blank in the source track. I revalidated this morning (dBpoweramp for Mac V16.2) that if that change is made by my processing logic, physical file naming will also show "Unknown" as it should.
  • I did find a couple obscure scenarios where my conversion logic could fail and end-up producing a bad physical filename or where ALBUMARTIST or ARTIST get out-of-sync with one another -- which could cause album splitting or other anomalies as you found. I won't bore you with detail, but non-existent tags or blanks in the source ALBUM, TITLE, TRACK (number), ALBUMARTIST, or ARTIST could be the culprit.
So, I can't explain why your MS isn't liking "Unknown" in the ARTIST tag, as mine seems to be OK with it. Regardless, I'm providing an updated "1a" version of my dBpoweramp settings that will hopefully resolve this for you in the future, and I've hopefully made the conversion logic more robust for everyone if critical tag data is missing in the source track. How to use the attached settings file is the same as I described upthread last November.

V1A CHANGE LOG:
  • CHANGE: If ARTIST or ALBUMARTIST is non-existent or blank in the source version of any track, "Various Artists" (in lieu of "Unknown") is now inserted in the converted track tag and used for any file naming purposes.
  • ADDED: If ALBUM or TITLE is non-existent or blank in the source version of any track, "Not Specified" will be inserted in the converted track tag and used for any file naming purposes.
  • ADDED: If TRACK (number) is non-existent or blank in the source version of any track, "1" will be inserted in the converted track tag and used for any file naming purposes.
  • CHANGE: I restructured some of the DSP processing logic to ensure ALBUMARTIST & ARTIST are kept in-sync even better than before when exceptions are encountered in the source library
  • NOTE: Coding remains in place to handle if DISC (number) is non-existent or blank in the source version of any track, where a "1" is inserted in the converted track tag and used for any file naming purposes.
I know you've manually made changes to fix the problem you had, but hopefully this updated set of dBpoweramp DSP settings are a little more robust to fend-off future issues for us all. Let me know if you have problems with this new update. I've done testing with a few dozen test tracks that include a lot of exceptions, but not my full 7K set of tracks I run with in my MS, as that takes nearly 3 days on my quad core 4gHz iMac to complete, and I'm confident I have clean data in all the critical tags of my source library. ;) My best.
@BertL,
I still rely on your dspeffect file to convert my music library to Tesla USB music playback. I believe this is the latest version of the file.
Background: I rip CDs to FLAC files on Windows with dbpoweramp CD ripper.

In recent versions of Tesla software updates, I can't see any more album covers, even after converting with your dspeffect. Have you debugged this already?

@BertL,
I still rely on your dspeffect file to convert my music library to Tesla USB music playback. I believe this is the latest version of the file.
Background: I rip CDs to FLAC files on Windows with dbpoweramp CD ripper.

In recent versions of Tesla software updates, I can't see any more album covers, even after converting with your dspeffect. Have you debugged this already?
It's been a while since their music Drive software will allow you to see album covers almost irrespective of whether or not it's put into the MP3 metadata or whether there's a separate image file in the directory. Something is seriously wrong and this problem appeared after an update some months back

Reactions: hiroshiy
Sure, but it is still eMMC, and it stills wears out. And all of the cars probably share the same code base. So album art getting stripped out of one strips it out of all of them. (Unless they went to extra work to make it conditional.)
Well the ones that failed in the early versions of the Model S were regarded as defective in terms of their wear leveling, which no doubt is why they failed. Seems like we are cutting Tesla way too much slack here. Everybody else has been able to create a music system that can display album artwork. With all their putative software Talent this should be an easy lift for Tesla.

I doubt the album art code for streaming music is/was the same as for USB music...
Seems like one improbable speculation to support the prior equally improbable speculation. Are you seriously arguing that Tesla cannot develop an MMC that can display tiny thumbnail jpegs because it will wear out the MMC? And you're suggesting somehow that the streaming jpegs have a radically different load on the MMC than the tiny thumbnails that are in albums? Really? Do you stay up late making stuff up? Come on 🙄 Isn't it just highly probable that this is simply a gaff consistent with the overwhelming evidence that every time Tesla redoes their firmware - as the joke goes - they fix three problems and create at least one.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike