Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Configure 6 seater, but is there a reason to switch to 7 seater?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 3rd rows were originally reserved for my parents, but they will rarely visit us in the future. I keep the 3rd row because it is the reason to go for the X. And thus I want a 6 seater to make the 3rd row more comfortable. Though I might be the only one in the family who needs more leg room at the 3rd row.

6 seater is $1000 cheaper.

My wife originally chose 7 seater, because she feels that the an isolated seat at the 2nd row is too small. Then I said you will usually sit at the front seat.

Then she says when the kids sleeps sometimes they leaning towards the middle. If there are no middle seat, then they don't have support. I say that is not normal sleeping pose and they should adjust on their own.
And if anyone wants arm/hand support at the second row, we can simply put a beverage cooler in the middle.
Coleman Xtreme 120 Quart Cooler - Walmart.com
It can also support the inflatable air mattress. No middle seat really required.
Multi-functional In-Car Air Bed Set - Walmart.com

And in the future Evannex is going to make a real rear console for 6-seater. (maybe $750?)
The only thing that I cannot do is to fit seven people. Do I miss anything else?

I have one more hour to decide (change). Any opinion welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: hiroshiy
Unless you know 100 percent you are going to hold 7 people go with 6 seats.

You need the middle opening to make the people in back comfortable and allow long items like skis to be transported inside the MX.

It's just more crowded without that gap. Hard to explain but the 7 to 6 seat decision was made upon seeing the differences in person.

Reactions: calisnow
For some reason most focus on the 3rd row seats - how often do you think someone will be in it?

My vote is for 7 seater. Out of all posted concerns for 7-seater only 3 are valid (at least in my opinion):
  1. Second row middle seat blocks some visibility for the rear view mirror

2. Second row middle seat precludes from hauling long cargo as the second row does not fold flat

3. Third row will have less available leg room

But, I still got the 7-seater because:
  1. 6-seater config looks just "strange" with the absence of the middle seat in the second row. Having a console between the seat would make it so much more "complete"

2. There are no handles or armrests on the seats of the second row which makes seating in them kind of awkward when middle seat is missing

3. Most in favor of 6 seater assume someone in the 3-rd row, which is not the case for me

4. During many years of ownership of various 3 row SUVs, I only used 3rd row a handful of times, so I know that the third row will be folded flat 99% of the time

5. I do not plan to haul any long cargo, if I have to, I have wive's MB for that. For even bigger or longer cargo, I could rent a van from U-Haul or Home Depot for less than $30

6. With 7-seater 3-rd row leg room is smaller but still usable and I would still like to have an option to haul 7 if needed as opposed to 5-seater

7. Yes, middle seat of a 7-seater headroom is less than the neighboring seats, but I'm 6' and have just enough headroom when seat in the middle, it's very comfortable and roomy enough

8. 7-seater over 5-seater because 7-seater seats are much nices than the 5 seater bench and

9. The multi-compartment multi-level config of the 5-seater storage is strange but I guess would be beneficial for those needed the space; not me, I dont need that

10. 5-seater config is not fully thought out, in my opinion. I think as the time goes by, there will be pretty significant changes to the cargo area to make the configuration more useable and "whole".

11. Owning big SUVs for the past 10-15 years I'm used to using side mirrors 99% of the time, so rearview mirror poor visibility is an ok compromise for me

Reactions: arijaycomet
For some reason most focus on the 3rd row seats - how often do you think someone will be in it?

My vote is for 7 seater. Out of all posted concerns for 7-seater only 3 are valid (at least in my opinion):
  1. Second row middle seat blocks some visibility for the rear view mirror

2. Second row middle seat precludes from hauling long cargo as the second row does not fold flat

3. Third row will have less available leg room

But, I still got the 7-seater because:
  1. 6-seater config looks just "strange" with the absence of the middle seat in the second row. Having a console between the seat would make it so much more "complete"

2. There are no handles or armrests on the seats of the second row which makes seating in them kind of awkward when middle seat is missing

3. Most in favor of 6 seater assume someone in the 3-rd row, which is not the case for me

4. During many years of ownership of various 3 row SUVs, I only used 3rd row a handful of times, so I know that the third row will be folded flat 99% of the time

5. I do not plan to haul any long cargo, if I have to, I have wive's MB for that. For even bigger or longer cargo, I could rent a van from U-Haul or Home Depot for less than $30

6. With 7-seater 3-rd row leg room is smaller but still usable and I would still like to have an option to haul 7 if needed as opposed to 5-seater

7. Yes, middle seat of a 7-seater headroom is less than the neighboring seats, but I'm 6' and have just enough headroom when seat in the middle, it's very comfortable and roomy enough

8. 7-seater over 5-seater because 7-seater seats are much nices than the 5 seater bench and

9. The multi-compartment multi-level config of the 5-seater storage is strange but I guess would be beneficial for those needed the space; not me, I dont need that

10. 5-seater config is not fully thought out, in my opinion. I think as the time goes by, there will be pretty significant changes to the cargo area to make the configuration more useable and "whole".

11. Owning big SUVs for the past 10-15 years I'm used to using side mirrors 99% of the time, so rearview mirror poor visibility is an ok compromise for me

Someone has massive buyers remorse and doubling down on justifying their incorrect decision. ;)

You are way underplaying the 6-seat benefits. If you could REALLY seat 7 people, more people would go for that option.

And I don't have a wife with a MB. And I don't want to rent a home depot truck or uhaul just to haul some skis, baseball bats, trips to IKEA, etc.

Last edited:
I like the 6 seater we have. The only thing odd about it is the seats are a little narrow in 2nd row and don't have armrest. It makes it much more comfortable/possible for most to sit in 3rd row though - 7 seater 3rd row feels so cramped when was in it like you couldn't escape unless you wait on those slow electronic seats to move forward - not good.

I have had a six seater Model X P90D for a year and love it. When we go on trips we put the cooler in the middle and can easily reach it from the front. We have two dogs who sit with their seat belt in the two second row seats. On the rare occasion when we have had six people everyone was comfortable.

We are getting a new Model X P100D and we have ordered it with the same configuration. I have a fiend who has a 7-seater but after riding in my car wishes he had gotten a six seated.

I have had a six seater Model X P90D for a year and love it. When we go on trips we put the cooler in the middle and can easily reach it from the front. We have two dogs who sit with their seat belt in the two second row seats. On the rare occasion when we have had six people everyone was comfortable.

We are getting a new Model X P100D and we have ordered it with the same configuration. I have a fiend who has a 7-seater but after riding in my car wishes he had gotten a six seated.

Do you ever find that the isolated seats on the second row any uncomfortable because unsupported or had no place to put your hands?

What size is the cooler you get? I want to buy one, too.
Dimensions, quart number, or web page are all fine. Thanks.

Last edited:
What I wish Tesla WOULD do is:

7 seat configuration where each seat can fold flat independently. Throw in a HUD as well.

And throw in a software 120KW battery.

Our current X values would plummet faster than Sears stock valuation.

Reactions: number12
My distribution of carrying passengers is probably 70%ish 4 people, 25%ish 5 people and maybe 2% >5 so the 3rd row would only be used around 1 in 50 group trips, but it would get used. In the meantime I am way more likely to have 5 and among those 5 I am nearly 100% likely to have someone who is under 5'5" who would find the center seat perfectly reasonable. Note that I am just under 5'10" and can sit in the center seat reasonably, though my hair does just brush the roof. I really don't see it as useless as many people make it out to be.

The tipping point for me is that 5 passengers in a 6 seater means that someone has to be in a row by themself, but that occupant count happens a lot more for me than the >5 case. When I have 6 I'm guessing they will sort themselves 2:2:2 and leave the center seat open, but with 5 I expect them to opt for 2:3:0 and enjoy that more than 2:2:1 even if there is a gap in the second row to facilitate conversation.

Also, when I have 4, the rear seat passengers are usually looking to hold on to something and there are no grab handles in the X so a nice cushy seat between them to lean on will make them far more comfortable. ;)

Finally, the 3rd row is right on top of (perhaps even slightly behind) the rear wheels and the ride is always bouncier over wheels than between them, so I'd prefer not to have to put someone in that position to carry 5 people and reserve it for the rare >5 case.

What I wish Tesla WOULD do is:

7 seat configuration where each seat can fold flat independently. Throw in a HUD as well.

And throw in a software 120KW battery.

Our current X values would plummet faster than Sears stock valuation.
A couple of ideas that would add a lot of utility with much less need for re-engineering the basic safety mechanisms would be:

• Center headrest retraction
  • Fold down cushion in back of center seat providing arm rests for outer 2 second row seats
  • "Ski sack" storage on center seat - flip down the cushion, remove access panel, and allow a long object to poke through it, complete with a bag to prevent getting crud on the front cabin upholstery.

None of that requires a redesign of the mounts and the basic frame of the center seat remains intact for crash safety. It would provide much of the visibility and storage value of the 6 seater while adding the much requested second row arm rests. All of those mechanisms are available on various existing cars so there are no new wheels to be invented here.

Note that Elon's car at the reveal event had the second option above (fold down cushion for arm rests), but that detail never seemed to make it to production. :(

A couple of ideas that would add a lot of utility with much less need for re-engineering the basic safety mechanisms would be:

• Center headrest retraction
  • Fold down cushion in back of center seat providing arm rests for outer 2 second row seats
  • "Ski sack" storage on center seat - flip down the cushion, remove access panel, and allow a long object to poke through it, complete with a bag to prevent getting crud on the front cabin upholstery.

None of that requires a redesign of the mounts and the basic frame of the center seat remains intact for crash safety. It would provide much of the visibility and storage value of the 6 seater while adding the much requested second row arm rests. All of those mechanisms are available on various existing cars so there are no new wheels to be invented here.

Note that Elon's car at the reveal event had the second option above (fold down cushion for arm rests), but that detail never seemed to make it to production. :(

I wonder if Dodge Grand Caravan stow n go style seats would be possible. Those things are the ultimate in van utility.

I wonder if Dodge Grand Caravan stow n go style seats would be possible. Those things are the ultimate in van utility.

I don't see how... They stow into cavities in the floor - which would have to occupy the same space that the battery pack is in. FCA gave up the Stow and Go to make the Pacifica Hybrid work - the Hybrid has removable captain's chairs instead (which reviewers actually say are more comfortable than the stow and go versions in the rest of the line.)

My distribution of carrying passengers is probably 70%ish 4 people, 25%ish 5 people and maybe 2% >5 so the 3rd row would only be used around 1 in 50 group trips, but it would get used. In the meantime I am way more likely to have 5 and among those 5 I am nearly 100% likely to have someone who is under 5'5" who would find the center seat perfectly reasonable. Note that I am just under 5'10" and can sit in the center seat reasonably, though my hair does just brush the roof. I really don't see it as useless as many people make it out to be.

The tipping point for me is that 5 passengers in a 6 seater means that someone has to be in a row by themself, but that occupant count happens a lot more for me than the >5 case. When I have 6 I'm guessing they will sort themselves 2:2:2 and leave the center seat open, but with 5 I expect them to opt for 2:3:0 and enjoy that more than 2:2:1 even if there is a gap in the second row to facilitate conversation.

Also, when I have 4, the rear seat passengers are usually looking to hold on to something and there are no grab handles in the X so a nice cushy seat between them to lean on will make them far more comfortable. ;)

Finally, the 3rd row is right on top of (perhaps even slightly behind) the rear wheels and the ride is always bouncier over wheels than between them, so I'd prefer not to have to put someone in that position to carry 5 people and reserve it for the rare >5 case.
People have all their reasons to justify their decisions on 6 seaters. I have stopped making comments on these threads as people making 100k purchases can't decide what they want that best fit their OWN needs.