Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connected Solutions Real-World Experiences (MA - National Grid / EverSource)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone

I was hoping that folks in Massachusetts could share their real-world experiences with Connected Solutions so far this year.

Asking because my mom lives in SE MA and has EverSource - her experience so far this year has been a bit disappointing. She's had overwhelming 3-hr events (18/20) with EverSource calling events almost every weekday for the last 3 weeks even when it was cool weather and/or cloudy out. This has resulted in only a 6.6 average kW discharge for the season which is a good deal lower than the relatively conservative estimates I'd made. Perhaps my estimates were too optimistic but also perhaps it has something to do with my estimates being based on National Grid events, as opposed to EverSource. Of course, they were also based on last summer so there's that possibility too.

So... could anyone share how their events are so far this year? I live in Bellingham and have National Grid - anyone out this way? I ask predominantly because I was counting on CS as a major offset to the cost of the PWs and this is weakening that offset.

Many thanks in advance!

Had my second discharge yesterday which worked correctly. However, this morning instead of 100% solar going to the battery, it's splitting solar to power the house. It used to divert 100% of the solar to my self powered setting of 75%.
After reading this I checked my setup and Im seeing the same thing, even after I bumped up reserve to 100%. Really strange.

EDIT. It’s probably because I left the system in self-powered mode. The description says “ charge PV with excess power during the day”…

Upvote 0
I believe connected solutions is supposed to override user config if you are enrolled. (Unless you force it off grid) It should direct all solar power to the battery and pull from the grid for house load during the day until the battery is charged and then dump the battery at full power to the grid during the demand response time.

Upvote 0
I believe connected solutions is supposed to override user config if you are enrolled. (Unless you force it off grid) It should direct all solar power to the battery and pull from the grid for house load during the day until the battery is charged and then dump the battery at full power to the grid during the demand response time.
It looks like we have some variations of this behavior this year. What you describe is how system was working last year - on event days. What I described above was happening today ( not an event day).

What confuse me personally - for 2 times already I saw the "Grid Services" banner early in AM. Then few hours later it disappeared and I assumed (and even posted about it ) that event is cancelled. Then 5 pm is coming and event is ON. wtf

Upvote 0
It looks like we have some variations of this behavior this year. What you describe is how system was working last year - on event days. What I described above was happening today ( not an event day).

What confuse me personally - for 2 times already I saw the "Grid Services" banner early in AM. Then few hours later it disappeared and I assumed (and even posted about it ) that event is cancelled. Then 5 pm is coming and event is ON. wtf
Yeah the banner is only showing in the app when the Powerwalls are doing something like charging for the event in the morning and again in the evening when discharging. Once they are full and waiting for the discharge the banner goes away. It is a bit confusing as like you said you don’t know if the event is cancelled until it either starts or doesn’t that evening. Seems like they should just leave the banner on all day during event days.

Upvote 0
Yeah the banner is only showing in the app when the Powerwalls are doing something like charging for the event in the morning and again in the evening when discharging. Once they are full and waiting for the discharge the banner goes away. It is a bit confusing as like you said you don’t know if the event is cancelled until it either starts or doesn’t that evening. Seems like they should just leave the banner on all day during event days.
Im pretty sure that the banner goes away BEFORE the PWS are fully charged. I forgot to check after 9 am but later I saw 95% and no banner. Wonder if there is a place where you can send app feedback or suggestions. The app is underwhelming at least .

Upvote 0
So do folks think that the event mess-ups earlier will adversely affect our incentives?

My mom's had two 2-hr events so far, great average kW on those but the two earlier ones just kill her incentive

1657474420936.png

Upvote 0
So do folks think that the event mess-ups earlier will adversely affect our incentives?

My mom's had two 2-hr events so far, great average kW on those but the two earlier ones just kill her incentive
Good idea to track these... My first two "oops" events fared a bit better than yours so far. Right now, I'm looking at a ~$300 delta from the screwup, though I expect that to drop as we have more events and the problem ones are weighted less... My hope is that the impact is minimal after the season is done and/or Tesla is able to "throw out" the improperly executed events from the dataset. I guess we'll see though!

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 11.37.16 PM.png

Upvote 0
For what it’s worth, these two hour events at a higher discharge rate will pay better than the 3 hour events at a lower rate that were typical last summer. For my 3 PWs, last year was almost entirely 10 kW events vs the recent 15kW events.
Last year was mostly two hour events for me in Rhode Island but they almost always started at 4. The last two have started at 5-7.

Upvote 0
I just love days where we have a ConnectedSolutions day while also having severe thunderstorms rolling across the state.View attachment 827906
Last year I lost power twice after an event and had to limp on low power for the night to not run out of juice. Another day was even worse when I lost power BEFORE an event during one of these storms and when the power came in it was DURING an event towards the end and it was only able to dump a few kwhr into the grid while the battery was still low from losing power. I almost quit the program that day.

Upvote 0