Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity: service plan/upgradability/speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you even go to sleep?

And from what I've heard, no app for a bit

I slept but woke up early on my own. Just excited it's finally here. Have lots of test rides to give today.

I want the remote cooling feature by next summer at least so hope it's done by then. I also think they'll have to announce the connectivity plan prices soon since the production cars will be rolling off the line soon too.

Does anyone know if it matters which mobile hotspot is used the car? Can I use a Verizon Wireless Mobile Hotspot or does it have to be one from AT&T or Tesla? I have an iPhone with AT&T coverage with unlimited data, however, i can not use my plan as a hotspot and if I change plans I lose my unlimited data on my phone. I also have an iPad which is on the Verizon network so I was hoping to share data between my iPad and the car. I really do not want to have to buy data from three different companies if I don't have to.

Angelia

Does anyone know if it matters which mobile hotspot is used the car? Can I use a Verizon Wireless Mobile Hotspot or does it have to be one from AT&T or Tesla? I have an iPhone with AT&T coverage with unlimited data, however, i can not use my plan as a hotspot and if I change plans I lose my unlimited data on my phone. I also have an iPad which is on the Verizon network so I was hoping to share data between my iPad and the car. I really do not want to have to buy data from three different companies if I don't have to.
It won't care. Once the wi-fi features are enabled the car will be able to join whatever hotspot you want.

It would help Tesla's customer relationships if they announced that the maintenance plan includes connectivity at no extra charge while covered by the plan.

Agreed. The $600 a year for maintenance was tolerable after taking into account the multi-year service discount. But, anything more than $10 or $15 a month for connectivity would be absurd in my book. I'm overly connected already. I don't use Google or Apple products either. I probably would let my Sig subscription run out and not renew if it were more than just a few bucks.

BTW...has anyone seen the car's privacy policy yet?

If I do decide to pay for a Tesla connectivity plan, it'll only be after they have 4G LTE going.

Experiencing it with the new iPhone now - ATT, blazing speeds at 20+ Mbps download, 7+ Mbps upload, works inside big parking structures, etc., faster than my home broadband at times! - I can't ever see going back to 3G which'll look even more embarrassingly slow on that big screen.

If I do decide to pay for a Tesla connectivity plan, it'll only be after they have 4G LTE going.

Experiencing it with the new iPhone now - ATT, blazing speeds at 20+ Mbps download, 7+ Mbps upload, works inside big parking structures, etc., faster than my home broadband at times! - I can't ever see going back to 3G which'll look even more embarrassingly slow on that big screen.

I agree. Here in Michigan, AT&T's coverage is great, and I receive LTE speeds of 18+Mbps Down and 17+Mbps UP. What was most shocking is AT&T allowed me to keep my iPhone's grandfathered unlimited data plan at no additional fee. I was convinced switching from 3G to LTE would come at a price tag. This has given me hope that, since AT&T is the provider, the LTE in the Model S won't be exorbitant (again, it's my hope).

Just to revive this thread a bit and to speculate on cost...

Is there any automobile out there that offers anything similar to what the Model S offers in terms of internet connectivity? I was thinking that the closest I could muster was the Mercedes mbrace features. My understanding is that a link to your cell phone is required. Presently offered for $280/y for new cars.

Obviously the MS has its own 3G service, so the MB fee of $280/y is on top of the cell phone service, I assume. Any speculation on an announcement of cost for the MS?

Audi has began putting in connectivity in their cars. Limited functionality, but it's there. After the trial, it's $30/month to T-Mobile IIRC. We had a sim card we no longer used which was still active, and we were able to pop it in and use the data that way.

I talked to someone recently about this. Right now all the data is on Tesla's plan, 'Free 3G for Sigs'. He seemed to think that Tesla will offer connectivity themselves, through the same data route they are using now. They want to be able to 'talk' to every car they make so they are putting in a data module in every car anyway.

So instead of putting in a second connectivity system they will just charge you directly to use their data system. Because they want their system to remain in place I imagine there is a non-user serviceable SIM card in there somewhere as it is on a GSM network (ATT or TMobile in the USA).

He said that Tesla has not figured this out yet but I imagine it will be easier and cheaper (for everybody) if Tesla goes this route. He seemed to agree. I couldn't get out of him if there were two separate GSM antennas for two separate data streams. I would think this would be necessary if we get our own data plan, as I doubt ATT or TMobile would be willing to split billing on a single SIM to two different people.

I guess Tesla could move all of their data usage to 'your' plan if you decide to get connectivity, and just pay for their data on the people who forgo the data plan. But I am not sure that would go over very well.

with all the new shared data plans I have all my devices on 3g. ipads are $10/month which is a bargain!
I hope there is a way to either tether the car to my phone and/or to home when parked OR be able to add the car as another "tablet" device for 10/month

I have to say, I'm not happy with the connectivity in my car. As others have noted, the map tiles are fairly slow to load on the nav screen. I also get fairly frequent drop outs trying to stream audio. In fact the FM reception is pretty poor too compared to other cars I've had. I wonder if the car is too well shielded? I can sort of understand the aesthetic distaste for antennas, but if you can't make it work without them it seems a little too far gone.

I have to say, I'm not happy with the connectivity in my car. As others have noted, the map tiles are fairly slow to load on the nav screen. I also get fairly frequent drop outs trying to stream audio.

Is that "coverage" related rather than car?

In fact the FM reception is pretty poor too compared to other cars I've had. I wonder if the car is too well shielded?

Maybe, although that seems like a different issue to the connectivity one.