Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity: service plan/upgradability/speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know because when I'm on the ICC (fairly new toll road) it shows up fine on Google maps on the touchscreen, but the nav system doesn't know about the road yet and is constantly trying to recalculate while it shows me driving through fields on the dash display.

Hmm... the navigon database in your car needs updates already?! Wonder how updates (free for 7 years with the tech package) are delivered for this system though; USB drives? Not OTA for sure! Maybe, only during service visits?!

With general production starting up soon do you think they will have to announce data plans? I thought only sigs got free Internet? What happens if its not announced by the time the first p delivers? Also, hopefully they release the tethering update before then too.

Yeah this is getting interesting. I wonder if Tesla has so far been unable to find an acceptable data plan offering from a carrier?

HTML 5 (in itself not a final spec) has varying degrees of support from various browser implementations. So, the Tesla implementation in the Model S seeks to support HTML 5 in its entirety at some point but, as of today, it cannot apparently handle the video tag for instance, apart from probably other inadequacies.

HTML 5 (in itself not a final spec) has varying degrees of support from various browser implementations. So, the Tesla implementation in the Model S seeks to support HTML 5 in its entirety at some point but, as of today, it cannot apparently handle the video tag for instance, apart from probably other inadequacies.
So is my car compatible with freeways if it supports all speeds but 55mph?

I guess I care more strongly about terminology than some people. Either you're compliant (to some reasonable degree like 95%) with a formal and finished specification (REC+), or you're just playing with marketing terminology in grayscale.

Kind of like the 4G naming game.

So is my car compatible with freeways if it supports all speeds but 55mph?

I guess I care more strongly about terminology than some people. Either you're compliant (to some reasonable degree like 95%) with a formal and finished specification (REC+), or you're just playing with marketing terminology in grayscale.

Kind of like the 4G naming game.
Even the most-compliant browsers are <90% compliant; Firefox is 75%, and IE is only 64%. HTML5 has extended specs for many HTML elements, not just video. So, notionally, the Model S browser could be highly HTML5 compliant with all the non-video specs, but still have video disabled.

Even the most-compliant browsers are <90% compliant; Firefox is 75%, and IE is only 64%. HTML5 has extended specs for many HTML elements, not just video. So, notionally, the Model S browser could be highly HTML5 compliant with all the non-video specs, but still have video disabled.

You left out Chrome (the best browser), which last I checked had the highest percentage, and I believe is above 90%.

Internet Connection Options

I did a search and was unable to find an answer to this; sorry if it's already been asked:

Does the Model S allow for the use of a wifi hotspot as its internet connection over the default 3G connection?

The reason I ask is I'm guessing it's going to be more and more common for people to use their phones or tablets as hotspots in general opposed to paying for access per device.

I realize by doing so you wouldn't have access to the car while it was out of range of your phone or home network, but I'm guessing a lot of people would be ok with that (especially if they have better/faster access with their existing mobile provider).

WiFi connectivity is a Punch List item, i.e. something that has been promised by TM but not yet delivered.

There's a thread tracking this and other Punch List items (available to owners and reservation holders only) over on the official Tesla Motors forum:
Forum | Tesla Motors

Last edited:
The idea of wifi is great for more than the above listed reasons. This also allows you to connect your S to home wifi to ensure diagnostic connections and update downloads. I do not have wonderful 3G coverage in my garage and am looking forward to this update for those reasons.

How long before we get 4G Connectivity

With all of the 4G connectivity now available, it seems that Tesla should be able to negotiate a decent plan option for Model S owners. 3G is okay when in a pinch for information, but for smooth/fast browsing it sure would be nice to have 4G at your fingertips.

My guess would be MY2014 cars would be the earliest to get 4G hardware. With all of Tesla's projects, and limited staff and budget, it could be later. Hopefully the rangers can retrofit earlier cars for a price. Tesla has been much better at offering upgrades for the Roadster than the incumbent automakers.

GSP

I had thought that the hardware was already capable of 4G but only 3G was implemented (perhaps because of cost).

I think an earlier post by PureAmps revealed that the chipset was 3G; it would be nice if the Model S could capture higher throughput than what it seems to be getting currently, and this seems possible with the current chipset.

What I am interested in knowing now is how much connectivity will cost. Regular production models will be delivered soon, and as I understand it, those will not be getting the year of free data. So, pricing should be coming out hopefully soon as well.

In the Consumer Reports review, they write this

A permanent 3G cellular connection allows Tesla to continually update software, and even add controls, on the fly. For example, the company plans to push out 4G software soon, and it has added a button to install a second regenerative brake setting for drivers who don't like it so aggressive.

Can they really update it with software? I thought someone looked at the chip they thought was being used in the Model S at least and said that wasn't possible.

Can they really update it with software? I thought someone looked at the chip they thought was being used in the Model S at least and said that wasn't possible.

I've heard that the chip is "4G" but they only have negotiated with the carriers for 3G. I suspect the carriers want $100/month for 4G or some similar number. I don't know that there has been an official answer.

I've heard that the chip is "4G" but they only have negotiated with the carriers for 3G. I suspect the carriers want $100/month for 4G or some similar number. I don't know that there has been an official answer.

That makes more sense to me. Maybe in a few years those contracts will be more reasonable for Tesla and they'll push the update out then.