Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Plaid...but do you think it's "worth it"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading through the S board for guidance on which S is the best option, the following conclusion can be reached:

Opinion Group 1: buy pre-owned because there is no depreciation and you will get one of the best cars ever made;

Opinion Group 2: buy LR because it has more power than you will ever need;

Opinion Group 3: buy Plaid because it’s an incredible value over the LR (3 ceramic coated motors) and you will have the best production car, bar none.

All three groupings are certainly accurate.

I took middle ground and placed an order for a new LR, after putting money on a pre-owned LR, mostly due to incentives, warranty, and buying into Elon’s vision (H4 sans USS).

But I must admit, if my 6/29 delivery is pushed back again, I’ll jump on the Plaid currently listed within my local SC inventory.

It’s a win/win.

at this point lot of this is not truly "logical" or "worth it"...it's pure emotion and "lust" as one poster put it eloquently.

Ding, ding, bingo! If you can fully embrace this then you will head straight for the Plaid. Nobody in their right mind drops $100k on a car, only people who are emotionally-involved with deep pockets do dumb stuff like that. It was Jeremy Clarkson who once said "you buy cars like this with your heart, not your head". The CEO of Lamborghini once said "we don't sell a car, we sell a dream"... they're both right.

Take it from me, I'm a brand new EV owner of just about 4 months and had wanted to go straight to Plaid (strongly considered Taycan) but was afraid that if I didn't like EVs, it would be harder to unload it so I ended up buying a 2015 P85D instead; it was cheaper, had 15k miles at the time of purchase, and was still stupid fast enough. I still get dizzy-headaches whenever I launch it in insane mode. I've yet to do it in insane+ mode because I fear my head hurting more thereafter. I'm truly afraid I will pass out in the Plaid with cheetah mode on, lols.

For me, the acceleration never gets old. Even the acceleration to 35mph or 45 mph on regular streets is super fun. I'm a total torque-junkie so EVs are my ultimate drugs and continues to hold true for me to this day.

I can't speak for others but ultimately it's about having the "option" available whenever you want it. That option is stupid fast, blinding acceleration. Beating just about anything off the line, passing semis/trucks/cars on the highway with ease, being silent but deadly, and the respect from fellow car drivers and enthusiasts (trust me, everyone who knows what you got will approach cautiously).

That's my 2 cents. A Model S won't hold a candle to an Audi S8 in build quality or to a Nissan GTR in wow factor or to a Lamborghini Huracan in infamy but I gurantee you that you will be smiling when you floor it no matter how fast you're already going.

If you can afford a Plaid, go for it, you won't be disappointed. Besides, if you buy it and it's not all that, you can just turn around and sell it but you won't know unless you own one. Good luck, share with us when you have that key card in your wallet.

Ding, ding, bingo! If you can fully embrace this then you will head straight for the Plaid. Nobody in their right mind drops $100k on a car, only people who are emotionally-involved with deep pockets do dumb stuff like that. It was Jeremy Clarkson who once said "you buy cars like this with your heart, not your head". The CEO of Lamborghini once said "we don't sell a car, we sell a dream"... they're both right.

Take it from me, I'm a brand new EV owner of just about 4 months and had wanted to go straight to Plaid (strongly considered Taycan) but was afraid that if I didn't like EVs, it would be harder to unload it so I ended up buying a 2015 P85D instead; it was cheaper, had 15k miles at the time of purchase, and was still stupid fast enough. I still get dizzy-headaches whenever I launch it in insane mode. I've yet to do it in insane+ mode because I fear my head hurting more thereafter. I'm truly afraid I will pass out in the Plaid with cheetah mode on, lols.

For me, the acceleration never gets old. Even the acceleration to 35mph or 45 mph on regular streets is super fun. I'm a total torque-junkie so EVs are my ultimate drugs and continues to hold true for me to this day.

I can't speak for others but ultimately it's about having the "option" available whenever you want it. That option is stupid fast, blinding acceleration. Beating just about anything off the line, passing semis/trucks/cars on the highway with ease, being silent but deadly, and the respect from fellow car drivers and enthusiasts (trust me, everyone who knows what you got will approach cautiously).

That's my 2 cents. A Model S won't hold a candle to an Audi S8 in build quality or to a Nissan GTR in wow factor or to a Lamborghini Huracan in infamy but I gurantee you that you will be smiling when you floor it no matter how fast you're already going.

If you can afford a Plaid, go for it, you won't be disappointed. Besides, if you buy it and it's not all that, you can just turn around and sell it but you won't know unless you own one. Good luck, share with us when you have that key card in your wallet.

Very very well said and I 100% agree.

Will keep you all updated on this. 🤔

I am mildly sore about my Plaid purchase because I bought brand new at close to peak pricing and didn't anticipate that Tesla would do everything in their power to tank values even more than they usually do. A purchase of a remotely new S/X has to accept that they may as well light their money on fire.

Aside from that it is the best daily driver I have ever had and it literally has no equal on sale today at any price when taking the performance and practicality into consideration. The Plaid question always comes down to $$$. If money isn't an issue, especially now that they are so cheap, there is no reason to get a LR. If you need to save some money and don't care about the performance as much, a LR is a great car.

Reactions: unk45
You're not kidding. How about a white Plaid with 21" wheels, cream interior and less than a year old for a hammer price of $75k!
What was that, a $130K car a year ago?

Even more than that. A year ago, a 2022 MS Plaid in pearl white with cream interior, 21" Arachnid wheels would've retailed for just under $144k and that’s without the modifications done by the owner. $75k is practically half price!

• Informative
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Go try an LR and put it in Insane mode is all I can say. Mine has been in Insane since I got her. After 1.5 years of ownership I can honestly say I never wished for more power.
This. I would say that unless you are really planning on taking it to the track, the Plaid is more pure emotion. I rented a refresh LR, used Insane mode and also could not think of needing more power.

Having said that...the carbon fiber touches (spoiler and interior trim) is nicer on the plaid than (no spoiler) on the LR and the wood grain on the LR.

The extra performance would be lost on me. So as strange as it may seem, to ME, the actual question is.... "is the carbon fiber of the plaid worth the extra cost over the LR?". I decided to get the LR....but I will be adding the spoiler. I'll "live" with the wood grain interior. :)

Reactions: RyanC1384
Even more than that. A year ago, a 2022 MS Plaid in pearl white with cream interior, 21" Arachnid wheels would've retailed for just under $144k and that’s without the modifications done by the owner. $75k is practically half price!

Imagine that amount of depreciation in less than a year of ownership! Wow! I thought I had it rough with my LR that I bought at the end of 2022 with some good discounts, but it still went even lower.

Last edited:
I own a Plaid now and a MYP. Before buying the Plaid I had test drove a Raven MS Long Range Plus and Performance w/ Ludicrous Mode. They were good, the interiors in my opinion were a bit dated. The performance MS seemed to run out of steam at higher speeds like the M3P/MYP. I then test drove a refresh MS LR, top end was great but from a dig it was "okay" by Tesla standards (still faster than most ICE). Finally I was able to experience a ride along in a Plaid (they did not allow test drive), my mind was re-arranged from all speeds. It seemed to just never run out of steam anywhere and everywhere. I was sold. Is the limitless speed necessary? No. Is it worth the premium? That's up to you, to me it totally is but I also bought used.

Reactions: Joey D
Finally I was able to experience a ride along in a Plaid (they did not allow test drive), my mind was re-arranged from all speeds.

In my experience, it feels faster as a front passenger than as the driver (in any car). Probably being in control as the driver plus holding the wheel makes it feel a little less "scary".

I'm not saying the plaid isn't faster, obviously it is... but being a passenger instead of the driver may have also been a significant factor.

Reactions: tesluv108
That Model S plaid that sold on the wholesale auction was purchased as a flip by a dealer. Will sell for more when it is retailed.

It had double the normal miles for a one year car (19,000) had repainted wheels and worn tires. Original tires changed out at 10,000 miles so the original owner obviously beat on it a bit.It did not have FSD, but only basic Autopilot technology. A new one (7 miles) is selling for new on Tesla.com for $104,000. Comes with free supercharging for 3 years and all the latest updates. A good deal, but not really amazing.

Does anyone have track mode on a 2023 MSLR?
I do, so I’m wondering how or why.
I picked up my new MSLR from SC today at 3:30.
Pulled over on way home to fiddle with settings.
Found option to engage Track Mode and engaged.
Process directed me to wait while it prepares for launch.
I tried to turn it off because I was not on roads with room to test it out but I could not figure out how to disengage so I drove home, fast.

I’ve been trying to figure out why I have track mode. Checked owners manual which confirms it’s available only in Plaid.

My build date is 6/23, so it’s built less than 30 days ago.

Here is photo of the screen:
95829AB0-FA79-4558-85D4-ED426B540EA6.png
28AE0810-4CA3-43F0-B15E-F859E94E3E02.png

In my experience, it feels faster as a front passenger than as the driver (in any car). Probably being in control as the driver plus holding the wheel makes it feel a little less "scary".

I'm not saying the plaid isn't faster, obviously it is... but being a passenger instead of the driver may have also been a significant factor.
Yes but I own a Plaid now that I drive and can confirm the feeling as a passenger is even more realized as a driver. Anyone who owns a Plaid could've opted for a LR. Not everyone has driven both. I have driven both and made my choice--that's just my . 02

Reactions: Yelobird
to summarize replies so far: everyone with a Plaid would buy it again, folks without a Plaid are very happy with their cars, but lack experience with a Plaid.

I used to have a vintage P85, got a P100DL and I will always get the top performance model for every car I buy moving forward. I understand why folks get the extra performance. I recommend the same to all my friends too. Basically tell them to save their money and don't buy Autopilot or FSD, and use it towards the performance model (or Plaid for the X/S)

Reactions: RyanC1384