Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering Upgrading my 2018 LR AWD - Would you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings -

My 2018 LR RWD M3 is working fine. About 15K miles driven in just about a year. Some build quality issues, nothing major. Lately I've been bothered a bit by road noise, likely a combination of 15K miles on the tires, and filling the tires to 42-44 PSI after finding the tire pressure a bit low.

Since I bought my car last year prices are dramatically lower, and M3 choices are greater. My local Tesla store has the Stealth Performance in stock (mostly blue or gray), including the 19" wheels (which I have on my car). The "out the door" price is a bit over $55K for the 19" wheel car. I haven't gotten a trade in value yet, but I expect it to be pretty low ($35K?). In a private sale I can likely do better, but not sure how much better.

I like the drive of my car, and really don't need AWD (live in SE USA), but it's intriguing to consider whether or not the upgrade is worth it. I've owned some very nice sports cars in my life, but as a senior citizen the "need for speed" has been replaced for a desire for quiet and comfort. That leads me to also consider the Model S, but with the rumors of an update in 2020 I'm not sure if that's a good solution. On the other hand the S is 80K with AWD and a 370 mile range, along with an air suspension ride. When I bought my my M3 last year a similarly equipped S was significantly more expensive.

Finally, as we all know, Tesla dropped the price of all their cars as the tax credits were about to drop. They may do something similar again, but since the credit is down to $1875, I'm not sure that there will be much change in pricing.

So, what would you suggest? Take a step up and go for the more "senior citizen" comfort of the S, indulge whatever remaining illusion of youth I have and get the Stealth Performance M3, or stay pat and see what changes may develop over the 2020-2021 timeframe. A new Model Y, new battery packs, some good deals on a used Tesla - all are likely as people start making trade in decisions to get the newest V3 controller, or just want something new.

Absolutely not. Just look at Model S, every 1-2 years there's a ton of new features and options. You'll see it in features but also stuff like battery size.

Right now the model 3 does have a few minor enhancements but its too similar to your existing car. If you really want to upgrade, give it at least another year.

I vote for keeping the car you have now and seeing how the chips fall in 2 or 3 years. Yes, you might get more than that in a private sale but they can also turn in a major PIA. Test drive the Y next year, see what happens with the S and stand pat for now.

...Take a step up and go for the more "senior citizen" comfort of the S, indulge whatever remaining illusion of youth I have and get the Stealth Performance M3, or stay pat and see what changes may develop over the 2020-2021...

I take it that you are not interested in Tesla CyberTruck coming on 11/21/2019?

Tesla is like a cell phone. You can still work with an old cell phone or you can keep up the trend by getting a new on every now and then.

If you want quiet and comfort go for the S. The 3P stealth will have the same ride as your car which is definitely not as smooth. The 3 drives sportier and the S more luxurious. No one knows when updates will occur but they surely will. Up to you to take that risk.

• Helpful
Reactions: boriszima
Thanks to all for the comments - much appreciated. You've given me a strong argument for "standing pat". I'm still working on it.

By the way I'm in Raleigh, NC and the local store has SEVERAL Stealth Performance cars. If you're interested in one I suggest you contact them and see what you can arrange. As of today they had a few White, several Blue and Gray. Most had the 19" wheels. I was quoted just over $55K out the door for a White Stealth, including 19" wheels and all NC taxes/fees (3% sales tax, dealer prep/delivery, NC registration). Compared to the M3 AWD the upcharge for the Stealth is very reasonable - $2K with 18" wheels (not sure if they have any left), about $3K with the 19" wheels (I have them on the LR and think they are well worth the extra cost - Edmunds did a review and found that they add a LOT of extra performance - a great match for the higher power electric motors of the Stealth).

These cars DON'T show up on an inventory search. CALL for more info:

Raleigh Tesla
8831 Westgate Park Drive Suite 102 Raleigh, NC 27617
Store
(919) 784-0493

Store Hours
Monday - Saturday 10:00am - 7:00pm
Sunday 12:00pm - 6:00pm

Feel free to PM me. Happy to help if I can.

If you do decide to keep your car then it is possible to quiet them down some.

I just installed one of the door seal kits on mine (including frunk and trunk) and it definitely quieted the car down some. Not drastically, but noticeably. Also the newer 3s have the rear trunk lid solid so blocking that off would make a definite reduction.

Then there is the route of sound deadening. Good thread on noise reduction on here.

I was briefly tempted but I’m waiting for something that’s actually better than my car in something besides acceleration.

a P3 is faster but not really worth the upgrade cost from my LR RWD because it doesn’t solve any of the other things I want to see improved.

I feel the S to be inferior for my uses but everyone is different.

Model Y will probably be my next car because of the hatchback. Hopefully by then they add better seats and a heated steering wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
You didn't really mention a reason that's compelling for you to get a new 3, honestly. And I think you'd be very lucky to get $35k on a trade-in, so this would be a costly swap in addition to dealing with all the little things that no longer come with the newer models (14-50 adapter, frunk mats, frunk bag hooks, door compartment lighting (allegedly), USB cables, Homelink, etc.).

You can address concerns you have much cheaper:
  • Get some new and known to be quiet tires
  • See if you can pay someone to do the double up on door seals to reduce noise
  • Throw some blankets or something in the trunk to reduce noise from there
  • Enjoy the fact you still have a very sporty car, especially given its weight!
People report AWD versions as a bit heavier on the steering wheel handling, which is counter to the comfort you are looking for.

I personally can't imagine switching cars at 15k miles if you're fairly happy with it, so I would personally suggest waiting to see what 2020/2021 brings (from all manufacturers, should be lots of EVs coming over the next couple years!).

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Well I'm not the right kind of owner to ask if you want to be convinced to keep yours; I had a January 18 build LR RWD and it was a pretty great car but I caved when presented with Stealth Performance and upgraded in Aug 2018. If money fell in my lap to afford the Roadster (and Tesla was actually building it) that would be the car I would trade this 3 in for, else nope.. keeping it for the foreseeable future.

Lencap, if money is not part of the consideration then I'd definitely consider a Taycan.

Yeah. If he wants to spend 2-3 times more on a smaller, heavier car that has garbage rear passenger room, and almost no cargo room compared to S.

If anyone is interested in Taycan, they'd be smart to wait for the 3 motor S in a year, especially since an order for Taycan today won't get you a car till then anyway.

F8pzLyy.jpg