Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told it would be somewhere around £400 for the LTE upgrade - evidently the price is the same regardless of whether they do it with the eMMC switch or as a separate job. How much they should charge is another matter.

I paid a whole lot less than that, I will say less than half of that (currency adjusted)
The service centre said that since there is a related service bulletin, they can complete the 3G to LTE upgrade at a reduced rate. This was done while the car was having the air bag recalled.
It is to Tesla's advantage for the car to connect; they want your data just as much as you want the car to connect for streaming etc. , so when the time comes for 3G to not function anymore, and if home wifi is not adequate, how will the car update (for security purposes as suggested in the bulletin)?

Attachments

• MC-10172384-9999.pdf
    193.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Thanks for that dark cloud it's helpful to know.

My car had the airbag recall work done while some other work was carried out some time ago but the LTE update was never mentioned/suggested.

I raised the question of updating to LTE with my local SC in connection with a request to have the eMMC updated - I asked if they could do the both jobs at the same time. My assumption was that if they had the screen out for the eMMC swap the 3G/LTE upgrade should be a pretty simple (and cheap) add-on.

The answer I got was that whilst they acknowledged my suggested approach made sense, they didn't price the jobs that way, so the cost of the LTE update would be the same if it was done with the eMMC swap or as a one-off. They even admitted the cost quoted would mean I was effectively paying twice for the same labour if the jobs were combined.

In the event, neither has happened as the CS actually cancelled my appointment because they 'wanted the prioritise the parts' for eMMCs which had actually failed. Told me to come back when it fails or sit on my hands for a couple of months. (Or of course I could have the MCU2 update right away if I wanted to part with £2,400).

Thanks for that dark cloud it's helpful to know.

My car had the airbag recall work done while some other work was carried out some time ago but the LTE update was never mentioned/suggested.

I raised the question of updating to LTE with my local SC in connection with a request to have the eMMC updated - I asked if they could do the both jobs at the same time. My assumption was that if they had the screen out for the eMMC swap the 3G/LTE upgrade should be a pretty simple (and cheap) add-on.

The answer I got was that whilst they acknowledged my suggested approach made sense, they didn't price the jobs that way, so the cost of the LTE update would be the same if it was done with the eMMC swap or as a one-off. They even admitted the cost quoted would mean I was effectively paying twice for the same labour if the jobs were combined.

In the event, neither has happened as the CS actually cancelled my appointment because they 'wanted the prioritise the parts' for eMMCs which had actually failed. Told me to come back when it fails or sit on my hands for a couple of months. (Or of course I could have the MCU2 update right away if I wanted to part with £2,400).
Policies seem to be all over the map. My (US) service center said the LTE upgrade was a flat fee of $500, and that they would swap the Tegra daughter card for parts only ($120), no labor. So I paid $620 for both.

Picked up my car this morning and now there is an LCD leak that wasn't there before. SC claims it was and my warranty expired last March. I had photos of the display but unfortunately, the area is black not white in the photo making it difficult to determine with 100% certainty. SC manager offered to cover $300 labor if I paid the $500 for the new display to keep my happy while claiming that daughter card replacement could not have caused the LCD leak and that the display was reaching end of its useful life. They also bent the brushed aluminum trim piece on the dash pad which they will now have to be replaced as well.

Attachments

• 20201008_100515.jpg
    20201008_100515.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Informative
So I just got back from my appointment. When I dropped it off I told them my history of my MCU and all its symptoms and the additional issues I had (posted above) since my appoint was made 2 weeks ago. They performed some diags and looked at the logs and said they didnt see any signs that my daughterboard would need to be replaced. SMH and a little upset.

They said they would clear the cache to optimize it and make it run smoother but it would take a while so they gave me a loaner to go get some lunch. I told them I had a mobile tech come out and clear my 2 GB of map tiles cache about a month ago and that didn't do anything to fix the problem since I had a worse issue afterwards (well duh, it's a dying chip, it isnt going to get better). They said they can do more things in the SC than a mobile tech could do but it would take a while but were suggesting the Infotainment upgrade if I planned to keep the car for a while. They called me about 2 hours later and they said that the cleanup or re-flash kept failing so it looks like my daughter board would need to be replaced even though the initial testing didnt find any reasons for it to be replaced and yet again recommended the MCU2 upgrade.

I asked what he thought about free Tegra DB (warranty) or the upgrade to MCU2 for $2.5k. He asked if I plan to keep the car for a long time, use supercharging a lot and want to be entertained while waiting or if I had AP2+ and therefor get the HW3 upgrade at the same time..... nothing was really making me pull the trigger on it (Since I don't SC a lot and have AP1) but then he made a good point that Elon is known to do crazy things at the end of the quarter for pricing and getting money so who knows what might happen at the end of Q4.

Long Story, short. MCU passed all the 'diags' and logs but when they went to optimize (re-flash?) it kept failing and now I have a appointment for new daughterboard in 10 days and i drove the car home. I am really leaning to MCU2 upgrade but $2.5k...ehhh..... (I'm cheap)

So I just got back from my appointment. When I dropped it off I told them my history of my MCU and all its symptoms and the additional issues I had (posted above) since my appoint was made 2 weeks ago. They performed some diags and looked at the logs and said they didnt see any signs that my daughterboard would need to be replaced. SMH and a little upset.

They said they would clear the cache to optimize it and make it run smoother but it would take a while so they gave me a loaner to go get some lunch. I told them I had a mobile tech come out and clear my 2 GB of map tiles cache about a month ago and that didn't do anything to fix the problem since I had a worse issue afterwards (well duh, it's a dying chip, it isnt going to get better). They said they can do more things in the SC than a mobile tech could do but it would take a while but were suggesting the Infotainment upgrade if I planned to keep the car for a while. They called me about 2 hours later and they said that the cleanup or re-flash kept failing so it looks like my daughter board would need to be replaced even though the initial testing didnt find any reasons for it to be replaced and yet again recommended the MCU2 upgrade.

I asked what he thought about free Tegra DB (warranty) or the upgrade to MCU2 for $2.5k. He asked if I plan to keep the car for a long time, use supercharging a lot and want to be entertained while waiting or if I had AP2+ and therefor get the HW3 upgrade at the same time..... nothing was really making me pull the trigger on it (Since I don't SC a lot and have AP1) but then he made a good point that Elon is known to do crazy things at the end of the quarter for pricing and getting money so who knows what might happen at the end of Q4.

Long Story, short. MCU passed all the 'diags' and logs but when they went to optimize (re-flash?) it kept failing and now I have a appointment for new daughterboard in 10 days and i drove the car home. I am really leaning to MCU2 upgrade but $2.5k...ehhh..... (I'm cheap)
I just had my daughter board replaced for $330. Even if I had AP1, I wouldn't upgrade to MCU2 as I enjoy my Sirius XM and AM radio. I don't need to watch Netflix or YouTube and like yourself, I have supercharged less than 6 times even though I have free lifetime charging. And I unless I decide to get a Taycan 4S, I plan to keep my P85+ until the batteries just give out. The sad part about my daughter card replacement is that the tech did something to cause the touchscreen to start leaking even though the SC manager denied the tech could have cause it. Because of the denial and my car being out of warranty since March, the SC manager offered to cover the $300 in labor but I would have to pay $500 for the new touchscreen. Since they bent the aluminum trim on my dash pad during the MCU removal, the SC will replace that at no charge

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
The sad part about my daughter card replacement is that the tech did something to cause the touchscreen to start leaking even though the SC manager denied the tech could have cause it.

Yeah, I saw that post/picture :( I quickly took a few 64 megapixel pictures of my car MCU and IC area before taking it into the shop but plan to take a few more before my next appointment.

I think I am going to ride out the new Tegra DB for the end of the year at least, if they give some Black Friday deal and make it $500 off I might do it just because I plan to keep the car at least another 3-5 years and I could see them adding a Tesla App store or other cool things that would only be assessable to MCU2 computers. I think right now my biggest hesitation is the rear camera reportedly being much darker and almost unusable: How is your rear camera after MCU1 to MCU2 upgade (dark?) If I do decide to get the upgrade I am going to get some before/after pics posted of the rear camera display at night. But hopefully its just a software fix and resolved already.

• Helpful
The sad part about my daughter card replacement is that the tech did something to cause the touchscreen to start leaking even though the SC manager denied the tech could have cause it.

It is unlikely that the tech caused it to leak. That is a very common failure for the older MCU displays. (And the IC displays for that matter.)

It is possible that moving the MCU around caused the bubble to move and be more visible.

Reactions: whitex and sdoorex
I just had my daughter board replaced for $330. Even if I had AP1, I wouldn't upgrade to MCU2 as I enjoy my Sirius XM and AM radio. I don't need to watch Netflix or YouTube and like yourself, I have supercharged less than 6 times even though I have free lifetime charging. And I unless I decide to get a Taycan 4S, I plan to keep my P85+ until the batteries just give out. The sad part about my daughter card replacement is that the tech did something to cause the touchscreen to start leaking even though the SC manager denied the tech could have cause it. Because of the denial and my car being out of warranty since March, the SC manager offered to cover the $300 in labor but I would have to pay $500 for the new touchscreen. Since they bent the aluminum trim on my dash pad during the MCU removal, the SC will replace that at no charge

You should escalate this issue to the regional manager for proper resolution and should not pay for their negligence.

So is Tesla now able to replace the daughterboard on the older 2012-14 cars? (2013 MS here) I have a scheduled service appt for Monday and got an email tonight that parts had been orderd including

MSX PCBA, MCU, TEGRA DAUGHTER BOARD REV-A - PROVISIONED (64 GB)
Part #: 2728212-S0-A

Do not know if the MCU has ever been replaced as I bought the car from Tesla in 2017, however it has LTE. I dont want to take the car in for them to experiment on.

2012 P85 - MCU died completely, no preceding symptoms except eventual network loss and overall sluggishness (was always like that since I've got it 2 years ago though).
In SC right now, being replaced with P/N 2728212-S0-B. Wondering what's the difference against Rev. A, because most likely that's what I had before.

2017 75 RWD - Bought the car used from Tesla about two months ago, and MCU 1 was sluggish from the get-go. It got worse after installation of the FSD computer but no hour-long reboots or black screens. Saw plenty of other symptoms of failing eMMC though like scrambled pin to drive window, intermittent unresponsiveness, non-functioning browser, disappearing blinker sound, etc. While I was prepared to submit multiple service requests over the course of a couple of months after reading the horror stories here, to my surprise, the SC replaced the daughter board right away after the initial request (although they kept the car for about a week). They even gave me a brand new MX loaner with FSD. My experience seems to be the exception here but it supports what others have already pointed out - theservice experience can vary greatly depending on the SC.

2017 75 RWD - Bought the car used from Tesla about two months ago, and MCU 1 was sluggish from the get-go. It got worse after installation of the FSD computer but no hour-long reboots or black screens. Saw plenty of other symptoms of failing eMMC though like scrambled pin to drive window, intermittent unresponsiveness, non-functioning browser, disappearing blinker sound, etc. While I was prepared to submit multiple service requests over the course of a couple of months after reading the horror stories here, to my surprise, the SC replaced the daughter board right away after the initial request (although they kept the car for about a week). They even gave me a brand new MX loaner with FSD. My experience seems to be the exception here but it supports what others have already pointed out - theservice experience can vary greatly depending on the SC.

my local SC quoted an internal policy that said they couldn’t replace hardware/the tegra unless it failed or the internal emmc block erase count was above 3000 (its max rated). Mine is currently at ~2600 and almost out of warranty; MCU has been completely unusable for months.

At my last SC visit for this issue they kept my car for nearly 2 weeks and returned it to me in the same condition I dropped it off in, saying “don’t use the dashcam functionality you paid for/remove the USB stick and things kinda work”, a response I find completely unacceptable...

my local SC quoted an internal policy that said they couldn’t replace hardware/the tegra unless it failed or the internal emmc block erase count was above 3000 (its max rated). Mine is currently at ~2600 and almost out of warranty; MCU has been completely unusable for months.

At my last SC visit for this issue they kept my car for nearly 2 weeks and returned it to me in the same condition I dropped it off in, saying “don’t use the dashcam functionality you paid for/remove the USB stick and things kinda work”, a response I find completely unacceptable...
I am typically an advocate against wearing out your parts prematurely for the sole purpose of getting replacements under warranty, but it would be really tempting in this case.

I wonder if they applied the same logic to the Model Y customer whose roof flew off- just don't drive faster than 10mph, your roof will kinda stay on.

• Funny
Reactions: HankLloydRight