Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Tony. Not sure I found the fine print, but one upgrade (2020.40.9.2 to 2020.48.12.1) and 6 factory resets later, we'll see what happens. I won't be doing an extended drive for another week or so.

I did notice that after each of the first 3 factory resets, my LTE would continuously reset until I did an MCU reboot. After the 4th factory reset, LTE came up immediately with no reboots, and so did the 5th and 6th resets.

Please report final results, sorry the original post has gotten really long, I think I did specify doing multiple at some point. And I was hinting when I mentioned #1396 when I mentioned factory resets. It is really weird and I'm not sure if its is combo of reboot and factory resetting, and sometimes update. We do find that eventually it resolves the issues after much pain and suffering.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
I finally convinced the Service center to replace the daughterboard. X no longer has blank screen issue but now phone app is not able to open the vehicle. SW updated last night to 48.12.1

Q: could that be something Tesla needed to do programming wise to the daughterboard or SW issue or...not relevant to either issue.
Thanks

Please report final results, sorry the original post has gotten really long, I think I did specify doing multiple at some point. And I was hinting when I mentioned #1396 when I mentioned factory resets. It is really weird and I'm not sure if its is combo of reboot and factory resetting, and sometimes update. We do find that eventually it resolves the issues after much pain and suffering.

Did a longer drive today and still had issues. After a little over an hour of driving, LTE started resetting, temp on IC started resetting, MCU responsiveness was terrible, audio went wonky, ugh...

Did a longer drive today and still had issues. After a little over an hour of driving, LTE started resetting, temp on IC started resetting, MCU responsiveness was terrible, audio went wonky, ugh...

This happened to me too. I think it might be some bug / memory leak with the new software, maybe not the eMMC itself?

My situation- new eMMC replaced with a better one many months ago and many software updates and reboots ago. Happened 3 times in my long drive (CLT to Boston and back), 2 times while supercharging.
1st time - I tried changing the route while charging in VA Supercharger to avoid traffic. The MCU got stuck in "calculating" state - became super laggy, with music stuttering etc, and eventually hung. tried rebooting but nothing I did worked. Eventually pulled the MCU fuse from the frunk and put it back. It rebooted and worked just fine after that.
2nd time - while driving, I lost LTE a couple of times in the mountains. I tried changing music streams and the screen became super laggy. Just waited it out without doing anything and it fixed itself.
3rd time - Again while supercharging, it was past midnight and I think the car went into sleep / reboot mode. I believe the car does this low power / reboot cycle after midnight where it takes the center screen some time to boot up, but this was both screens (including IC) and it took way longer. Eventually the 2 button reboot got the car started. Once started, all good again.

@appleguru any insights?

This happened to me too. I think it might be some bug / memory leak with the new software, maybe not the eMMC itself?

My situation- new eMMC replaced with a better one many months ago and many software updates and reboots ago. Happened 3 times in my long drive (CLT to Boston and back), 2 times while supercharging.
1st time - I tried changing the route while charging in VA Supercharger to avoid traffic. The MCU got stuck in "calculating" state - became super laggy, with music stuttering etc, and eventually hung. tried rebooting but nothing I did worked. Eventually pulled the MCU fuse from the frunk and put it back. It rebooted and worked just fine after that.
2nd time - while driving, I lost LTE a couple of times in the mountains. I tried changing music streams and the screen became super laggy. Just waited it out without doing anything and it fixed itself.
3rd time - Again while supercharging, it was past midnight and I think the car went into sleep / reboot mode. I believe the car does this low power / reboot cycle after midnight where it takes the center screen some time to boot up, but this was both screens (including IC) and it took way longer. Eventually the 2 button reboot got the car started. Once started, all good again.

@appleguru any insights?

No specific insights other than to say that I have been experiencing the exact same symptoms on my car (with a factory emmc). It has been into service about half a dozen times for this issue (car is still under warranty), and Tesla tells me every time that "everything is fine" and meets their spec and refuses to replace any hardware. They "suggest upgrading to MCU2" (at my expense). They usually perform a factory reset, or an FPGA reflash and/or software redeploy, which sometimes helps for a few hours, but inevitably the issues return.

I agree that the current MCU issues seem to largely be firmware based, and honestly started around the v9 ("full screen map") release. Not sure they care enough to actually fix these issues though at this point, but we know the Tegra can perform well with properly written software that's optimized for it.

Reactions: CravingMender9
Whenever you notice some laggyness try switching to radio (like AM/FM) instead of streaming music. The spotify and tunein can sometimes hog the cpu especially when cell reception is bad.

Thanks I'll try that next time. Definitely would have helped with the 2nd time it lagged. Not sure what else I could have done other than pulling the fuse the other times though. Tesla really needs to fix their software. I don't need any more games if I can just get some good bug fixes.

I am getting a scrambled partial screen about once a week on my 10/2015 Model S. Tesla service states this is unrelated to the eMMC issue and not covered as part of warranty. What do you think?

IMG_0039b.jpg

I am getting a scrambled partial screen about once a week on my 10/2015 Model S. Tesla service states this is unrelated to the eMMC issue and not covered as part of warranty. What do you think?

View attachment 627565
That doesn't look like an eMMC memory problem. Missing scan lines is something with the screen driver or screen connection.
You might want to consider getting the MCU2 upgrade. Everyone seems to be very happy with it. Probably not much more expensive than repair of MCU1.

Reactions: Akikiki

View attachment 627565

This is typically the result of an FPGA failure, which is on the main MCU board and not the tegra.

With that said, my MCU (under warranty) has exhibited the same symptoms several times (spewing FPGA errors in the logs), and to date, tesla has refused to replace any hardware and has only done "software" fixes (including manually re-flashing the FPGA firmware, which usually happens every time an MCU FW update happens anyways).