Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1.5 k could care less for radio.
Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 9.52.30 AM.png

Here is an actual quote given by Tesla on Oct 2021. They will also charge for labor now.

(And this does not include $500 FM tuner if you do not want to lose your car radio)

View attachment 726359

Here is an actual quote given by Tesla on Oct 2021. They will also charge for labor now.

(And this does not include $500 FM tuner if you do not want to lose your car radio)
That is just a service center screwing up. The page on the upgrade clearly says that installation is included in the price quoted.

This upgrade is available for $2,000 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,500 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles.

When people have brought that up to the service center they correct the quote to charge the price advertised. (Of course people shouldn't have to explain Tesla's pricing to Tesla.)

I also support 100% route of upgrading to MCU2 it is most practical upgrade you can do for your old S/X and it is dirt cheap now.
1.5 k could care less for radio.
$1,500 (plus labor and tax) maybe be dirt cheap to you, but perhaps not to everybody. Others may also care about the tuner, which adds another $500 plus tax, possibly additional installation labor.

$1,500 (plus labor and tax) maybe be dirt cheap to you, but perhaps not to everybody. Others may also care about the tuner, which adds another $500 plus tax, possibly additional installation labor.
It's also possible that you misinterpreted WhiteWi's intent. that is, that he could care less, rather than couldn't care less.

OTOH, maybe he was frugal in his expenditures and afforded part of that $1500 partly by not having this in his reference library: Scholastic Dictionary of Idioms: Terban, Marvin: 9780439770835: Amazon.com: Books

• Funny
Reactions: whitex and aerodyne
I don't believe so. When I picked up the car immediately after service, there were bubbles near the left edge of the screen. Over the next day or two, they migrated to the top. The fact that the bubbles appeared in a different position than where they usually end up suggests to me that they were a new phenomenon. I've never previously seen bubbles in the MCU screen in five years of ownership.

I've requested a new service appointment to repair/replace the screen as a result of the damage caused during the eMMC recall service. We'll see how they respond.

For anyone keeping score at home, my car is back in today for a new screen. They agreed to cover the part but charged me for the labor, claiming "there's nothing in the eMMC recall service that could have caused the bubbles" but they were trying to be generous. Whatever, I'll live with it.

I was slightly more shocked that I asked them to check lubrication of the Pano roof and that is $117 service.

• Informative
Reactions: WhiteWi
For anyone keeping score at home, my car is back in today for a new screen. They agreed to cover the part but charged me for the labor, claiming "there's nothing in the eMMC recall service that could have caused the bubbles" but they were trying to be generous. Whatever, I'll live with it.

I was slightly more shocked that I asked them to check lubrication of the Pano roof and that is $117 service.
Unfortunately, this is typical behavior for Tesla service... they always try to nickel and dime the customer.

"Every penny counts" - Elon Musk.

Reactions: Tesomega
Hello, I noticed you offer some answers, not necessarily to me, but I thought id ask you ( I posted similar question in another thread so ignore that please) I am trying to replace the emmc and I am able to read partitions and fully copy them onto a 64GB swissbit. Would it help enlarge partitions (for example partition 1 is 1GB so giving it 3GB) if so, is there a way to do it? as I am currently stuck with it. Cheers

Hello, I noticed you offer some answers, not necessarily to me, but I thought id ask you ( I posted similar question in another thread so ignore that please) I am trying to replace the emmc and I am able to read partitions and fully copy them onto a 64GB swissbit. Would it help enlarge partitions (for example partition 1 is 1GB so giving it 3GB) if so, is there a way to do it? as I am currently stuck with it. Cheers
Partition 1 and 2 are squashfs filesystem. There is no point extending them. Part 3 and 4 could be extended but unless you are rooted and have reason to make use of additional space there is no reason to.

Reactions: Zeemo
not sure if this is appropriate for this thread and maybe has been discussed but here goes: my 2014 MS is in the shop for 2 recalls (airbag and what I now believe to be "eMMC" or daughterboard replacement). I admit I didn't read or care much about what they had to do as long as they did it. Now I understand better all my "black screen" problems and many of the symptoms coming from a failing chip. My concern is that my car has been in the shop for 2 days. they are having a problem with updating the software - or firmware. I don't know anything else and I am concerned. Anyone else have a problem with the firmware updating and/or any other problems with getting this chip replaced? I'm not looking forward to my first drive after this work is done. Should I be concerned?

My concern is that my car has been in the shop for 2 days. they are having a problem with updating the software - or firmware. I don't know anything else and I am concerned. Anyone else have a problem with the firmware updating and/or any other problems with getting this chip replaced? I'm not looking forward to my first drive after this work is done. Should I be concerned?
Is that what you were told by the service folks? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. The more likely reason is they are swamped at the end of the quarter and/or are waiting on parts like new MCU Tegra board (if your MCU was dead, they have to replace it before they give it back to you). Once replaced, there shouldn't be any issues updating software/firmware. Occasionally service forgets to redeploy the keys which allow your phone app to unlock the car, but if that happens (if you cannot unlock your car using the phone app), just message them and they can deploy them remotely, so not even a visit required.

Is that what you were told by the service folks? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. The more likely reason is they are swamped at the end of the quarter and/or are waiting on parts like new MCU Tegra board (if your MCU was dead, they have to replace it before they give it back to you). Once replaced, there shouldn't be any issues updating software/firmware. Occasionally service forgets to redeploy the keys which allow your phone app to unlock the car, but if that happens (if you cannot unlock your car using the phone app), just message them and they can deploy them remotely, so not even a visit required.
Yes, the service guy told me on the phone they are having trouble updating the firmware. The parts were in. My appointment was delayed until the necessary parts came in and then I was rescheduled. so, I do believe they are having problems installing the firmware. When I dropped the car off it was supposed to be ready to pick up at the end of the day. It wasn't, not the next day either. I have a loaner car so timing isn't important; just weird and a concern.