Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it hard to believe that's it. A hundred thousand people are going to die because nobody shipped Pfizer a few extra extra-strength refrigerators?
Anyone trying to buy a simple small chest freezer this year will have a good understanding how this could be an actual problem. Tens of thousands of -80 freezers don't just suddenly appear because you want them.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
From the General thread, Elon finally understands that he does have covid.

Yeah, not a surprise. Not really any other explanation for the antigen results.

Meanwhile his misinformation remains and I’m sure when he gets better with no issues, he’ll just talk about how it is nothing to worry about. What a dolt. Hope I am wrong of course.

EDIT: sure enough, the guy is a total narcissist apparently, taking his own experience and generalizing it. Yeah, C19 is just a cold virus. Come on Elon, you cannot possibly be that stupid. Is it possible to use a platform to do more harm than he is doing? What a fool. This is the nonsense that kills people.

953B4A5D-8F07-4306-8039-2CF8564624AD.jpeg

Last edited:
He was talking about homeopathy, when mentioning witchcraft.

I wish you were right, but he was not. Instead he was praising the Oxford CEBM, which is best known for continuous garbage science and has been consistently wrong about everything. It’s Oxford - that is how you know it is garbage! It’s kind of like Hoover, as far as I can tell. Just dangerous drivel; diarrheal fake science. Unmitigated BS. CEBM has been covered in this thread extensively, and as predicted, they have been wrong at every turn.

While praising the pseudoscience, Elon was simultaneously taking a huge, steaming, corona-laced dump on the medical establishment, who are putting their lives at risk. He accused them of witchcraft. FFS.

BBEFF0A6-1EF1-46ED-8F48-C00C64A03EE2.jpeg

The reason Heneghan has to “clarify” he is evidence-based is because he is actually a charlatan.

Last edited:
An actually useful thread discussing the issues at play with Elon (after he spewed a bunch of horse**it all over the Internet of course).

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1327755481214029826?s=21
Thanks for the link. Mina has been suggests we should use rapid home test for Covid control. Unfortunately FDA has not approved any ... still anyone knows of a test we can actually buy ? Would be very useful for us (for the care giver who comes home).

Thanks for the link. Mina has been suggests we should use rapid home test for Covid control. Unfortunately FDA has not approved any ... still anyone knows of a test we can actually buy ? Would be very useful for us (for the care giver who comes home).
There is a home test at Costco (they sent an email), but it's not rapid and it's $120 per test.

Anyone trying to buy a simple small chest freezer this year will have a good understanding how this could be an actual problem. Tens of thousands of -80 freezers don't just suddenly appear because you want them.
Yeah our 20 yr old mini freezer died a month ago and there are none to be had (l live in the Seattle area). All the appliance stores have waiting lists and may get in in Jan or Feb.

Coronavirus emerged in Italy earlier than thought, Italian study shows

"But the Italian researchers' findings, published by the INT's scientific magazine Tumori Journal, show that 11,6% of 959 healthy volunteers enrolled in a lung cancer screening trial between September 2019 and March 2020, had developed coronavirus antibodies well before February.

A further specific SARS-CoV-2 antibodies test was carried out by the University of Siena for the same research titled "Unexpected detection of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in the pre-pandemic period in Italy".

It showed that four cases dated back to the first week of October were also positive for antibodies neutralizing the virus, meaning they had got infected in September, Giovanni Apolone, a co-author of the study, told Reuters.

"This is the main finding: people with no symptoms not only were positive after the serological tests but had also antibodies able to kill the virus," Apolone said.

"It means that the new coronavirus can circulate among the population for long and with a low rate of lethality not because it is disappearing but only to surge again," he added.

Italian researchers told Reuters in March that they reported a higher than usual number of cases of severe pneumonia and flu in Lombardy in the last quarter of 2019 in a sign that the new coronavirus might have circulated earlier than previously thought."

"This is the main finding: people with no symptoms not only were positive after the serological tests but had also antibodies able to kill the virus," Apolone said.

"It means that the new coronavirus can circulate among the population for long and with a low rate of lethality not because it is disappearing but only to surge again," he added.
Just a quick warning.....you're coming dangerously close to describing seasonal influenza. That kind of talk will not be tolerated in this thread! /s

In other news, Nate Silver attempted to estimate infection rate within each state. Came up with about 10-25% of each state's population. My concern from here is that's around where Swine Flu stopped. This is far more easily/widely transmitted and is novel. Probably not a great sign.

Just a quick warning.....you're coming dangerously close to describing seasonal influenza. That kind of talk will not be tolerated in this thread! /s

In other news, Nate Silver attempted to estimate infection rate within each state. Came up with about 10-25% of each state's population. My concern from here is that's around where Swine Flu stopped. This is far more easily/widely transmitted and is novel. Probably not a great sign.

I have some pretty serious doubts about that study, based on the performance of antibody tests, and based on how improbable that timeline is, based on what we know about how this virus behaves, but I have not bothered to look up the paper. I’d bet $1000 it is nonsense though. Just makes no sense that there would be people with the virus in September in Italy and somehow it would not be all over China in December (it was not).

I’m also not going to trust Nate Silver’s epidemiological skills, though I saw those numbers this morning and they might not be far off in some states. I’d expect to see some slowing of case growth in the Dakotas in the next week or two. But they also put measures in place in North Dakota so it is going to be difficult to separate the two.

And no, influenza and SARS-CoV-2 are not that similar.

Us is at 251,901 deaths, if we go over 330,000 before Jan 1 2021 the wisdom of the crowds wins this one (assuming you don't average in the 7 votes for Less than 0.01 % of the population that skew the numbers so drastically)

upload_2020-11-16_0-35-9.png

The highlighted guess is where we are now with only 2 votes in that thread, if we go over 330,000 it moves to the non highlighted line just below that.

upload_2020-11-16_0-38-27.png

upload_2020-11-16_0-40-12.png

Last edited:
Michael Mina in favor of extensive testing. From his twitter feed:
NEWS!! This is exciting and the whole world should be watching. Slovakia is undertaking a massive program of repeatedly testing a large fraction of the country weekly with rapid tests for #COVID19 Seeing huge gains in a major shift from increasing to decreasing cases.
I would like to see this happen with rapid tests sent to peoples homes. To do on their own terms. 20M per day in the US. Shipped in groups of ten paper strip tests to every other household in the US. Voluntary use. Voluntary reporting. Lots of ppl know their status.

• Funny
Reactions: njxman and blckdmp