Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clearly, America is failing because we just love our freedoms too much and we don’t have a system that “allows” us to get this pandemic under control. :rolleyes:

Or, maybe it is just that the federal system is not constituted in a way that allows success. Yeah, that must be it. :rolleyes:

EAEE3D9D-4110-4EF5-B54D-0A9B43162AAA.jpeg

Last edited:
Mrs. Uujjj heard a story at work that some nurse at Kaiser's emergency department wore an inflatable costume, and at break a bunch of emergency staff took selfie pictures with it. They figured that since they were in a costume they didn't need to wear a N95 mask. And the selfie takers thought they're in the break area outside the hot zone, we can take off the mask for just a minute for a picture and it'll be ok, right? The next day the nurse in the costume came down with COVID, and a few days later ~1/3 of the department got COVID.

I thought that couldn't possibly be true. But it turned out to be true: 43 staffers infected at Kaiser emergency room in San Jose, and inflatable Christmas costume could be to blame

• Informative
Reactions: HG Wells
These are nurses, who presumably understand the science? Those costumes pull in unfiltered air and slightly pressurize it to keep it inflated, which would concentrate the virus for the wearer while it leaks out under pressure, spreading it everywhere. Incredible.

Not to ding nurses, but there is a WIDE variability of how much of the science they understand. Some are fantastic, know the science like Ph.D.'s. Most, however, are just more concerned with the nuts and bolts of their every day jobs and only have a glancing understanding of the science.

Taxi driver takes drunk passenger who refused to wear mask directly to police station

A taxi driver whose drunken New Year’s Day passenger refused to wear a mask in his cab drove straight to Victoria police station where the man was arrested and fined a total of $690.

The driver called 911 just after 1 a.m. to report that a man was refusing to wear a mask in his cab, touching the driver’s face and “belligerently” refusing requests to adhere to guidelines under the COVID-19 Related Measures Act, police said.

bolding mine, just wanted to be clear this wasn't just someone quietly sitting in a seat with no mask.

When it arrived at Victoria Police Department’s headquarters on 850 Caledonia Ave., the cab was met by officers.

The passenger refused to leave the vehicle and was removed and taken into custody, police said.

The man was fined $230 on each count of failing to wear a facial covering, abusive or belligerent behavior, and failing to comply with the direction of an officer.

He was also ticketed for being intoxicated in a public place and was jailed until sober.

“I wasn’t on the conga line. I ate by myself,” he told the Daily Eagle. “I don’t know how I got this."

Trent said he believed he "wasn't doing anything risky," despite public health guidelines discouraging people from meeting in groups indoors, particularly unmasked.

"It was a wonderful time and a great party, but I’m not happy I got sick," Trent told the Eagle.

Trent developed symptoms two days after attending the party (it's unclear if he caught the virus at the party or already had it and was contagious to other guests at the time).
Republican Christmas Party Conga Line Ended With Someone Hospitalized With COVID-19

• Informative
Reactions: ladysbff
Mrs. Uujjj heard a story at work that some nurse at Kaiser's emergency department wore an inflatable costume, and at break a bunch of emergency staff took selfie pictures with it. They figured that since they were in a costume they didn't need to wear a N95 mask. And the selfie takers thought they're in the break area outside the hot zone, we can take off the mask for just a minute for a picture and it'll be ok, right? The next day the nurse in the costume came down with COVID, and a few days later ~1/3 of the department got COVID.

I thought that couldn't possibly be true. But it turned out to be true: 43 staffers infected at Kaiser emergency room in San Jose, and inflatable Christmas costume could be to blame

Some more inside info on this incident. It was a tech, not a nurse in the costume. It was a Christmas potluck, and staff were unmasked and eating when the tech with the costume came in. (Obviously you have to unmask to eat. Mrs. Uujjj finds eating at work to be kind of terrifying these days.)

It's pretty serious and one of the staff members from the outbreak has died.