Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some more inside info on this incident. It was a tech, not a nurse in the costume. It was a Christmas potluck, and staff were unmasked and eating when the tech with the costume came in. (Obviously you have to unmask to eat. Mrs. Uujjj finds eating at work to be kind of terrifying these days.)

It's pretty serious and one of the staff members from the outbreak has died.
The sensible thing is to eat lunch in the car. Not that I expect people to be sensible.

The quotes from that article are mind boggling

“If you do not take precautions, your likelihood that you will get the virus is higher,” New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said when the video of the event was released just before Christmas. "COVID conga lines are not smart. That’s my official position.”

:)

The Virus Is Still Winning

"This simple chart shows why the new variants of the coronavirus — first detected in Britain and South Africa — are so worrisome:

2021-01-04-MORNING-subNEWSTRAIN-jumbo.jpg

The chart compares the spread of the virus in each of those two countries with the spread in a group of nearby countries. As you can see, cases have surged in Britain and South Africa since the variants first surfaced — while holding fairly steady in the rest of western Europe and southern Africa.

The new variants may not be the only reason. Britain and South Africa differ from their neighbors in other ways, as well. But there is no obvious explanation for the contrast besides the virus’s mutations.

This suggests the rest of the world may now be at risk of a new Covid-19 surge."

The sensible thing is to eat lunch in the car. Not that I expect people to be sensible.

That's not feasible. There's a complicated decontamination procedure before leaving the hospital. You either waste a bunch of time every time you want a snack or you smear COVID all over your family car. Also, if a physician is decontaminated and eating lunch in the car, and someone calls a code blue, what then? Is the patient straight out of luck?

Mrs. Uujjj heard a story at work that some nurse at Kaiser's emergency department wore an inflatable costume, and at break a bunch of emergency staff took selfie pictures with it. They figured that since they were in a costume they didn't need to wear a N95 mask. And the selfie takers thought they're in the break area outside the hot zone, we can take off the mask for just a minute for a picture and it'll be ok, right? The next day the nurse in the costume came down with COVID, and a few days later ~1/3 of the department got COVID.

I thought that couldn't possibly be true. But it turned out to be true: 43 staffers infected at Kaiser emergency room in San Jose, and inflatable Christmas costume could be to blame
And the story makes Entertainment Tonight tonight.

Time to take up intermittent fasting. I did one meal a day for over a year, still do it a few days a week.

I'll try to be polite here but these comments show very little insight to our work conditions. It is very hard to practice social distancing in outpatient medicine, almost impossible inpatient. To find a staff member staring at a full plate of food but too tired/stressed to take a bite is common in the lunch room. I struggle just to keep hydrated. All water fountains are turned off. I bring a water bottle to work but need to find a safe place to remove my mask, take a gulp, and see the next patient. Then I learn that the water bottle can't stay on my desk. Hopefully this will improve a few weeks after the second jab. Just spending 5 minutes venting to your colleague is very therapeutic.

I posted last week about Larry King being in ICU with covid. In way of update, after 10 days in ICU he has now been moved out of that unit. Good news for him and his family.

Larry King moved from ICU after COVID-19 hospitalization

I suppose given the news of hospitals prioritizing case severity and one’s anticipated longevity it’s not a given people are necessarily better, just not as bad as someone else.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: madodel
I'll try to be polite here but these comments show very little insight to our work conditions. It is very hard to practice social distancing in outpatient medicine, almost impossible inpatient. To find a staff member staring at a full plate of food but too tired/stressed to take a bite is common in the lunch room. I struggle just to keep hydrated. All water fountains are turned off. I bring a water bottle to work but need to find a safe place to remove my mask, take a gulp, and see the next patient. Then I learn that the water bottle can't stay on my desk. Hopefully this will improve a few weeks after the second jab. Just spending 5 minutes venting to your colleague is very therapeutic.
My wife told me tonight that all her partners and the NPs are doing video consults in hospital as well as video outpatient visits. My wife refuses to do that, but she is old school. I understand that isn't possible for ER practitioners, but COVID seems to be remaking the practice of medicine. She doesn't believe one can do a correct evaluation of a patient's status without being close enough to hear their heart and listen to their lungs. How the hell does a doctor do that over an iPad? Maybe they only do the video for easy consults. I'm hoping she gets disgusted with the whole thing and finally retires, but I doubt it.

Also while she only works 8-10 hours a day, she no longer eats meals, just some crackers and fruit during the day, but she couldn't give up her coffee. I bought her a Tesla coffee stainless steel travel mug for Christmas so she can bring her own coffee. :)

Reactions: JRP3
The Virus Is Still Winning

"This simple chart shows why the new variants of the coronavirus — first detected in Britain and South Africa — are so worrisome:

View attachment 624115

The chart compares the spread of the virus in each of those two countries with the spread in a group of nearby countries. As you can see, cases have surged in Britain and South Africa since the variants first surfaced — while holding fairly steady in the rest of western Europe and southern Africa.

The new variants may not be the only reason. Britain and South Africa differ from their neighbors in other ways, as well. But there is no obvious explanation for the contrast besides the virus’s mutations.

This suggests the rest of the world may now be at risk of a new Covid-19 surge."
Ireland is actually worse right now. 5m population so >1200 cases per million on January 4th. 25x increase in a few weeks, wow.
upload_2021-1-5_0-56-31.png