Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the CDC and other sources have worked overtime to suppress the natural immunity story. This MMWR headline:

Vaccination Offers Higher Protection than Previous COVID-19 Infection

clearly wants us to believe a lie -- that vaccines are more effective than natural immunity. The text reveals they actually tested infection + vaccine vs. infection w/o vaccine. The study did NOT evaluate infection vs. vaccine as the headline claims.
For good reason - it's extremely easy to take the opposite headline out of context. Taking Dr. Martin Makary's quote out of context and turning it into a headline, for example (and I'm extremely hesitant to even post this):

Natural Immunity After COVID-19 Infection Offers 27 Times Higher Protection Than Vaccines

How do you think anyone that has any hesitance to vaccines is going to react after seeing that headline? How many people are going to read below the headline that taking that path also means you're something like 100x more likely to die from COVID and 50x more likely to be hospitalized 5x more likely to get it?

One path for long-term COVID-19 immunity with minimal side-effects seems to be to receive a series of 3 COVID vaccine shots spaced apart.

Should you happen to be infected by COVID-19, you can probably replace one of these shots.

All this talk about natural immunity vs vaccine, there is a downside. An article today says that 1/3 of people who get COVID have some long haul symptoms for at least 6 months.
Long Covid is a bigger problem than we thought

Absolutely, and being vaccinated doesn't necessarily fully protect you against this as well, as I know someone who was fully vaxed, got covid and still hasn't fully regained their sense of smell 2 months later.

This flyer was passed out at a local forum where 2 local school board members were on the panel. I asked the person who sent it to me and who attended this "forum" to report it to our state Attorney General. I'm not in that school district, and they have no local police force in the West End of our county. She may also report it to the State Police.
vaccine 'warning' by right wingers.jpg
1633007313318.png

This morning, some 17 hours after I got my booster, I woke up feeling decidedly under the weather, and my arm is sore. Not nearly as bad as some folks have reported after their second shot. Not even quite as bad overall as the two-hour chills I got 30 hours after my second shot. I am of the opinion that exercise helps, so I will do my cardio this morning, probably at a lower level than normal.

I've got two options for cardio: Paddling with one of my canoe clubs, which has the advantage of fresh air and sunshine and getting my "salt-water therapy" (swimming in the ocean); or staying in and using the elliptical exerciser, which has the advantage that if I start to feel really bad I can just get off the machine and go to bed. I'm leaning toward the former.

This morning, some 17 hours after I got my booster, I woke up feeling decidedly under the weather, and my arm is sore. Not nearly as bad as some folks have reported after their second shot. Not even quite as bad overall as the two-hour chills I got 30 hours after my second shot. I am of the opinion that exercise helps, so I will do my cardio this morning, probably at a lower level than normal.

I've got two options for cardio: Paddling with one of my canoe clubs, which has the advantage of fresh air and sunshine and getting my "salt-water therapy" (swimming in the ocean); or staying in and using the elliptical exerciser, which has the advantage that if I start to feel really bad I can just get off the machine and go to bed. I'm leaning toward the former.

I went to the paddling club. Paddling was hard because I was tired, but the arm, which was sore starting out, was not sore at all by the time we landed. And I'm feeling much better over-all now. Generally I figure that exercise is good for nearly everything. (And although swimming in the ocean probably has no actual medical benefits apart from the exercise, it does wonders for my mood. Best placebo ever! :D )

I went to the paddling club. Paddling was hard because I was tired, but the arm, which was sore starting out, was not sore at all by the time we landed. And I'm feeling much better over-all now. Generally I figure that exercise is good for nearly everything. (And although swimming in the ocean probably has no actual medical benefits apart from the exercise, it does wonders for my mood. Best placebo ever! :D )
Yep. Rowed over 2,000 km since mid-November. Indoor WaterRower though.

Yep. Rowed over 2,000 km since mid-November. Indoor WaterRower though.

I probably paddle that far in a year. I looked up Indoor Water Rower. Interesting. Rowing and paddling involve different kinds of movement. That machine is definitely more of a whole-body workout than what I do. Paddling an outrigger canoe involves almost no leg work, to the point that people with very limited use of their legs can paddle. Two of our best captains have a hard time walking due to issues with their legs. I use an elliptical for leg workouts. I once had an indoor bike that used water for resistance, much like your machine.

About 26 hours since my booster shot and I'm feeling fine and normal.

This flyer was passed out at a local forum where 2 local school board members were on the panel. I asked the person who sent it to me and who attended this "forum" to report it to our state Attorney General. I'm not in that school district, and they have no local police force in the West End of our county. She may also report it to the State Police.
View attachment 716219View attachment 716220

Wow!

Earth 1 vs Earth 2

The exercise probably helped work the residual vaccine at the site out of the area and distribute it in the body.

Among thousands of the earliest survivors of COVID-19 in Wuhan, China, nearly half had at least one persistent symptom a full year after being released from the hospital, according to a new study published in JAMA Network Open.
Overall, 45 percent of the patients reported at least one symptom in that one-year follow-up. The most common symptoms were fatigue, sweating, chest tightness, anxiety, and myalgia (muscle pain). Having a severe case of COVID-19 increased the likelihood of long-lingering symptoms; 54 percent of the 680 severe cases reported at least one symptom after a year. But persistent symptoms were also common among the nonsevere cases, with 41.5 percent of 1,752 nonsevere cases reporting at least one symptom a year later.

Last edited:

The below is about the same woman.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and madodel
View attachment 716219View attachment 716220
National school board group seeks federal help with threats against public school officials is related.

Well, whatever, as long as more people get vaccinated...

Where Breitbart’s False Claim That Democrats Want Republicans To Stay Unvaccinated Came From

"A few weeks ago, Breitbart News — the right-wing, hyperpartisan news site formerly run by Steve Bannon — published a truly galaxy brain column. Editor-at-large John Nolte argued that Democrats have been promoting the COVID-19 vaccine not to save lives but instead to trick Republican voters into not getting the jab. Nolte’s theory concluded that this, in turn, would lead to unvaccinated Republicans getting sick and dying from COVID-19, ultimately helping Democrats electorally.
Nolte claimed that liberals, in a sinister application of reverse psychology, knew that aggressively pushing the vaccine would lead those on the right to resist, putting them at greater risk for severe infection or death. “In a country where elections are decided on razor-thin margins, does it not benefit one side if their opponents simply drop dead?” Nolte wrote. He then said that the real way to stick it to liberals would be to embrace the “Trump Vaccine” for the life-saving modern miracle that it is."

Yes please, stick it to the liberals...

///me puts his professor hat back on for those in the room that skipped social studies or are too old to remember///

Liberalism vs. Conservatism doesn't correlate with degree of freedom in US politics. That's libertarianism vs. authoritarianism. This is classically, and VERY WELL defined and agreed upon by scholars and was thoroughly vetted out over 50 years ago.

It's called the Nolan Chart (Nolan Chart - Wikipedia), and it has been modified in various forms since then, but the classic Nolan-Stolz below. Liberal and Conservative are equidistant on the "freedoms" scale, with libertarians being the most classically aligned with freedoms (of all kinds), and authoritarian being least aligned with freedoms.

Nolan-Stolz-US-Political-Scale.png

Last edited:
Okay, but….

Ending slavery, getting women the vote, repealing the Chinese Exclusion Act, forcing an end to Jim Crow laws, decriminalizing being gay and extending marriage equality, etc. Those extensions of freedom over the last ~200 years came from the people on the left side of that Nolan Chart because those are, I guess, social freedoms.

What (economic) freedoms have been extended during the last ~200 years by the efforts of folks on the right side of that chart. I can’t really think of anything substantial offhand nor can I remember many on the right side being at the forefront of the key social freedom movements.

That’s kind of by definition since conservatism is often about favoring the status quo and the existing power structures. “A conservative is someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop…”, as William Buckley used to say.

How about going back to talking about pesky Coronaviruses.

Unless your mind is extremely narrow your opinions on different subjects can fall into different parts of that chart. Putting someone in categories, no matter how well intended, is an easy way to not have to consider their opinions or arguments.

Thank you for making my point for me. Your statement put me and other "conservatives" into a pinhole for which we don't necessarily identify. How many people not of your political persuasion do you know that are also environmentalists, pro-vaccine, Tesla drivers, etc? That also describes me very well, but doesn't fit under classic conservatism.

Bluntly, your comment I found prejudiced, discriminatory, and divisive, and my natural instinct in a situation like that is an "eye for an eye" mentality and staunch rebuttal. Honestly, it's comments like that which propagate the divisions in this country instead of trying to help people find common ground.

So, moving on and back to the topic of the thread for me.