Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Their prior highest peak was also in mid-November. Oktoberfest hangover? Germany is also seeing their highest spike, but not as bad as Austria.

Norway is seeing its worst spike, but nothing like Austria. Same with Finland. So far the spikes in previously hard-hit countries like Italy, Spain and France are also much milder. Interestingly enough, Sweden is not spiking.

Looks like various regions spike at different times because of Delta. Basically no country escaped Delta - even the SE Asian countries got hard hit. Now its Western Europe's turn.

Below 12 week graph via: Coronavirus Contribution by Country | 91-DIVOC

qJBMVEw.jpg

NY Times misinformation campaign continues. I need to cancel my subscription. I can’t believe “experts” are still saying things like this! I am no expert, but I am confident this is false. And that’s not Dunning-Kruger at work!

View attachment 735200

Meanwhile:
View attachment 735201
To be clear:

This plot clearly shows we will see breakthrough infections in boosted individuals. Should not be surprising at all and anyone who says the boosters ensure complete protection is being misleading. But they actually will be rare this time, at least for several months, even with Delta (which does not really have immune escape as I understand it, but tends to overpower just two doses). Immune overpowering, not avoiding.

Reactions: madodel
This insulting, inappropriate behavior is not welcome here at TMC.
I'm glad you agree that BPK Dukes behavior is insulting and inappropriate and not welcome here at TMC. If you are referring to my text which mimicsx BPK Dukes, i.e. use of the word stupid, then I would say that your behavior is insulting, inappropriate behavior and not welcome here at TMC. Try attacking the first person who is insulting instead.

Last edited:
Up to 939 provisional deaths in children from COVID. Probably on something like 25% of the population of children infected (hard to say - case numbers are 8% of the population).

Still a rare cause of death in children and small in absolute terms (mostly children die of accidents and suicide and such). But a major risk when it comes to infectious disease, as expected - and considerably more dangerous than the worst known recent influenza for children (2009 Swine Flu).

BFD86E61-A915-4420-8390-0E15FFD13665.png
36BDC5AE-111E-441E-B6D3-0AE47AB34CFD.png

The reporter whose article you are quoting, Apoorva Mandavilli, wrote an earlier article at the end of June about the notion that boosters won’t be needed and the original 2 shots may even give lifetime protection. I think her brain is still stuck on that and that she may be, to some extent, defending her earlier article against the new reality. I thought that June article was rather speculative at the time and that she was overselling the idea based on thin data.

The experts she is relying on in the article include Dr. Paul Offit who spent the summer telling people that we probably wouldn’t need a booster until another “3 to 5 years”.

Offit, and this latest NYT article, frame this around the idea that the need for vaccines is driven by preventing hospitalization and death and that prevention of infection and even mild to moderate symptomatic infection are not all that relevant in their opinion.

Part of this hinges on how readily infected but vaccinated/non-boosted people can spread the virus to others. Various studies give conflicting answers and make varying assumptions around the infectiousness implied by PCS test results in vaccinated people. As far as I can tell, the risk of actually passing on the virus by such people is lower but still substantial and plenty of 2-shot vaccinated people infected with the virus are passing it on to others in households, prisons, and other congregate living settings.

I suspect part of what is going on is that, historically, most vaccines aren’t all that great at preventing infection whereas the SARS-CoV-2 vaccines are showing that they can provide strong protection against infection, at least for a few months.
Thanks for the background. It seems crazy to say the booster is "unlikely to offer much benefit to adults under 65". This large Israeli study clearly shows a benefit below age 65. Overall the booster reduced hospitalizations by 93%.

The word "much" is subjective, though. A reduction from 14 hospitalizations per million to 1 would also be 93%, but pretty meaningless. We accept a certain level of risk for flu, driving, etc. Where do we draw the line for Covid?

Reactions: madodel
If this video is anywhere accurate and not some kind of propaganda, it is truly eye-opening!
They do have a fairly low number of cases, which is likely not falsified too much, and it takes some fairly insane measures to get to that. Most of this is hygiene theatre, though testing animals is not.

We’ll see if they can keep it under control. It seems likely, if there is no end to the measures they will take. It’s all about commitment. They definitely should be boosting their population with a vaccine that works, though. That’s the only way out long term, I suspect.

Remember, this was the country that was allegedly welding people into their apartment blocks. That’s when I realized it was bad, and bought some N95 masks, in late January 2020. With hindsight, I tend to believe these videos did depict exactly what was purported (always hard to know). Seems like a fire code violation.

Last edited:
Offit, and this latest NYT article, frame this around the idea that the need for vaccines is driven by preventing hospitalization and death and that prevention of infection and even mild to moderate symptomatic infection are not all that relevant in their opinion.
This is the issue. People thinking of this as a personal health issue and not a contagious disease that affects entire society.

If this video is anywhere accurate and not some kind of propaganda, it is truly eye-opening!

China Insights is, as mentioned above, is very anti-CCP. Their coverage of COVID has consistently called the virus the "CCP virus". I have corroborated many of the details of their stories from other sources, but their reporting tends to use loaded language. They tend to be very anti-CCP and very pro anyone who opposes the CPP.

The story is probably at least somewhat factual.