Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New booster works against dominant Covid strain

"A new CDC study has found that the Covid-19 bivalent booster reduces the risk of symptomatic infection from the most common subvariant circulating in the U.S. right now by about half.
Additional new data, set to be published on the CDC website on Wednesday, also shows that individuals who received an updated vaccine reduced their risk of death by nearly 13 fold, when compared to the unvaccinated, and by two fold when compared to those with at least one monovalent vaccine but no updated booster."

Study:
Early Estimates of Bivalent mRNA Booster Dose Vaccine ...

"What is added by this report?
Using spike (S)-gene target presence as a proxy for BA.2 sublineages, including XBB and XBB.1.5, during December 2022–January 2023, the results showed that a bivalent mRNA booster dose provided additional protection against symptomatic XBB/XBB.1.5 infection for at least the first 3 months after vaccination in persons who had previously received 2–4 monovalent vaccine doses."

Long COVID: major findings, mechanisms and recommendations - Nature Reviews Microbiology

Good overview over what the currently estimated 65 million long-termers are dealing with.

I forwarded this to my partner. She's read it before and she has long COVID. She's re-reading it.

She had a very bad reaction to sulfa in the 80s that almost killed her. The doctors sent her home to die. It took years to finally get a neurologist to figure out what the lingering problems were. She had been to several and finally went to one of the top neurologists in the US. He said her symptoms are so rare because 999,999 out of a million who get as bad as she did die and few neurologists ever see someone who survive. He said he only knew of one other person who had been as bad as she did and survived and they weren't walking. She taught herself to walk again.

A lot of the long COVID sysmtpoms overlap with the same neurological symptoms she's had for decades. They're just worse.

Annual COVID-19 booster? FDA cliff notes
Katelyn Jetelina
H5Aaghh.jpg

<snip>
bSVB1j5.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33 and DrGriz
Are we looking at the same chart? The booster is barely better than the original.
It's not worse, is the point, I guess. At any rate, those who have hesitated because of the "lack of human studies" can proceed.

Of course, they don't do prerelease human studies on the annual 3 or 4 valent flu vaccines with all of their variations before releasing them, either. Nobody seems to have a heart attack over that.

Yes, they are doing human trials for a universal flu vaccine this year. But it is new, not an annual update of a technology that has been widely used on billions of people already.

Are we looking at the same chart? The booster is barely better than the original.
A bit tongue in cheek.

Anyway it is not conclusively worse or better, and it’s completely underpowered for the most important metrics of course.

But hey at least they tested it.

Of course this cannot be compared with any of the booster observational studies showing the protection from the booster - none of them compare vs. the original booster AFAIK (since the original booster is not allowed). Not contradictory and presumably helps a lot, as one would expect.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz and madodel
Finally, the RCT data we have all requested. The mice did not lie. Now the people who have been waiting for the vaccine to be tested can get it. Just in time. Highly efficacious; clear advantage; can finally close the book on this.

View attachment 900233
Do you have a citation for this?

Eric Topol has written up a summary that cites multiple studies showing that the bivalent vaccines are significantly more effective against current circulating strains of COVID. It's very clear that the bivalent vaccine is the way to go.

Of course, the biggest issue with vaccines now isn't their effectiveness - it's that not enough people are getting them and that their strength continues to wane after 6 months or so. For this reason, I think the FDA's suggestion that going to an annual booster is reasonable, like the flu shot. But I don't see any end in sight to COVID.

With up to 30%+ of people getting COVID suffering from long-COVID symptoms, it's still pretty clear that you do not want to get this if you can help it.

Do you have a citation for this?

(Not sure this is the right link. It is what Google gave me for study 305 part 2. But not sure description matches and no patience to read any details.)

I think it is right:

No mice will be harmed.

Eric Topol has written up a summary that cites multiple studies showing that the bivalent vaccines are significantly more effective against current circulating strains of COVID. It's very clear that the bivalent vaccine is the way to go.

The problem is we have no way to compare it to the original vaccine. That’s the issue. The original vaccine cannot be used as a booster except in a clinical trial (with various complicated caveats based on age and whether you are talking about Moderna or Pfizer I think - covered earlier).

So we have no idea whether it provides additional benefit over getting another OG booster dose (specifically against severe disease).

No observational trial is really sufficient.

I tend to think the bivalent is better at preventing severe disease with Omicron but is probably not really much better at preventing infection. But I have no idea.

Last edited:
According to this study ~1/1000 get serious adverse reaction to the vaccine:

And according to this study:

You need to vaccinate 1M 40-49 year olds to prevent one severe hospitalization or 100k to prevent one hospitalization.

So it seems the booster today causes ~100x more severe reactions than it prevents in this age group.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
According to this study ~1/1000 get serious adverse reaction to the vaccine:

And according to this study:

You need to vaccinate 1M 40-49 year olds to prevent one severe hospitalization or 100k to prevent one hospitalization.

So it seems the booster today causes ~100x more severe reactions than it prevents in this age group.

A closer careful analysis reveals this is not correct (of course). If it were true we would know about it! But we don’t…so it isn’t true.

Reactions: madodel and jerry33
FYI, my spouse mentioned something about the an new variant showing up in the CDC data as I forgot about the update Fri. Added info below.
Footnote in below CDC: "Previously, CH.1.1 was aggregated to BA.2.75"
jml7Fwe.jpg

But there’s now a new player being tracked by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that could give Kraken a run for its money. CH.1.1, or “Orthrus,” was estimated to comprise 1.5% of U.S. cases as of Friday. Another Omicron spawn, it was named after a mythical two-headed cattle dog killed by Hercules, by Australian variant tracker Mike Honey.
What’s more, it features a concerning mutation seen in the deadly Delta variant that generally isn’t seen in Omicrons—one that could make it even more daunting of a foe. While CH.1.1 isn’t a “Deltacron”—a recombinant, or combination, of Delta and Omicron—it’s a prime example of convergent evolution, a process through which COVID variants evolve independently but pick up the same mutations.
Above via What’s CH.1.1? Meet ‘Orthrus,’ a new wildcard Omicron strain with a concerning Delta mutation

Below via COVID Data Tracker
SWvwngS.jpg

Jcj5xnA.jpg

Last edited:
FYI, my spouse mentioned something about the an new variant showing up in the CDC data as I forgot about the update Fri. Added info below.
Footnote in below CDC: "Previously, CH.1.1 was aggregated to BA.2.75"

Above via What’s CH.1.1? Meet ‘Orthrus,’ a new wildcard Omicron strain with a concerning Delta mutation

The Ohio State researchers used a lab-created version of CH.1.1 and examined how well serum from 14 healthcare workers—who had received between two and four doses of the original vaccine, and the new Omicron booster—neutralized it. They found that the workers’ sera created 17 times fewer antibodies against CH.1.1 as they did against BA.4 and BA.5.
Well, that's an interesting one.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
The continued coming & going of variants is interesting but hopefully can avoid predictions of surges until we get the actual bad variant (which would have to be very different to cause big problems, probably). Then and only then.

I guess it does make sense to cry wolf for a two-headed dog, though!

Reactions: DrGriz
The continued coming & going of variants is interesting but hopefully can avoid predictions of surges until we get the actual bad variant (which would have to be very different to cause big problems, probably). Then and only then.

True. Just looking at the graphic shows that CH.1.1 isn't growing or outpacing others in several weeks. Attempted to show that below with some surrounding lines.

AXBQbLi.jpg

It's just interesting to watch these variants and wonder if we will have a bad surge at some point. Not crying wolf, but I do think there's reason to at least remain vigilant, which is why Scott is posting. Especially with such low vaccine uptake and avoidance of masking.

It's just interesting to watch these variants and wonder if we will have a bad surge at some point.

Yes, it was a little unclear in my post - but nothing wrong with tracking the variants.

We’ll have to hope no scary variant comes along. And hopefully the news stops tracking them; I feel it is counterproductive to keeping people alert to alert people to these things. Unfortunately. (It’s how they are covered- not the fact they are covered, of course.)

Reactions: jerry33 and DrGriz
I was reminded of this from a tweet I saw today.

Re: Walgreens Launches COVID-19 Index to Advance Rapid Detection of Omicron and Track Variant Activity by State
I can't recall how much/if this was brought up. From January 19, 2022

To view the Walgreens COVID-19 Index, maps, and other online features, click here.

* ~30K test (top right 1st graphic)
* Change from prev week in 1st graphic but a toggle to get 'Current View' on it.

9bb5BmH.jpg

HkpBwnN.jpg