Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any evidence that bivalent booster provides a benefit to people who have a previous Omicron infection?
There was study that found that old booster actually increased the (small) chance of reinfection with Omicron. I got the bivalent because I’ve never had Covid but I wouldn’t have if I had gotten Omicron.

Reactions: DanCar
I got the bivalent because I’ve never had Covid but I wouldn’t have if I had gotten Omicron.

Really? Even after a year? It seems to me there is a decent chance (sadly zero good data, so annoying) that it would reduce your chance of infection and relatively little downside (reaction to boosters is generally mild though apparently was not for Elon).

It doesn’t seem likely that bivalent would increase your chance of reinfection with Omicron.

Not familiar with the study though you have mentioned it. But would like to see results repeated (of course there is some reason to think it might increase infection risk by “deboosting” Omicron response, I guess, but most of the curves just boost overall antibodies of all sorts, but more in the targeted sequences…so hard to understand that datapoint, still).

Still. It would be nice to have good data on this and it is really frustrating and incomprehensible that we do not. I can’t say you are wrong!

It seems like it is doing something (caveat: I have not looked at any of these studies, but I assume they were not able to remove all people who had had Omicron). This is hospitalization risk.

Last edited:
Really? Even after a year? It seems to me there is a decent chance (sadly zero good data, so annoying) that it would reduce your chance of infection and relatively little downside (reaction to boosters is generally mild though apparently was not for Elon).

It doesn’t seem likely that bivalent would increase your chance of reinfection with Omicron.

Not familiar with the study though you have mentioned it. But would like to see results repeated (of course there is some reason to think it might increase infection risk by “deboosting” Omicron response, I guess, but most of the curves just boost overall antibodies of all sorts, but more in the targeted sequences…so hard to understand that datapoint, still).

Still. It would be nice to have good data on this and it is really frustrating and incomprehensible that we do not. I can’t say you are wrong!
I think this was what I was thinking of but I thought there was a study about booster after infection.

They really should have tried a monovalent booster too (or maybe bivalent with BA2 since it turned out to be the dominant lineage again).

Reactions: DrGriz
I think this was what I was thinking of but I thought there was a study about booster after infection.

They really should have tried a monovalent booster too (or maybe bivalent with BA2 since it turned out to be the dominant lineage again).

No idea what populations there look like.

I remember there being quite a bit of pushback on this but I don’t remember the arguments at this point.

IMO, the data is pretty clear that unless you are doing all you can to avoid COVID infections through other means (N95+ masking, avoiding the public, etc, etc), the recommended COVID vaccine schedules present significantly less risk than the effects of catching COVID.

Going back to Elon's reported side-effects of two different COVID vaccines, I suspect the J & J result is more of a result of that vaccine being less effective and not doing as good a job of ramping up one's immune system in the presence of COVID. I don't recall if he got Pfizer or Moderna mRNA booster, but typical reactions to Moderna seemed to be worse than Pfizer, because it has about double the active content, IIRC. If his reaction was that significant to the vaccine, I have to wonder what would have happened had he gotten a bad dose of COVID (anyone recall if he had COVID before or after going to Germany?)

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz and jerry33
IMO, the data is pretty clear that unless you are doing all you can to avoid COVID infections through other means (N95+ masking, avoiding the public, etc, etc), the recommended COVID vaccine schedules present significantly less risk than the effects of catching COVID.

Going back to Elon's reported side-effects of two different COVID vaccines, I suspect the J & J result is more of a result of that vaccine being less effective and not doing as good a job of ramping up one's immune system in the presence of COVID. I don't recall if he got Pfizer or Moderna mRNA booster, but typical reactions to Moderna seemed to be worse than Pfizer, because it has about double the active content, IIRC. If his reaction was that significant to the vaccine, I have to wonder what would have happened had he gotten a bad dose of COVID (anyone recall if he had COVID before or after going to Germany?)
FWIW, I've had five Moderna Covid shots total (sixth due in Feb), and the worst side effect has been pulling off the bandage.

FWIW, I've had five Moderna Covid shots total (sixth due in Feb), and the worst side effect has been pulling off the bandage.
I've had 4 - 2 Pfizer, 1 Moderna and the Moderna Bivalent. The 1st two Pfizers weren't bad - a bit achy, but mostly tired. Took half a day off work. The 1st Moderna was annoying - significant chills and aches for 24 hours. Didn't work much for a day and a half. The 4th was pretty easy - just a bit tired and achy.

Anyway, it's pretty clear that people react differently - and to assume that your lack of (or significant) reaction to a vaccine represents the norm, is not how consensus is built for the safety of vaccines. Which is why trials and larger populations are done on the vaccines before approval...

I've had 4 - 2 Pfizer, 1 Moderna and the Moderna Bivalent. The 1st two Pfizers weren't bad - a bit achy, but mostly tired. Took half a day off work. The 1st Moderna was annoying - significant chills and aches for 24 hours. Didn't work much for a day and a half. The 4th was pretty easy - just a bit tired and achy.

Anyway, it's pretty clear that people react differently - and to assume that your lack of (or significant) reaction to a vaccine represents the norm, is not how consensus is built for the safety of vaccines. Which is why trials and larger populations are done on the vaccines before approval...
The fun part is figuring out who is going to have a rough time, and who is not. I have seen some of the worst reactions among people who recently had Covid, and since we know that, recently at least, about 50% of people who have had Omicron varieties did not know that they had been infected, it would be fun to find out how many of those whose asses were kicked by a booster were recently infected.

I have had 4 doses in this order:
pfizer, pfizer, omicron, nuvaxovid

I would rank them from from least bad to worst:
nuvaxovid > pfizer #2 > omicron > pfizer #1

I guess the conclusion is that it can be a bit random.