Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"I'm probably, from a years of education standpoint, the most educated person you will probably ever meet. And I strongly identify as "Conservative" (not Republican)."

One would hardly call Trump uneducated but look how that worked out. Education greatly enhances intelligent people. But I would prefer to work with a lesser educated intelligent person that an unintelligent educated person. Bragging about one's education is more of a red flag to me than a respect earner.

You obviously missed the original post, which tried to (incorrectly) associate conservatives or Republicans with a lower IQ. A common fallacy of the left. It is incredibly narrow-minded to ascribe someone as less intelligent because they don't agree with someone on ALL points. Labeling someone without actually having a conversation with them is the cheap way out. You get to look good by calling someone something derogatory without actually having to defend your arguments by engaging with them in conversation.

For those that care to know more about me, I refuse to join ANY political party because I believe that is setting oneself up for group think, which is the first step to not thinking for oneself. I look at all issues, one by one, and try to make a decision based upon the merits and my own experience for that particular issue.

So yes, I'm a conservative. A conservative that believes in climate change and drives a Tesla, that "finished school" in his 30s because he has multiple doctorates and advocates for learning all that he can. Take that for what it is worth (nothing?), but for those that want to know why I post as I do, those are some of the reasons, and I look forward to learning why you think as you do. Who knows, perhaps if you engage with me you might change my mind, or I might change yours, or we both might determine that we were neither fully correct on the subject.

Last edited:
now, a serious question or two. lots of 'zinc' things are sold out, like 'cold-eeze'.

- is zinc really worth over-spending for? (a $6 box is now $18 or more)

- is zinc == zinc? there are zinc this and zinc that; are certain formulations 'key' or is it generic? I see zinc in multivitamins. good enough or not?

Well, take it for what it is work, but this particular "home remedy" has been going around for decades. All I can say is that the science supporting it is weak. There is some, but it's not particularly strong.

But, it's not going to hurt you, so if you feel the urge to pursue it, I cannot argue against trying.

now, a serious question or two. lots of 'zinc' things are sold out, like 'cold-eeze'.

- is zinc really worth over-spending for? (a $6 box is now $18 or more)

- is zinc == zinc? there are zinc this and zinc that; are certain formulations 'key' or is it generic? I see zinc in multivitamins. good enough or not?

Zinc alone probably won't help with corona. You need some way of getting the zinc inside the cell. That's why they've been studying hydroxychloroquine.

note, stargate-like devices are probably not very effective. ymmv.

EmQuartier Admits Its ‘Coronavirus Sanitizing Gate’ is Not Certified

stargate.png

You obviously missed the original post, which tried to (incorrectly) associate conservatives or Republicans with a lower IQ. A common fallacy of the left. It is incredibly narrow-minded to ascribe someone as less intelligent because they don't agree with someone on ALL points. Labeling someone without actually having a conversation with them is the cheap way out. You get to look good by calling someone something derogatory without actually having to defend your arguments by engaging with them i conversation.

For those that care to know more about me, I refuse to join ANY political party because I believe that is setting oneself up for group think, which is the first step to not thinking for oneself. I look at all issues, one by one, and try to make a decision based upon the merits and my own experience for that particular issue.

So yes, I'm a conservative. A conservative that believes in climate change and drives a Tesla, that "finished school" until his 30s because he has multiple doctorates and advocates for learning all that he can. Take that for what it is worth (nothing?), but for those that want to know why I post as I do, those are some of the reasons, and I look forward to learning why you think as you do. Who knows, perhaps if you engage with me you might change my mind, or I might change yours, or we both might determine that we were neither fully correct on the subject.

lol, aren't you the same dude that has been face palming people when you disagree with them?

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J
Finally got through to a live person at Delta Airlines to attempt a refund for our airfare and trip insurance for our motorcycle trip through Spain, Portugal, and Morocco now that Delta had finally 'formally' cancelled those flights (even though the US had already cancelled flights and we did not intend to go, we had to wait until Delta formally cancelled the specific legs of the flights we had purchased). Delta offered a full credit for the cost of the flights, fees, and taxes........but would not refund the ticket price to our credit card........and they did so with the caveat that we must use that credit in-full within the year. Glad to get a full credit, but of course disappointed it isn't a refund. All signs pointing towards airline fares increasing once this pandemic subsides, so it seems the goal would be to book any future flights for the next year in the next couple weeks. Curious if anyone else could share similar travel experience. I am sure enjoying the stories from The Netherlands and the enthusiasm of the Belgians over a pint or 3. Perhaps we will have to schedule our next motorcycle adventures accordingly! Thanks for sharing @NicoV and @Right_Said_Fred !

I *am* hostile to FUD during an epidemic, and I am hostile towards Covid-19 related nonsense presented as fact. By all means, ignore me if you find my tone unpleasant.

You won't see this because you have me on ignore, but I really don't understand why you label my position on masks as "FUD." If you review my posts, you'll see I said:

1) Masks are probably helpful, especially when sick people use them.
2) There's not really any evidence right now that they are the reason for the control that South Korea and China gained over their epidemics. We shall see, long term, when this is studied. To me the clear primary reasons for success in those two countries are social distancing and a lot of testing and aggressive contact tracing.
3) There aren't any masks available right now, so it's an academic point anyway. You kept saying we don't have to shut things down, we can all wear masks. But even if it were effective, unfortunately that actually isn't possible.
4) Masks should go to the healthcare workers and those most at risk, first. And also those who are unwell should use them.
5) The US health authorities only recommend using a mask if you are sick, very at risk, or you are a frontline health worker, to my knowledge.

6) You'll also see I've pushed back on over-estimates of the likely number of cases, growth rates, etc. You know, things that might actually create a lot of unnecessary fear.

I don't see how any of that was "FUD."

I'm sorry we had the disagreement about the eyes and eye protection, and I apologize for responding to your post about breathing through my eyes the way I did, but I'm glad that others chimed in to help correctly explain that risk factor and how that actually works. I really appreciate all the medical professionals on this thread who are contributing. Personally, if I were wearing a mask (which I won't be, since I am not at risk, and I want to save them if they are needed by someone else), I'd wear basic eye protection as well, simply because eye protection is readily available to me. But that is just me.

Finally got through to a live person at Delta Airlines to attempt a refund for our airfare and trip insurance for our motorcycle trip through Spain, Portugal, and Morocco now that Delta had finally 'formally' cancelled those flights (even though the US had already cancelled flights and we did not intend to go, we had to wait until Delta formally cancelled the specific legs of the flights we had purchased). Delta offered a full credit for the cost of the flights, fees, and taxes........but would not refund the ticket price to our credit card........and they did so with the caveat that we must use that credit in-full within the year. Glad to get a full credit, but of course disappointed it isn't a refund. All signs pointing towards airline fares increasing once this pandemic subsides, so it seems the goal would be to book any future flights for the next year in the next couple weeks. Curious if anyone else could share similar travel experience. I am sure enjoying the stories from The Netherlands and the enthusiasm of the Belgians over a pint or 3. Perhaps we will have to schedule our next motorcycle adventures accordingly! Thanks for sharing @NicoV and @Right_Said_Fred !

I believe that is standard for most airlines (at least in my experience). They rarely do refunds, but will let you rebook for no cost for travel within a year time-frame.

I just had some Southwest vouchers expire that we received due to a problem with a flight last year.

• Informative
Reactions: Paracelsus
Thanks @bkp_duke - much appreciated!

Sure. I've got a business trip in 10 days to Toronto, so probably will have something similar happen. Going to be interesting to see how that pans out . . . the customer is adamant right now that I be there to help them stand up their new datacenter. I'm kinda hoping for Canada to close their border so I have a legit excuse to reschedule. :D

• Funny
Reactions: Lessmog
Quick update to my personal situation. I woke up this morning and felt significantly better. Much less fatigued than I have for the last 7 days. My wife is also starting to feel better. I am feeling very confident at this point that our Covid cases were very mild ones, and are going to stay that way. It is a great feeling. The worst part for us has been the worry and uncertainty that it would get much worse. The actual symptoms were not that terrible for us. Fatigue, sore throats, mild fever, itchy but dry noses, shortness of breath with almost any physical activity. Our 11 year old daughter did not have any symptoms at all.

Be careful.

The virus is known to go through a period where patients think they are recovering but the cat scans shows the pneumonia actually gets worse. Which leads to a sudden onset of severe symptoms. Please watch it diligently for the next week.

I actually mentioned Sagebrush's attitude to my own post linking a video by Dr John Campbell about there being 2 strains of the virus. I don't mind people interjecting that there are alternative theories or evidence out there, but the attitude was unwarranted, particularly against a first post into a topic.

I've since pointed out that I was 'shot down' for my post. I agree with someone's response that real scientists don't shoot down people who have differing opinions. They look at things and consider them, then weigh the evidence objectively (and I'll add, are polite about discussing the outcomes).

As for my point about various strains of the virus, well auspice seems to agree that it's forked quite a bit. Perhaps objective people will be interested. As for the discussion perhaps a little more decorum is in order. This thread is not anyone's personal soapbox.