Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ohio and Illinois have announced that bars and restaurants will be closed (at least for eating in).

Hopefully others will join quickly, especially with St. Patrick's Day coming up.

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

Illinois_Ohio_Restaurants.png

now, a serious question or two. lots of 'zinc' things are sold out, like 'cold-eeze'.

- is zinc really worth over-spending for? (a $6 box is now $18 or more)

- is zinc == zinc? there are zinc this and zinc that; are certain formulations 'key' or is it generic? I see zinc in multivitamins. good enough or not?

Cold-eeze is nothing special. Reason why it’s more expensive than other zinc products is because of brand marketing and using zinc gluconate. Wholesale costs of z gluconate is more than twice the cost of zinc citrate. No scientific study conducted that I have read of whether one is more effective in lessening the severity of symptoms, but studies of absorption showed almost no difference between the two forms.

So, I say, just grab any of the cheaper lozenges that uses zinc citrate.

Instead of Cold-eeze, you can grab something like this from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BFRC6G5?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image
It also adds elderberry, if you believe in benefits of that (questionable again, but it doesn’t hurt).
Seems to go in and out of stock frequently. I just bought a couple for my parents the other day.

Cold-eeze is nothing special. Reason why it’s more expensive than other zinc products is because of brand marketing and using zinc gluconate. Wholesale costs of z gluconate is more than twice the cost of zinc citrate. No scientific study conducted that I have read of whether one is more effective in lessening the severity of symptoms, but studies of absorption showed almost no difference between the two forms.

So, I say, just grab any of the cheaper lozenges that uses zinc citrate.

Instead of Cold-eeze, you can grab something like this from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BFRC6G5?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image
It also adds elderberry, if you believe in benefits of that (questionable again, but it doesn’t hurt).
Seems to go in and out of stock frequently. I just bought a couple for my parents the other day.
Sold out today.

Sure. I've got a business trip in 10 days to Toronto, so probably will have something similar happen. Going to be interesting to see how that pans out . . . the customer is adamant right now that I be there to help them stand up their new datacenter. I'm kinda hoping for Canada to close their border so I have a legit excuse to reschedule. :D

Random thought. With all the advanced robotics being developed, why hasn’t anyone built a remote avatar? The remote unit would look like one of those Boston dynamics robots. The operator would have VR googles and a body suit with articulation sensors. I suspect the answer is that it isn’t as easy as I made it sound (and it would be expensive).

now, a serious question or two. lots of 'zinc' things are sold out, like 'cold-eeze'.

- is zinc really worth over-spending for? (a $6 box is now $18 or more)

- is zinc == zinc? there are zinc this and zinc that; are certain formulations 'key' or is it generic? I see zinc in multivitamins. good enough or not?

Probably not effective but we don't know. We do know that in vitro zinc plus some way to get it intracellularly interrupts the ribosome factories that create the virus. The problem is getting an ion through cellular membranes . . . which requires specialized Transit receptor, or ION transporter because normally this is very tightly regulated and blocked. Part of the interest in chloroquine is that in vitro but again this is not been proven in Vivo chloroquine actually opens up cellular membranes so as to allow the zinc ions into the cell where it can disrupt the transcription/translation process that's necessary for the virus to make copies of itself. I can't tell you how many in-vitro therapies have either bombed or proven to be toxic in Vivo but the list runs into the tens of thousands. So at this point it's just a promising lead. It'll have to be chased down and tested out like all kinds of other promising ideas, most, maybe 99%, of which end up on the scientific scrapheap. Frustrating, but that's the way it works

Random thought. With all the advanced robotics being developed, why hasn’t anyone built a remote avatar? The remote unit would look like one of those Boston dynamics robots. The operator would have VR googles and a body suit with articulation sensors. I suspect the answer is that it isn’t as easy as I made it sound (and it would be expensive).
But have you seriously considered the deeper consequences? It might lead to some awkward situations if it is inadvertently left on in transmission mode!

btw, I've made some posts regarding rabbits, in the past. perhaps I've been misunderstood.

I hereby appologize to:

x = ~ (rabbit_owners | ~rabbit_owners)

number of people, here.

just wanted to get that out of the way.

sorry for the interruption. we now return you to your alternate reality, already in progress.

Because human labor is still orders of magnitude cheaper. I can show up and setup the core routers, for far cheaper than what you describe.

Data to support the cytokine storm hypothesis please.

Many of the newer vaccines are against very specific protein fragments, not the entire virus as we did in the past (i.e. live attenuated viruses). This gives a very specific immune response that can be tailored to remove any potential component that causes an undesired reaction (i.e. like cytokine storm). The downside is that if the virus mutates and changes the key expressed protein fragment used in the vaccine, the effectiveness of the vaccine drops. In live attenuated vaccines, you still have coverage.

Basically:
protein fragment vaccine - very specific immune response that generates a limited spectrum of antibodies
traditional vaccine - broad immune response that generates a wide array of antibodies

You can guess which one provides decades-long protection vs. a few years

I skimmed the best scholarly review of sepsis and cytokines that I could find. I didn't have time to do a deep dive but it's got some paradoxical findings. Including how of course classical pro-inflammatory cytokines are largely all elevated in sepsis (not surprisingly) but also interleukin-10 is also elevated and interleukin-10 is perhaps the cardinal or at least best appreciated anti-inflammatory cytokine. It suggests that perhaps the immune system having its foot on the gas pedal and the brake at the same time may be fatal. It's unclear whether interleukin-10 upregulation is compensatory for the pro-inflammatory state but it somehow fails to reduce it, or whether it actually contributes to organ failure. In other words is the high interleukin-10 simply a futile compensatory effort or is it actually contributing to organ failure, the failure of hemostasis, crashing blood pressure, Etc

Later this week I'll sit down with this and mull it over more deliberately.

For anyone interested in a deep dive on this here's the article

Last edited: