Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ETgPKiCXgAA1ehz.jpg

So after the Spring Break parties? ...

• Funny
Reactions: jhm
He thinks 2020, of course.

I pretty much agree with him, I just think it will take a couple weeks more than that (mid-May 2020). We'll still have active cases end of May though. And we'll have new ones crop up now and again.

This is for California, not the US, though. I have no idea what the deep South is going to do. We could be that way nationwide if we all get on the bandwagon now. And it assumes we all stay inside like we're supposed to. I hope they lock down counties in California, as soon as they have any evidence of community spread.

I see a lot of guesses about how long this will last.

I know from studying history how the 1918 flu affected cities.

Generally once cities completely closed down, the epidemic lasted about two weeks.

Spitting on the ground would get you a fine equal to a day’s pay.

Getting onto a streetcar without a mask would get you hauled off to jail.

That was the flu, not the current virus.

There are different onset speeds, very different morbidity, and very different mortality rates.

Does anyone have a math based estimate on how long this epidemic will last?

A company called Kinsa makes an internet connected thermometer where users can upload data to their servers. They have been tracking fevers around the US and comparing it to known flu outbreaks. They came up with an anomaly map that has so far tracked the COVID-19 outbreak ahead of the CDC.

US Health Weather Map by Kinsa

Click on Atypical illness on the map.

I think all of Florida is going to have an explosion of cases in the next few days. It looks like there is about to be an outbreak around Chicago and up into Michigan. New York has already become the center of cases in the US now.

Potential racial discrimination of Sars2:
It’s Complicated: Chinese Scientists Find Coronavirus Discriminates By Race AND Sex | Articles

Still inconclusive.

Does not explain why Italy is so hard hit.
From your link, the About page:
"The VDare Foundation’s mission is education on two main issues: first, the unsustainability of current US immigration policy and second, the “National Question,” which is the viability of the US as a nation-state."

Hmmmmm.......

From your link, the About page:
"The VDare Foundation’s mission is education on two main issues: first, the unsustainability of current US immigration policy and second, the “National Question,” which is the viability of the US as a nation-state."

Hmmmmm.......

Yeah, can't put my finger on it, but there's something strange about that website. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Lasairfion and JRP3
Well I am assuming Central FL social distancing is working.

Just checked our ED, 32 pts! I have never seen 32pts in our ED before at this hour. Usually we would have 130 pts. If this virus doesn't pick up our hospital will be bankrupt..lol.

So far just some people coming in for "cough" plus other injury related things. Nothing crazy. Our ED staff are bored out of their minds.

What most people never talked about is that social distancing just reduced our admission rate by 70%! So this reduction in other needs should help by a lot if there's a sudden surge of critical pts due to the virus.

Well I am assuming Central FL social distancing is working.

Just checked our ED, 32 pts! I have never seen 32pts in our ED before at this hour. Usually we would have 130 pts. If this virus doesn't pick up our hospital will be bankrupt..lol.

So far just some people coming in for "cough" plus other injury related things. Nothing crazy. Our ED staff are bored out of their minds.

If you're bored, go up to NY. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke
My biggest fear for the U.S. economy is how unprepared we are for this. We’ve been increasing the debt at an astonishing rate before this crisis, and I wonder if anyone here has an idea, what effects massive spending increases will entail? It seems like we’ve entered LaLa land where we can just run increasing deficits forever and have no consequences.

Didn't you hear?
"Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." -- Dick Cheney to Paul O'Neill
(until a Democrat is president)
O'Neill says Cheney told him, `Deficits don't matter'
That never gets old.

Reactions: kbM3
A company called Kinsa makes an internet connected thermometer where users can upload data to their servers. They have been tracking fevers around the US and comparing it to known flu outbreaks. They came up with an anomaly map that has so far tracked the COVID-19 outbreak ahead of the CDC.

US Health Weather Map by Kinsa

Click on Atypical illness on the map.

I think all of Florida is going to have an explosion of cases in the next few days. It looks like there is about to be an outbreak around Chicago and up into Michigan. New York has already become the center of cases in the US now.

This is great. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: bhzmark
I see a lot of guesses about how long this will last.

I know from studying history how the 1918 flu affected cities.

Generally once cities completely closed down, the epidemic lasted about two weeks.

People can be carriers for 4 weeks without symptoms. It can take over a month to fall ill and require treatment before they recover, and they appear to still carry the virus for a few weeks afterwards.

Zero chance 2 weeks is sufficient. Look at China, they have people locked up for over 50 days and its still ongoing.

CNN 5 min ago reporting that California Governor ordered 40 million people to shelter-in-place.

“All 40 million residents in the state of California have been ordered to stay home to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

The state is one of the worst affected in the US after Washington and New York. There are now 910 coronavirus cases in California, including 19 deaths.

New York has at least 5,298 cases, while Washington has at least 1,376 confirmed cases.

California is the most populous US state and is the country's largest state economy.”

What does that mean for critical businesses? What about getting groceries, etc? Unclear.

I can’t help but feel that if we had enough face masks, we would be told to wear them like we’ve seen in other countries. Since they don’t even have enough face masks for medical staff, saying to wear them would just panic people who can’t get them which would be pretty much everyone. Better to tell people to lock themselves in for weeks/months to let it run its course. The lax protocols with the initial sick people and insufficient testing of sick and those in their contact really started this wildfire. I dread waking up next month and seeing totals for the U.S.