Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From your link, the About page:
"The VDare Foundation’s mission is education on two main issues: first, the unsustainability of current US immigration policy and second, the “National Question,” which is the viability of the US as a nation-state."

Hmmmmm.......

Ya, the website is just their interpretation, but go to the research. East asians has more expression of ACE2 later in age and also woman has more expression as well. Could be an explanation of the conclusion we see in China, that older people dies in greater numbers. Now if we can get the same study of ace2 gene expression in other countries, we can try to find a link, but most countries are in triage mode now so we won't be seeing that.

Previously, there was another study where n= 8 that says asians has greater ace2 gene expression and hence more susceptible to the virus. However because of the low n count and a later study that shows smokers have larger ace2 expression, this line of deduction was given up. But this study has n = 1000.

What does that mean for critical businesses? What about getting groceries, etc? Unclear.

Those things are all exempt. You can even exercise as long as you maintain distance.

The lax protocols with the initial sick people and insufficient testing of sick and those in their contact really started this wildfire. I dread waking up next month and seeing totals for the U.S.

Yep. It would be nice to have some masks, too.

250k cases is what you'll wake up to. Amongst developed nations, we'll be #1. Mission Accomplished?

Tucker Carlson turns against REPUBLICAN Senator who sold his hotel stock after being briefed about the corona virus in January.
He also spread the news to close friends in US and around the world.

Fox News’ Tucker Carlson says Richard Burr betrayed his country — and should resign to face prosecution

I think that's being blown more than a bit out of proportion. Anyone paying the least bit of attention saw this potentially coming in December. I increased my cash position out of caution (not as much as I should have... but that's on me). I really doubt he would have had access to information that would have been so overwhelmingly influential compared to what everyone else had access to.

On February 28th POTUS called COVID-19 'a hoax'; If he thought that 'hoax' would force an economic lockdown 3 weeks later do you think he would have said that?

Here’s Governor Newsom’s order:

https://covid19.ca.gov/img/N-33-20.pdf

list of California critical infrastructures:

Critical Infrastructure Sectors | CISA

Section specific to transportation manufacturing—sounds like California will count Tesla as critical to its economic existence.

Sector Overview
nipp-sector-critical-manufacturing_2.jpg
The Critical Manufacturing Sector identified several industries to serve as the core of the sector:

• Primary Metals Manufacturing
    • Iron and Steel Mills and Ferro Alloy Manufacturing
    • Alumina and Aluminum Production and Processing
    • Nonferrous Metal Production and Processing
  • Machinery Manufacturing
    • Engine and Turbine Manufacturing
    • Power Transmission Equipment Manufacturing
    • Earth Moving, Mining, Agricultural, and Construction Equipment Manufacturing
  • Electrical Equipment, Appliance, and Component Manufacturing
    • Electric Motor Manufacturing
    • Transformer Manufacturing
    • Generator Manufacturing
  • Transportation Equipment Manufacturing
    • Vehicles and Commercial Ships Manufacturing
    • Aerospace Products and Parts Manufacturing
    • Locomotives, Railroad and Transit Cars, and Rail Track Equipment Manufacturing
Products made by these manufacturing industries are essential to many other critical infrastructure sectors. The Critical Manufacturing Sector focuses on the identification, assessment, prioritization, and protection of nationally significant manufacturing industries within the sector that may be susceptible to manmade and natural disasters.

Last edited:
People can be carriers for 4 weeks without symptoms. It can take over a month to fall ill and require treatment before they recover, and they appear to still carry the virus for a few weeks afterwards.

Zero chance 2 weeks is sufficient. Look at China, they have people locked up for over 50 days and its still ongoing.

China has issues with people coming back in from other countries. They have have had zero cases from Wuhan and Hubei for two days now.

A company called Kinsa makes an internet connected thermometer where users can upload data to their servers. They have been tracking fevers around the US and comparing it to known flu outbreaks. They came up with an anomaly map that has so far tracked the COVID-19 outbreak ahead of the CDC.

US Health Weather Map by Kinsa

Click on Atypical illness on the map.

I think all of Florida is going to have an explosion of cases in the next few days. It looks like there is about to be an outbreak around Chicago and up into Michigan. New York has already become the center of cases in the US now.

Amazing link. It shows that California probably doesn't need to worry. But Michigan....

Reactions: bhzmark
Here’s Governor Newsom’s order:

https://covid19.ca.gov/img/N-33-20.pdf

list of California critical infrastructures:

Critical Infrastructure Sectors | CISA

oh great, now you've shown the terrorists exactly what we consider our critical infrastructure.

you remember the terrorists, right? we spent a few *decades* getting our citizens all riled up and fearful about the terrorists. billions spent to keep people in perpetual fear, since fearful people are easily controlled. it was our big #1 'problem' and the reason why so much authoritarianism increased, world wide.

aren't we still afraid of that boogeyman? or did we grow a pair and realize that there are real problems in the world - and compared to what we have now, that was below noise-level.

perhaps it was always below-noise level. hmmmm.

A company called Kinsa makes an internet connected thermometer where users can upload data to their servers. They have been tracking fevers around the US and comparing it to known flu outbreaks. They came up with an anomaly map that has so far tracked the COVID-19 outbreak ahead of the CDC.

US Health Weather Map by Kinsa

Click on Atypical illness on the map.

I think all of Florida is going to have an explosion of cases in the next few days. It looks like there is about to be an outbreak around Chicago and up into Michigan. New York has already become the center of cases in the US now.

I don’t doubt that map is appropriate for Florida.

Florida retirees are big international travelers plus we are inundated with folks from the North in the winter. Also, add in spring break college kids.

A bad cocktail mixer.....

As a millennial, I really hate calling this a war. A threat yes, serious yes, but not a war. But I agree the simplest most common sense thing is just stay home as much as possible, no guns or death necessary. There just isn't enough good data yet to do any different, and as a Tesla shareholder I'm disappointed they tried to fight it. If 80% of people experience no or mild symptoms, that means a ton of people are walking around spreading things without even knowing it. Until there is widespread testing, it's like dealing with a ghost, sure they might knock over a pot here and there, but otherwise we don't know much about where or how bad it is. The cases they list are probably not a good picture of what's really going on.

In my state of over 4 million people, there are 40 tests a day right now. You don't have to be statistics professor to know that's not enough to give you a good idea of what is happening with the population, especially if most people feel normal.

I have a dentist appointment tomorrow, but am thinking about canceling because I've had the sniffles since the trees started blooming last week. Almost certain it's just allergies, feel fine otherwise, but then again I could easily have Corona and not know it too.

Our recommendation is to cancel all appts unless absolutely necessary, including hair cuts. Let's flatten this curve!

This chart is helpful: active cases per 100k inhabitants by days since 1 per million was first observed.

IMG_20200319_220448.jpg

Notice that Korea has plateaued at about 15 cases per 100k. The US is now at about 2 per 100k. Korea has been much more vigorous in their response than most of Europe and the US. Most of Europe is either above Korea's rate or looks to cross it. It does not appear that Itally is slowing at all. The US is tracking most closely with Germany. Germany looks to overtake Korea in a day or two.

With all this in mind, I don't see any compelling reason why that US will not see a 10X increase in active cases. It looks like 20 to 100 cases per 100k is to be expected.

The US is about 7 or 8 days from crossing the 10 active cases per 100k.

This chart is helpful: active cases per 100k inhabitants by days since 1 per million was first observed.

View attachment 523589

Notice that Korea has plateaued at about 15 cases per 100k. The US is now at about 2 per 100k. Korea has been much more vigorous in their response than most of Europe and the US. Most of Europe is either above Korea's rate or looks to cross it. It does not appear that Itally is slowing at all. The US is tracking most closely with Germany. Germany looks to overtake Korea in a day or two.

With all this in mind, I don't see any compelling reason why that US will not see a 10X increase in active cases. It looks like 20 to 100 cases per 100k is to be expected.

Yesterday was 2.x per 100K. USA is now at 43 per million, so 4.3 per 100K. Should be 6 or 7 tomorrow/Friday and past 10 on Saturday.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 245,648 Cases and 10,048 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

Last edited:
Reactions: jhm

View attachment 523589

Based on that graph I'm planning on holding my SPY and TSLA Puts at least another week. Can't decide what to do before rolling into April....