Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, in case anyone thinks you can ramp even N95 mask production quickly in this country:

Matt Parlmer → on Twitter

"I've been working on an N95 mask production project with a team for about a week now. We just got off the phone with NIOSH. They told us that approval for a new mask production facility in the US will take at minimum 45 days, but more likely 90. A lot of people are gonna die."

But hey, regulations are good, right?

Hospitalization for any cause, or something else ?

Report is tied to the virus.....

FWIW: you may be seeing the same, but my son is on late night-AM this week at UNC's ER. He says this week the Hospital is eerily quiet. Makes sense with surgical procedures down coupled with folks just staying away....hopefully, not the calm before the storm.

They still are running 3 ER's and outside the hospital they have a screener who directs to a special/distinct ER area if anyone has cough, fever, etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: GleanerC
Yuck. Moronic humor, lots of swearing, and it blames ... wait for it ... Trump! Oh how funny and unexpected!
How many do you think would support a moron as president? Those that deal in a world of? It seems to be a loud almost majority of stable geniuses. The true humane, the new ones that define us a being human. The supporters of sh!t shows. Been watch one tweet for 3 years.

Also Not-a-Mod, but:
I would also be mightily p-o'd to receive that sort of "greeting".
My temper can also self-moderate over time, sometimes. Not always.
Hopefully a responsible party will apologize and make up soon. Equinox and all ...
Folks, we REALLY CANNOT AFFORD to lose an asset like @KarenRei (if she is still tuned in).
Good night for now. GLTA next week, and the next, ...

PS @ohmman -- extremely interesting avatar you have. Long time admirer. Does it run in the family? ;)

The mods are improving. At least now I get the reason why a post was deleted instead of a condescending note like "you should know better".

I tried to look for my first warning post on COVID 19 back when it was known as the wuhan virus and couldn't find it. That's when I know that it was one of the post that was deleted by mods. Again, it'd be nice if we know which post was moved or deleted so we understand what the mods are trying to moderate instead of realizing it several months later while searching for it.

I have a half mask respirator with P100 organic vapor cartridges (which look like the below image). 3M's cleaning/disinfecting guide recommends disposal of cartridges after use. That's not practical in my case since I only have the one pair and I'd like to retain it for critical trips that I deem at high risk of exposure. Anyone experienced with, or care to offer thoughts on, a disinfecting regimen for such a set-up? Of course I would feel absolutely ridiculous going out in such a device...

Here is 3M's guide for anyone curious.

e5b946ce-e3bb-42c0-b6ae-c9f2c1f8fb06._SL300__.png

Just keep wearing them. It'll be harder to breath but should be ok.

You can't really unclog those as any kind of washing will just destroy it.

BTW, in case anyone thinks you can ramp even N95 mask production quickly in this country:

"I've been working on an N95 mask production project with a team for about a week now. We just got off the phone with NIOSH. They told us that approval for a new mask production facility in the US will take at minimum 45 days, but more likely 90. A lot of people are gonna die."

Bhopal: The World's Worst Industrial Disaster, 30 Years Later

Yup.

Which articles are you referencing if you don't mind sharing.

Since replying to Karen's post means it gets posted in the general investor thread, I had to reply to AMN's.

This runs counter to the research from the team WHO send to China. Where they find that all detected asymptomatic cases eventually develop into symptomatic cases. Meaning that the disease clearly gets worst as it progresses.

You'd think that mild and asymptomatic cases are caused by a strong immune system, but since healthy young athletes also fall victim to this virus it opens up some speculation that something is the key that activates the progression to very severe cases.

• Helpful
Reactions: X Fan
Question for doctors on this thread...

Saw a Twitter outrage erupt over N95 masks that the Seattle Target was offering for sale to the general public. After the outrage Target offered to donate the masks to hospitals. The box looks like it says for air pollution and pollen.

I am wondering if there is a medical grade N95 mask, or if masks like these, for general use, can actually provide the necessary protection to clinicians? Is any N95 acceptable for hospital use?

I don't know the intensity required to reliably kill off CV. Yes, it may turn out to be a brain fart. If it's very high and needed a lot of power, I was thinking there could be a switch/proximity sensor that triggered the well-shielded UV lights. Might require a spiral chamber and radial pump? [Those two go well together!]

Alternatively, heaters are dirt cheap.

It's past midnight here, so I'll be curious to know what you dug up! :)

How about a lightly pressurized pre-chamber? Air would spend a lot more time in there, where it could be continually bathed in UV LED light arrays inside the chamber for total/deeper virus kill rate. A side benefit would be not having the thing run all the time, just when enough breaths are taken that the pressure chamber drops below a threshold. Kinda like how most compressors cycle on and off as their air charge is depleted. You'd also need a regulator at the mask inlet, like in SCUBA gear, but all at lower psi.

Last edited:

Substitute NIOSH for FDA...

FDA neg.png

Another article re: China hoarding needed product (from NY Times): The World Needs Masks. China Makes Them — But Has Been Hoarding Them.

btw: self-preservation showing up in Europe. Both Germany and France are mandating that their domestic production cannot be exported.

Last edited:
@KarenRei FWIW - please don’t go. You are one of the more intelligent AND level headed posters on TMC. Few are both. Believe it or not, you ARE welcome here by many of us readers and you make this site worthwhile to participate in.

Hell, just start your own thread that is “KarenRei’s” thread and I’ll follow that. Then you should be able to post whatever you want on there.

the old guard still thinks the old rules apply.

they don't. when lives are at risk, screw the 'rules'.

they should just make them, don't call them n95 but call them something else (which is honest).

I got some masks from work and they are called kn95 and they are NOT real n95, I don't love them or trust them, but in a pinch, they are better than nothing.

red tape is fine for when things are normal. they're not now. I'd like to see some legislation that relaxes overly tight rules in terms of emergency and this sure qualifies.

as long as things are MARKED properly for what they are, I see no problem. and I see no problem in ignore stupid rules if its going to save lives.

I generally agree, but note that Wuhan lockdown was 2 months, not 6 weeks. They are starting to loosen, but it's still extremely tight. I'm also highly suspicious of China's numbers. I don't think it's running rampant -- their controls are very tight. But zero cases? Hmmm.

Test-and-trace fans (like me) took a body blow today, as poster child South Korea is now moving to a soft lockdown:
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/a...ts-147-new-coronavirus-cases-total-8-799-kcdc
I think pure test and trace won’t work. Varying amounts of lockdowns will be needed until enough people have immunity.

Governments will also have the problem of figuring out whether measures are working or not because of 2 week lag between measures and cases peaking.

ps : That’s why I think we won’t see a V shape market recovery. We’ll see waves of optimism and pessimism.

Reactions: X Fan
Another article re: China hoarding needed product (from NY Times): The World Needs Masks. China Makes Them — But Has Been Hoarding Them.

btw: self-preservation showing up in Europe. Both Germany and France are mandating that their domestic production cannot be exported.

Makes sense, a country would not export items they need. Makes no sense. Calling is hoarding is just trying to incite hate. I guess NY Times should say that USA is hoarding nukes and not sharing them with Iran. ;)

Last edited: