Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wrapper would be as contaminated as it was when frozen (my understanding). Spraying some alcohol based surface sanitizer on the wrapper would decontaminate it, takes about a minute. I was really thinking about food that you prepare yourself, such as this pear, caramelized onion, and goat cheese pizza. View attachment 524670
On a tangent: What if I need to decontaminate an outer wrapper and sanitizer is in short supply, would ordinary washer fluid do the trick? Our kind contains alcohol in some form, but unclear in what concentration. It will be produced to taste horrible, so only use it externally.

But of course just 0.5 million deaths would cause mayhem and chaos. Because it's not influenza.

How do you get to 0.5 million deaths? Do a 90% worldwide lockdown? What's the value of that? For the little incremental cost you can get below 50k deaths.

Seems to me the choices are either full lockdown and 50'000 deaths, or no lockdown and 50 million deaths. I've not seen any viable in between plan proposed by anybody yet.

I would emulate Sweden where schools are running and there are no restrictions on public transport or movement but large gatherings are discouraged and social distance is encouraged, these guidelines apply also in the capital of Sweden. There are some deaths and they are preparing for more cases but they accept some deaths instead of locking everything down as the only country in Europe. And they will probably come out of this the fastest and with the least damage.
That's great for Sweden but here in the US it's already out of control. We need to get it under control before we can think about reopening schools and non-essential businesses.

On a tangent: What if I need to decontaminate an outer wrapper and sanitizer is in short supply, would ordinary washer fluid do the trick? Our kind contains alcohol in some form, but unclear in what concentration. It will be produced to taste horrible, so only use it externally.
I'm pretty sure ordinary washer fluid is poisonous. Wouldn't be my first choice. Maybe some of that white lighting that you can get down South.

That's great for Sweden but here in the US it's already out of control. We need to get it under control before we can think about reopening schools and non-essential businesses.

Sweden didn't have stricter restrictions at any phase so far. These or more loose instructions have been the government guidelines from the beginning.

In Finland we have much higher restrictions which are flushing the economy down the toilet. And hospital resources dedicated for this are idling, let alone accepting some deaths.

Sweden didn't have stricter restrictions at any phase so far. These have been the government guidelines from the beginning.
Yes, unfortunately we do not have the technology to go back in time and get it under control. Our government's response has been ineffective and now we're in the situation we're in. There's no need to rub it in.

Just scale the numbers to match population. It's an easy calculation. I don't live in the USA so I don't focus on it, there's the rest of the world as well.

So, let's just go with that with 212k deaths in the US, assuming a death rate of 1% (might be optimistic with hospital loading given we'd get those in the course of a few weeks!), how would you plan to limit the infections to 21 million people (let's call it 42 million to account for 50% of the people not showing any symptoms and not being counted? That's 13% of the US population? How do we limit it to that? It sounds like you might really be on to an idea here, as that would seem like a pretty decent solution. Just have to keep it limited to 5% - you just have to let us all in on your plan!

Do explain. This may be actionable and we can roll it out to the world.

Reactions: deonb
So, let's just go with that with 212k deaths in the US, assuming a death rate of 1% (might be optimistic with hospital loading given we'd get those in the course of a few weeks!), how would you plan to limit the infections to 21 million people (let's call it 42 million to account for 50% of the people not showing any symptoms and not being counted? That's 13% of the US population? How do we limit it to that? It sounds like you might really be on to an idea here, as that would seem like a pretty decent solution. Just have to keep it limited to 5% - you just have to let us all in on your plan!

Do explain. This may be actionable and we can roll it out to the world.

I just told you. Do it like Sweden; doing some sensible actions and accepting some level of casualties without nuking their own economy. Although they will get their share from the surrounding fallout.

Last edited:
I just told you. Do it like Sweden; doing some sensible actions and accepting some level of casualties without nuking their own economy. Although they will get their share from the surrounding fallout.

Do check back in a couple weeks. I hope Sweden is doing hundreds of thousands of tests a week.

Last edited:
Frankly, I am not impressed by his leadership in this covid19 event. He claimed only focused on research part. I applauded his effort to donate 100s millions of vaccine to Africa for other pandemic. But how many tests, PPEs and masks he tried to secure, prepare and donated to hospital this time?
Always love to pile on Gates:
Well, he already invented the Blue Screen of Death. Impressive PPE, right? :cool:

What are we not doing that Sweden is doing?
I don't think you're understanding that it still appears to be spreading exponentially here.

For starters, we're not using Swedes...

Only a little bit kidding. In the US, even if you tell someone they will absolutely 100% for sure be responsible for murdering someone, they still won't follow rules unless those rules come at the end of a gun.

We talk about an Italian culture "furbizia". The U.S is even worse - we just have better policing here. When rules are followed in the US it is only because they come with the threat of deadly force. Without that, nobody would follow them. There is absolutely zero culture of "social responsibility" here.

What are we not doing that Sweden is doing?
I don't think you're understanding that it still appears to be spreading exponentially here.

To give some examples, Finland has closed down all public spaces such as libraries, gyms and all schools and forbidden gatherings of more than 10 people. All non-emergency cases to doctors have been cancelled. Dentists are only allowed to operate on urgent patients. Movement of seniors outside of their homes is discouraged. And so on. This has killed normal life and instilled even more fear in people, resulting in secondary effects that are going to bankrupt restaurants and other small businesses. We are even contemplating limiting movement inside Finland.

For comparison, Sweden limits public gatherings to 500 people. Public places remain open. Elementary schools and day care centers are allowed to operate, apparently high schools and universities are also allowed to operate but remote teaching is encouraged. Seniors are encouraged to move outside but to try to keep 1 meter distance to other people.

There has been one confirmed death due to coronavirus in Finland. Sweden will be over with this by the time we will continue destroying our economy in the subsequent waves. For what?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
To give some examples, Finland has closed down all public spaces such as libraries, gyms and all schools and forbidden gatherings of more than 10 people. All non-emergency cases to doctors have been cancelled. Dentists are only allowed to operate on urgent patients. Movement of seniors outside of their homes is discouraged. And so on. This has killed normal life and instilled even more fear in people, resulting in secondary effects that are going to bankrupt restaurants and other small businesses. We are even contemplating limiting movement inside Finland.

For comparison, Sweden limits public gatherings to 500 people. Public places remain open. Elementary schools and day care centers are allowed to operate, apparently high schools and universities are also allowed to operate but remote teaching is encouraged. Seniors are encouraged to move outside but to try to keep 1 meter distance to other people.
We are already doing everything you say Sweden is doing plus all the the more restrictive things that Finland is doing. I don't see how doing less will get the spread under control. The deaths are going up exponentially here! Are you saying it's under control in the US like it is in Sweden but we just have to wait a few weeks to see it? At this point I think we should wait a few weeks to be sure...

We are already doing everything you say Sweden is doing plus all the the more restrictive things that Finland is doing. I don't see how doing less will get the spread under control. The deaths are going up exponentially here! Are you saying it's under control in the US like it is in Sweden but we just have to wait a few weeks to see it? At this point I think we should wait a few weeks to be sure...

You got me, I give up :confused: Please do nuke your economy to the fullest extent possible.