Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk Says Tesla's New York Factory Will Make Ventilators 'As Soon As Humanly Possible' - Slashdot

Elon Musk announced that the Gigafactory in Buffalo, New York, making solar roof tiles and battery packs for home energy storage is switching to making ventilators in collaboration with Medtronic. "Days after offering 1,255 free ventilators to help deal with the coronavirus outbreak, Tesla boss Elon Musk said the company's New York factory will restart to make more," reports CNET.

RIGHT ON!

"makers" are good people. I've always believed that.

Elon Musk Says Tesla's New York Factory Will Make Ventilators 'As Soon As Humanly Possible' - Slashdot

Elon Musk announced that the Gigafactory in Buffalo, New York, making solar roof tiles and battery packs for home energy storage is switching to making ventilators in collaboration with Medtronic. "Days after offering 1,255 free ventilators to help deal with the coronavirus outbreak, Tesla boss Elon Musk said the company's New York factory will restart to make more," reports CNET.

RIGHT ON!

"makers" are good people. I've always believed that.

Yes Elon, way to go! I wish someone would do something similar for masks. We're not going to need millions of masks when we're done. We're going to need billions. Per month.

The part that you conveniently left out of the title is: "despite confinement". The cost of "only" having 80'000 deaths is the shutdown and $6 trillion.

Doing nothing doesn't get us to 80'000 deaths, it gets us to 15 million+ deaths.
That’s fake news. You assume every single person in the country would get the virus and there’d be a 5% death rate? You must watch cable news all day

This is weird. From:
https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/Coronavirus

"The state's notifiable conditions database is currently experiencing a slowdown because of a 10-fold increase in the number of lab reports received. Our IT team is working to correct the issue."

Ok, they've had 34000 tests before. 10 times that is 340000 (which, no... but let's humor them). What on earth database are they running that crumbles under 340000 records? dBASE IV?

Ok. They're not showing that anymore, it seems they solved their database problem, but now they are math challenged.

Total cases: 3207
New cases: 147

Total cases was 2580 cases yesterday - I literally just refreshed the page and saw it change from 2580 to 3207 (8 different from what worldometers showed).

3207 - 2580 = 627 new cases, not 147.

Where's an eye-rolling emoji when you need one?

• Funny
Reactions: Lessmog
we need a national tally board of who is helping move progress forward (like elon and the vent-making), and who is just creating more problems (like that landlord who kicked out the healthcare worker/nurse).

we should never forget who threw us under the bus and who was there to save us.

shun those that tried to profit from this and patronize those that were selfless and tried their best to help.

case in point, this guy:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...a3581e-6e11-11ea-b148-e4ce3fbd85b5_story.html

“The fundamental problem is whether we are going to tank the entire economy to save 2.5% of the population which is (1) generally expensive to maintain, and (2) not productive.”

At which point, McMillan instantly became Scrooge, a “ghoul,” an advocate for the death of 8.2 million Americans. Within minutes, he was trending on Twitter, and not in a good way.

Within 48 hours, he had received nine death threats.

I'm having a hard time feeling any sympathy for a guy like this.

Last edited:
Took 2 hours, but I got the insert printed. LoL.

View attachment 526188

Mask just started, going to be a 9h job I'm betting.

View attachment 526185

Does it work like this: If you are sitting watching it being built, you can't be outside spreading the virus? :D

I used to write code to generate STL files (triangle/vector data) from complex surfaces in a previous life. Nobody was that excited about it when we called it Stereolithography. More interest was drummed up when we called it Rapid Prototyping. Now it's called 3D Printing and it finally took off. Now my son has one that was less than $500.

Yahoo has an article titled “Shock claim: Deaths will top 80,000 in the next four months”. That’s shocking?
Why didn’t we shut down the economy in 2018 when 60,000+ died in the US from the flu? Why didn’t we spend $6 trillion when 43,000 people died from opioid overdose in 2019?
In related news we spent $3.6 trillion on health care last year and 2.8 million people died!

That’s fake news. You assume every single person in the country would get the virus and there’d be a 5% death rate? You must watch cable news all day

We have a 5% to 11% ICU rate right now. Actual numbers. South Korea had a 10% hospitalization rate and they're pretty close to tracking every infected case.

You unleash millions of people on the hospitals at the same time, and almost all of the ICU cases, and a large percentage of the hospital cases turn into fatalities instead. So it's pretty easy to then foresee an overall fatality rate of up to 5% in such a scenario.

We have a 5% to 11% ICU rate right now. Actual numbers. South Korea had a 10% hospitalization rate and they're pretty close to tracking every infected case.

You unleash millions of people on the hospitals at the same time, and almost all of the ICU cases, and a large percentage of the hospital cases turn into deaths instead. It's pretty easy to then foresee an overall fatality rate of up to 5%.
But the economy would be great! No one would be panicking when they noticed that there was no longer a functional hospital system.
5% still seems a little bit high but I suppose the complete breakdown of our hospitals would lead to more preventable deaths from other causes.

Ok. They're not showing that anymore, it seems they solved their database problem, but now they are math challenged.

Total cases was 2580 cases yesterday - I literally just refreshed the page and saw it change from 2580 to 3207 (8 different from what worldometers showed).

So, today we had big increases from a few states - at least in some cases they were because of issues yesterday. 10 States with 500+ new cases. We have a long way to go before any kind of flattening.

The worrying thing is - Wuhan started a lock down when they had 30 deaths. Final result is nearly 100x the initial number.

ft.png

wow, a real life Lord Farquaad (from the animated movie 'shrek'):

'Some may even die, I don't know': Former Wells Fargo CEO wants people to go back to work and 'see what happens'

"Some of them will get sick," former Wells Fargo CEO Dick Kovacevich told Bloomberg News. "Some may even die, I don't know.

farquaad.png

wells fargo? yup. why am I not surprised.

and from wikipedia:

"Besides Wells Fargo, Kovacevich is a director of Cisco Systems, Inc"

now THAT surprised me.

looks like I'm not buying cisco anymore. (no loss, lol, their stuff has been duff for decades)

So it's possible some of those cases were a backup from the last few days. The nearest thing we can say with certainty is:

Since the 23rd of March, when they had 1996 positive, 28879 negative:

Since they now have 3207 positives, and 43137 negatives,

They have found 1211 positives, out of 15469 tests (a 7.8% positive rate).

So I would say not out of the woods yet, but the ~50% increase in test capacity is helpful.

We really want to see that positive % come down, obviously! Need more testing, and need to get those people isolated, stat.

So maybe about 100K is the current test capacity?

Yeah that was the milestone mentioned in the briefing today. Not nearly enough at this stage of the epidemic - it may not be enough to keep up with case growth. Possible we're fighting a losing battle at this stage if we don't lock everyone down nationwide, unless they have a plan to double capacity by tomorrow or something. Hopefully NY rates will slow down after another week when the effects of the shutdown start to show up in force - that is sucking up a lot of capacity right now.

ft-png.526220

The scary thing about that chart is that it shows the US is on an almost unstoppable path from 1,000+ to 10,000+ deaths in 7 days (trend line not bending) to 14 days (trend line bending like the Italian one).

The US trend line also is the steepest one of all countries so far. Does that say something about the health of the average American? Or the health system?

That is a direct quote from that conspiracy theory article. Do you have anything to back up your CT?

Quiz: Exactly how would you prepare for the next disaster?

After you tell me your idea, then I get to pick the disaster. I'll make it easier. It won't be a Yellowstone super-volcano.
I think it's obvious from the evidence that: (a) there was no plan; (b) bad sh** happened; and (c) reading the Obama-era playbook, different and constructive actions were recommended. Now, whether those recommendations would have been followed, and whether if followed they would have materially changed the outcome we are currently experiencing, is open to question. I haven't read the other "playbooks" the administration sources claimed to have been following, but again, the actions they took and the outcome is quite clear-- so that doesn't sound so much like "we had a different, better plan" as much as it sounds like "here's a bunch of documents, see we had a plan!"

Since you made this personal: Disaster preparedness is something I would ask experts to plan for. After doing so, I would read and evaluate their recommendations. When disaster struck, I would follow and adapt their recommendations based on events. What I would not do is dismiss the seriousness of the looming disaster, tune out the experts who disagreed with me, and contradict and undercut those advisers at nearly every turn. That is the playbook Trump appears to be following. How is this not obvious?

Edit: I was disagreeing with your interpretation, not the "CT" that you quoted. To be clear.

Last edited: