Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...The data from Iceland does seem unusual though. Their hospitalization rate seems much lower than expected. I ran the numbers from the Imperial College study and it predicts they should have 53 hospitalizations, they have 25 and 9 in intensive care (I assume this is included in the 25). And that's assuming they caught all the cases which of course they have not. Of course it's likely that many of the known cases will end up needing to be hospitalized.
Looking at patterns around the world, would suggest a couple of many potential explanations.

The median age in Iceland is ~37 years, which is quite young for a developed country. Further, the population density in Iceland is only 3 per km^2. Globally the average population density is 25 people per km^2.

• Helpful
Reactions: Doggydogworld
Looking at patterns around the world, would suggest a couple of many potential explanations.

The median age in Iceland is ~37 years, which is quite young for a developed country. Further, the population density in Iceland is only 3 per km^2. Globally the average population density is 25 people per km^2.
I corrected for age, Iceland includes the age distribution in their data. They do have very few older people infected relative to other countries, though that could be because they're catching more of the cases in younger people. I'm not sure what density would have to do with hospitalization rates. They do have much less genetic diversity than other countries, maybe they're more resistant to the virus.
Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 8.11.36 AM.png

Data

Dunno if this was posted already (article in Norwegian), but Iceland is now testing a sampling of asymptomatic, arbitrary people in Reykjavik. Approximately 1% of the tests have come back positive. 52 of 6163. Island tester tusenvis av helt friske personer – nå skal Norge følge etter

Iceland's confirmed cases is 0.25% of the population, and Iceland currently leads the testing with 25,000 tests per million. 0.25% is a lower bound, but it's closer to the real number of symptomatic people than all other countries due to intensive testing.

This is good: These numbers can be used to give an idea of how quickly the epidemic will burn through the whole population. The 1% number should be reasonably accurate for total asymptomatic cases in the communities that have been sampled. The real number is probably a little higher, due to people who got the virus and got well, but it won't be much larger since most infections happened very recently or are still ongoing.

1% is a lot more promising than a worst-case scenario of say 0.1%, which would imply that lockdowns or extreme measures have to be in effect for years if we're to get through this without overloading the healthcare system all the way through. Iceland's data supports what other early data indicates; 50-75% cases are asymptomatic.

This is admittedly much worse than the dream/fantasy scenario of the British preprint study that (with some major & shaky assumptions) estimated 60% of the population has already had the virus. We can probably discount that hope, but the real situation seems to be much better than the worst case.

Herd immunity for Covid19's level of transmissibility is estimated at a 60% cumulative infection rate, but some brief reasoning implies that milder quarantine measures (contact tracing, mask usage in public, intensive testing of symptomatic cases, probably certain quarantine measures regarding crowds) will have good effect even before this number is reached. Ditto for warmer climate during the summer months, which won't stop the epidemic in its tracks, but will similarly have a positive effect on the R0 number (new infections per case)

Iceland is already on the order of 2,5% of the way there, with a cumulative infection rate of ~1.5%.

Let's say Iceland has twice the number of symptomatic cases reported (0.5%) and the number of asymptomatic cases is representative (1%). This means that you can multiply the number of symptomatic cases by 3 to estimate the total/cumulative number of infections. And most countries don't catch nearly as big a portion of the symptomatic cases as Iceland does. Look at the number of dead compared to the confirmed cases to get an idea.

I haven't done the maths for the US yet, but it should be more promising even though the body count will look extremely bleak in the following weeks.

Tl;dr: if herd immunity is possible, it can be achieved in a reasonable timeframe. We're already making good progress. Probably not most of the way there yet, but it won't take years.

This also suggests the denominator on any death rate calculation is still to way too high.

Looks like the growth rate of cases in the US has slowed greatly. It has only been increasing a few thousand per day in the last few days. If you were too look at this as percentage it is only a few percent. If the lockdowns were not working it naturally would grow exponentially.

Elon predicted peak at April 1 and a decline to zero of new cases by end of April for the US. I don't think it will be zero but it may be manageable by end of April.

Dr. Fauci predicts 100K to 200K Americans will die from COVID-19

The U.S. government's foremost infection disease expert says the United States could experience more than 100,000 deaths and millions of infections from the coronavirus pandemic.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, speaking on CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday, offered his prognosis as the federal government weighs rolling back guidelines on social distancing in areas that have not been as hard-hit by the outbreak at the conclusion of the nationwide 15-day effort to slow the spread of the virus.

"I would say between 100,000 and 200,000 cases," he said, correcting himself to say he meant deaths. "We're going to have millions of cases." But he added "I don't want to be held to that" because the pandemic is "such a moving target."

this is his middle ground estimate. Not the worst case scenarios even when you account for social distancing and shutting down states.

Last edited:
This also suggests the denominator on any death rate calculation is still to way too high.

Looks like the growth rate of cases in the US has slowed greatly. It has only been increasing a few thousand per day in the last few days. If you were too look at this as percentage it is only a few percent. If the lockdowns were not working it naturally would grow exponentially.

Elon predicted peak at April 1 and a decline to zero of new cases by end of April for the US. I don't think it will be zero but it may be manageable by end of April.

Growth rate has slowed greatly?!? You know that in New York they are only testing hospitalized patients now, because they don't have enough PPE to test the general population. Hospitalizations and deaths are growing exponentially.

Growth rate has slowed greatly?!? You know that in New York they are only testing hospitalized patients now, because they don't have enough PPE to test the general population. Hospitalizations and deaths are growing exponentially.

Yeah don’t understand why everyone so routinely thinks the official numbers are the whole story when everyone knows that accurate, timely and on demand testing seems to still be at least a month away. And yes NYC is NOT testing due to lack of PPE.

I took the most recent Florida data updated as of Mar 28 and calculated the relative case fatality risk by age group using the 35-44 age cohort as a baseline. As one example of how to read this graph, a person in the 65-74 age group infected with Covid-19 has ~ 7x the mortality risk as a person in the 35-44 age group infected with Covid-19

upload_2020-3-29_9-29-20.png

Great, now we're going to get a bunch of trolls complaining about shutting down the economy for "only" 100k to 200k deaths.
We closed the stock markets over 9/11 when 2,977 people (including the hijackers) died. I tend to point out the 9/11 comparison when people are hand waving deaths away. 100,000 deaths is like going through 33 different 9/11 attacks, as far as lives lost.

Good simulations on how different social distancing and other measures impact propagation.
BRILLIANT

I wonder how many people viewing these simulations get the message:
WEAR masks in public, WASH hands
Isolate symptomatic cases with or without testing

So simple, yet so far so impossible with Merkins and trumpers.

...I'm not sure what density would have to do with hospitalization rates...
The correlation has been reported, although uncertain how specifically it has been quantified to this point.

We can look at country and region specific death rates which have a strong correlation with hospitalization rates. In this case the leader boards also show a significant correlation between population density and death rates.

We can look at country and region specific death rates which have a strong correlation with hospitalization rates. In this case the leader boards also show a significant correlation between population density and death rates.
Do you mean deaths/capita when you say 'death rate' ?

If so I would explain the finding by slower spread and delayed start of infection in rural areas.
That should not mollify anybody.