Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not really that hard to understand. The policy appears to be "eliminate poverty by killing off anyone who makes less than $1M/year".
This is absolutely true. It's difficult to explain in words to foreigners just how much America despises and abuses it's poor. I cannot think of another industrialized nation where it is worse to be poor than America.

ummm...

Funny thing Causalien mention that research. I was just looking at PubMed to see whether there has been any studies, and I found the article I think he was exactly referring to.
Hopefully, you guys can see this link since I have access to the portal:
https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext?mobileUi=0#sec5
Edit: Take a read. I believe it’s an interesting read even for most non-medical/science backgrounds. They go on to describe various solutions to inactivate in vitro.
Thanks for this. This is mainly regarding hospitals - but general rule applies.

Human coronaviruses can remain infectious on inanimate surfaces for up to 9 days. Surface disinfection with 0.1% sodium hypochlorite or 62–71% ethanol significantly reduces coronavirus infectivity on surfaces within 1 min exposure time. We expect a similar effect against the SARS-CoV-2.​

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
This is absolutely true. It's difficult to explain in words to foreigners just how much America despises and abuses it's poor. I cannot think of another industrialized nation where it is worse to be poor than America.
And to tie this thread back to the topic:
It's because we believe poverty to be contagious, so we isolate it in ghettos, build walls and gated communities to keep it out, etc.

This describes how poor the CV preparations are in US than anything else.

Live: Coronavirus daily update, March 2: What we know so far about the new coronavirus in the Seattle area, Washington state and the nation

Some of the Kirkland firefighters who responded to and transported the first reported cases of the novel coronavirus known as SARS-CoV-2 at a local care center have developed “flu-like” symptoms that could indicate infection, the city said Monday.​

City spokeswoman Kellie Stickney said the number of quarantined firefighters had risen to 27, and that the city had been “notified that some of our firefighters in quarantine are demonstrating flu like symptoms.”​

Daily graphs. Mixed, but overall not a bad day:
  • Hubei's big drop yesterday is sustained and furthered.
  • South Korea holds three days roughly level.
  • Italy's big spike yesterday now looks like a blip.
  • ... France and Germany still going up, mind you - just with a lot of up-down daily noise.
  • ... Other Europe is going up in tact with France and Germany.
  • Japan remains more or less level.
  • Iran keeps going up. Which is good, but this is just a start.
  • US + Canada is slightly down, but IMHO this is just getting started, particularly in the US (judging from undetected sources of infections, high death / detection rates, low testing rates, etc).

upload_2020-3-3_1-37-45.png

upload_2020-3-3_1-38-30.png

upload_2020-3-3_1-38-54.png

upload_2020-3-3_1-39-15.png

On another note, pretty much the whole country of Iceland wants to lynch a couple Icelanders right now who - after visiting Italy, but then finding out that everyone returning from Italy had to go into home quarantine - skipped their planned flight, bought a second return flight through London, got in without being quarantined, went to work, took pictures of themselves at work, and posted them online while bragging about how they evaded quarantine.

Bedford posted new estimates. Bottom-up approach says likely 570 and top-down says 330 cases in Seattle area.

Trevor Bedford on Twitter

Running these simulations forward with a mean doubling time of 6.1 days, we estimate the number of current infections in this transmission chain on March 1 to be 570 with an 90% uncertainty interval of between 80 and 1500.​

This approach leads to a similar estimate of the number of current infections at 330 with a 90% uncertainty interval of between 20 and 1500 infections.​

On another note, pretty much the whole country of Iceland wants to lynch a couple Icelanders right now who - after visiting Italy, but then finding out that everyone returning from Italy had to go into home quarantine - skipped their planned flight, bought a second return flight through London, got in without being quarantined, went to work, took pictures of themselves at work, and posted them online while bragging about how they evaded quarantine.

Perhaps a nithing pole would be in order?

You have been watchin too many fear mongering youtube videos.

No YouTube.
But, maybe because I previously worked at biopharma and biotech. And my family and my wife’s family are all in medicine and science.

Edit: Probably why I come across as more cautious than others. Plus we grew up in 3 generation homes. So, more cautious growing up by nature as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: EVCollies
I can’t speak for other countries but as of Monday the UK government has begun levelling with the public and softening them up for the likelihood that targeted containment is close to failing and a Chinese style shutdown may be necessary before very long. I am pleased they did and only wish they had done so earlier.

A “reasonable worst case” of 80% infected if no action taken to delay. Do your own calculation of how many this hospitalises and kills out of 70 million. Chop that number in half or half again if you like. It’s still just as depressing.

“Widespread infection is now likely”. Mood music about moving to the next phase of the plan, away from Containment to Delay. The hope that since targeted Containment is failing, they can stem the numbers until summer, which then buys time to regroup and hopefully gets you closer to a treatment.

Front page reassurances that supermarket groups will swing behind a centralised state plan to ensure sufficient nutrition is available for the nation, by focusing only on core foodstuffs. Emergency powers to close whole towns. Admission that they may need not just retired health workers willing to serve but even members of the public, to help with triage.

Meanwhile Washington State is showing horrific signs reminiscent of early Wuhan and hardly anyone seems to have noticed. Super f**** Tuesday apparently takes precedence.

Look on social media for videos of what’s happening in Iran if this is allowed to get out of control. The videos are heartbreaking and terrifying in equal measure. When Wuhan cracked, China drew on its 2 million person army to build army prefab hospitals and ensure a medic to patient ratio of 0.7x. There is no such fallback in Iran and the government are most likely more concentrated on saving themselves, given how many senior figures are reported to have already been infected. No one seems to be talking about it but the fall of the Ayatollahs could be a further black swan on top of everything.

This is sadly heading in a worse direction than I feared even 2 days ago. Then I was worried about an economic catastrophe. Now I think it runs the risk of becoming a human and social one in many places. And those places may well not just be limited to remote places on the world map. The signs in the USA are not promising. In a couple of weeks we could be looking back at Bush and Hurricane Katrina as a time of relative innocence.

Not that it matters but the stock market is reflecting the underlying psychology of its participants. An assumption that things go according to prior experience. A refusal to countenance truly terrible things. And the smart room fallacy - the mistaken belief it’ll all be ok, because someone somewhere has things under control.

I expect this won’t be a popular post. And I understand why. But this is sadly where I judge things might be headed, especially so given the complacent leadership in the US.

I expect this won’t be a popular post. And I understand why. But this is sadly where I judge things might be headed, especially so given the complacent leadership in the US.

I am also concerned that there will be a lot of more cases in the bay area causes panic about a possible shut down of the Fremont factory. Is anyone else not worried? Before one of the patients was diagnosed with CV, she was walking around Walnut Creek. For that reason, I am hedging.

Live: Coronavirus daily update, March 2: What we know so far about the new coronavirus in the Seattle area, Washington state and the nation

Some of the Kirkland firefighters who responded to and transported the first reported cases of the novel coronavirus known as SARS-CoV-2 at a local care center have developed “flu-like” symptoms that could indicate infection, the city said Monday.​

City spokeswoman Kellie Stickney said the number of quarantined firefighters had risen to 27, and that the city had been “notified that some of our firefighters in quarantine are demonstrating flu like symptoms.”​

hmmmm

FARK.

I was hoping the US response will be good. As I model Canadian response will be something similar to yours but more botched because we are still at the stage where mentioning of Coronavirus is racist. But if you guys botched it up, it will be a disaster here.

In fairness, there were a large number of patients taken out of the facility before testing was available, and before anyone knew they had Corona virus. The firefighters could have been exposed then.

ummm...

Funny thing Causalien mention that research. I was just looking at PubMed to see whether there has been any studies, and I found the article I think he was exactly referring to.
Hopefully, you guys can see this link since I have access to the portal:
https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext?mobileUi=0#sec5
Edit: Take a read. I believe it’s an interesting read even for most non-medical/science backgrounds. They go on to describe various solutions to inactivate in vitro.

It's been an interesting exercise for me.

A lot of the time, I get some information and have to wonder where I am in the information curve. Have we jumped the early adopter chasm yet with this information? I can never truly put a timeline to it due to how hard it is to test the information against a market that reacts to very many different stimulus.

But with this coronavirus, because the event is so pronounced and scientific research results can be obtained fairly openly. I am able to put a time to my information advantage and that is approximately 1 month and a half earlier than the market.

There's a panic going on right now around here. I went to Costco because I wanted to buy normal food and the place was absolutely raided. I was there only 30 minutes before closing, the employees said that it was a madhouse during the day. I've never seen Costco that low on everything before. They were out of bottled water and toilet paper, the two important things you need during the apocalypse. You need water to survive, and you need to wipe your behind. That doesn't even make sense. I don't understand the toilet paper thing at all but people were going nuts buying whole shopping carts full of it.

I am also concerned that there will be a lot of more cases in the bay area causes panic about a possible shut down of the Fremont factory. Is anyone else not worried? Before one of the patients was diagnosed with CV, she was walking around Walnut Creek. For that reason, I am hedging.
Walnut Creek is 35 mies from Fremont by road. Let's get real.