Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So some kinds of vaccinations are "killed" or "attenuated" virus so your body can learn to fight it without actually getting full on sick from it.

What if someone were to spend time in a shut down former COVID hot spot? Say for instance a closed ER, or nursing home, where nobody had been in there for say a week.
Would it have lots of dead COVID-19 around, and exposing yourself to it could help you build immunity without actually getting sick?

Very doubtful that would have any effect. A few fragmented virions on the skin don't generate immunity AFAIK

Reactions: OPRCE
As an ex-MSFT employee who isn't fond of Microsoft, I can clearly say your characterization is similar to how shorts talk about Tesla.
As a person who's Microsoft Certified Professional doc was ink'd by Bill during the W3.11 rollout let me say this:
Last night we switched monitors on a seldom used media server running Win10Pro64. It wanted to do an update after restart.
and … bang off we go to the races!
KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
Safe Mode?
Restore?
Recovery?
Use Retail shrinkwrapped $199 media?
Window Despair err Repair
Burn to the ground?
NO HDD FOUND
Try to make Linux boot USB on brand new laptop, unused:
MUST REMOVE S MODE
Try to remove S Mode?
YOU HAVE TOO MANY COMPUTERS AIMED AT MS STORE
… etc, etc, etc.

After 10h of Where's Waldo, Linux installs in under 5 minutes, Linux recovered content on HDD, it's now Dual Boot, and ...
Windows 10 Professional 64 has been updating since noon. It appears to run fine. It's not Covid trust me.

I didn't touch the hardware except the HDMI monitor.

TLDR - Way off topic. Win Update is Russian Roulette with 5 bullets and one empty chamber.

Last edited:
As a person who's Microsoft Certified Professional doc was ink'd by Bill during the W3.11 rollout let me say this:
Last night we switched monitors on a seldom used media server running Win10Pro64. It wanted to do an update after restart.
and … bang off we go to the races!

Some memories from Microsoft "fun times":

#1: Progress bars that get to almost 100%, then suddenly backtrack and shrink down to 5% and start over.
#2: Completely useless error pop-ups like "An unknown error has been detected. Please fix the problem and restart."

Should I be glad this wasn't an expected error? :
error1.jpg

Should I be glad this wasn't a "soft" error? :
error2.jpg

Is it good that they keep reminding me there are errors in case I missed one of them? :
error3.jpg

OK, yeah, highly off topic. Consider this a comic break. Back to the topic at hand.

Last edited:
^^^ Yeah, it has been discussed quite a bit. It is still in trials, so not ready for any kind of wide scale usage.
I think the trials are on people already in bad shape.
I am curious what it will do if given earlier at the first sign of exposure/symptoms...

It's an IV medication, it won't be given at early sign of exposure / symptoms.

This drug will be reserved for hospitalized patients only.

So some kinds of vaccinations are "killed" or "attenuated" virus so your body can learn to fight it without actually getting full on sick from it.

What if someone were to spend time in a shut down former COVID hot spot? Say for instance a closed ER, or nursing home, where nobody had been in there for say a week.
Would it have lots of dead COVID-19 around, and exposing yourself to it could help you build immunity without actually getting sick?

In a word - No.

It's an IV medication, it won't be given at early sign of exposure / symptoms.
This drug will be reserved for hospitalized patients only.
I can see how that would be the "default" approach. But it still doesn't seem out of the question to consider earlier treatment.
Let's say there was a protocol to start it somewhat prophylactically on high risk patients?
Say for example it was an 85 year old with a home IV already for some other pre-existing condition.

Sure, I doubt we would see people wander into the hospital saying "I am getting a fever and can't taste anything... hook me up to the IV please!"
But it does seem like it would be worth finding out if it could stave off COVID-19 by starting earlier on patients likely to end up in serious condition.

Reactions: OPRCE
I can see how that would be the "default" approach. But it still doesn't seem out of the question to consider earlier treatment.
Let's say there was a protocol to start it somewhat prophylactically on high risk patients?
Say for example it was an 85 year old with a home IV already for some other pre-existing condition.

Sure, I doubt we would see people wander into the hospital saying "I am getting a fever and can't taste anything... hook me up to the IV please!"
But it does seem like it would be worth finding out if it could stave off COVID-19 by starting earlier on patients likely to end up in serious condition.

IV medication = hospitalization (almost always, with a few execptions).

Sorry, but your proposal won't ever pan out in the way you think and hope it will.

I won't even get into the supply/demand problems if this medication turns out to be the real deal. IV medications are not as biostable as tablet medications, and are usually harder to transport and store. This all means a significantly lower shelf life and available supply for treatment.

Again, this will be a hospitalization only medication.

Favipiravir is in the same class as Remdesivir, and is tablet-stable. If that one pans out, it could be used in a manner similar to current anti-influenza medications (tamiflu).

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE and TEG

#1: Progress bars that get to almost 100%, then suddenly backtrack and shrink down to 5% and start over.
#2: Completely useless error pop-ups like "An unknown error has been detected. Please fix the problem and restart."

View attachment 533676
View attachment 533680

Is it good that they keep reminding me there are errors in case I missed one of them? :
View attachment 533683

OK, yeah, highly off topic. Consider this a comic break. Back to the topic at hand.

Watch out. The fun police unpilot is on the thread monitoring any humor. He's going to give you a disagree vote for that

Point proven.

I will read no more from you.

You realize of course that if you do not hit reply to a post but you just hit 'reply' at the bottom of the page serious people (and This Thread does have many serious members!) then have to struggle to figure out who your crabbiness is intended for? Do you intend for all of us to have to do that much extra work just because you're crabby? Seems profoundly unfair!:eek::eek:

OK, well taking it a step further... How about inhaling known dead COVID? Wear old ER masks that have been in storage for a week?

This set of questions is a bit like somebody in their backyard trying to build a moon rocket. :D:D

There's a reason why immunology and the science of vaccination is a difficult technical science. There are no shortcuts or easy ways to get immunity to pathogens. The tried-and-true way is expose yourself to them and hope you survive. I wouldn't recommend that in this case.

Absent that, you need to let the scientists do their grunt work which takes lots of time and lots of hard work. Perhaps you can contribute to that effort in some small way by pushing back against the anti-science anti-vaccine crowd.

There are some things you can do in the meantime. Make sure you don't have a vitamin D or vitamin C deficiency, get a good night's sleep, consider polyphenol supplements (disclosure: not proven to help immunity in relationship to covid-19) get lots of exercise, be in a good mood and engaged in life in general.

All of these things may help your immunity.

Xkcd came up with a new intuitive visualization:

View attachment 532898

View attachment 533676
View attachment 533680

View attachment 533683

Back in college (around 2000) if you knew someone's ip address you could do some pinging of some sort and cause it to crash to Blue Screen of Death.

This resulted in endless fun of trolling any dorm mates that were annoying use :)

Back in college (around 2000) if you knew someone's ip address you could do some pinging of some sort and cause it to crash to Blue Screen of Death.

This resulted in endless fun of trolling any dorm mates that were annoying use :)

That sounds like highly useful technology. Can you apply that technology to the crabby members of The Forum that are always punching in disagree votes to either jokes or data sets that are simply cut and pasted?