Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you idiots put a tiny bit of effort in moderating your own posts while the mods are offline? No one cares that you don't like each other.

You idiots? This is coming from the person with the all-time TMC record for 'Disagree' votes (11276 and counting?), and who makes a lot of seriously irritated posts. Seems a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. Or worse. I'm sure you'll give me a disagree vote for this one but I'd consider that a badge of honor. :D

The virus that keeps on giving? Article yesterday afternoon in Wall Street Journal on recovered patients in South Korea turning up now, some with symptoms and positive test results, others no symptoms but positive. Researchers there say U.S. and other countries will be looking to South Korea for more answers on this as they continue their testing. “Doctors believe that the disease may have gone dormant and then come back, posing more challenges for testing”. The take-away:

““It’s clear that we don’t fully understand what it means to have immunity against this virus,” said Keiji Fukuda, a former WHO official who worked extensively on the H1N1, avian flu and other recent major outbreaks.”

WSJ:
South Korea’s New Coronavirus Twist: Recovered Patients Test Positive Again

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lessmog and OPRCE
COVID-19 outbreak at a large homeless shelter in Boston: Implications for universal testing
A homeless shelter in Boston was tested. 36% had covid even though they had precautions in place. Of those that had covid, 90% were described as not having symptoms. Quote:
Cough (7.5%), shortness of breath (1.4%), and fever (0.7%) were all uncommon among COVID-positive individuals.
/quote
I suppose this is common when testing is done early. More symptoms may arrive later.

These guys report about 43% asymptomatic.

Suppression of COVID-19 outbreak in the municipality of Vo, Italy : COVID19

The surveys were taken before and after the 14 day lockdown.

On the 21st of February 2020 a resident of the municipality of Vo, a small town near Padua, died of pneumonia due to SARS-CoV-2 infection. This was the first COVID-19 death detected in Italy since the emergence of SARS-CoV-2 in the Chinese city of Wuhan, Hubei province. In response, the regional authorities imposed the lockdown of the whole municipality for 14 days. We collected information on the demography, clinical presentation, hospitalization, contact network and presence of SARS-CoV-2 infection in nasopharyngeal swabs for 85.9% and 71.5% of the population of Vo at two consecutive time points. On the first survey, which was conducted around the time the town lockdown started, we found a prevalence of infection of 2.6% (95% confidence interval (CI) 2.1-3.3%). On the second survey, which was conducted at the end of the lockdown, we found a prevalence of 1.2% (95% CI 0.8-1.8%). Notably, 43.2% (95% CI 32.2-54.7%) of the confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infections detected across the two surveys were asymptomatic. The mean serial interval was 6.9 days (95% CI 2.6-13.4). We found no statistically significant difference in the viral load (as measured by genome equivalents inferred from cycle threshold data) of symptomatic versus asymptomatic infections (p-values 0.6 and 0.2 for E and RdRp genes, respectively, Exact Wilcoxon-Mann-Whitney test). Contact tracing of the newly infected cases and transmission chain reconstruction revealed that most new infections in the second survey were infected in the community before the lockdown or from asymptomatic infections living in the same household. This study sheds new light on the frequency of asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection and their infectivity (as measured by the viral load) and provides new insights into its transmission dynamics, the duration of viral load detectability and the efficacy of the implemented control measures.​

Given the presymptomatic transmission, it’s required to rely on something other than symptoms in ALL cases. If we are going to be successful in containment and getting back to “normal,” we will have to have aggressive contact tracing and quarantine based on positive PCR results. Given the high false negatives on PCR early on in infection, you can’t rely on PCR to figure out who is not infected. You have to assume anyone in contact has been infected and get them quarantined/isolated.

Can’t underestimate the virus. Have to pull out all the stops to stop the spread, and have a proven strategy based on data.

There is a reason China was welding people into their apartments!

Agreed, that's also why I added the quote from the second study. That's not included in your quote, but may be what you are responding to. Also perhaps best test those identified through contact twice: once immediately, and once after the period of time it takes to become "testable" since you have to decide if you want to follow the chain, and how far.

In so far as resources allow. It looks like even though testing will be resource limited, they are not necessarily pulling all strings possible to change that.

Reactions: OPRCE
Some posts here used New York City as a sanity check for low IFR values, and when I took a closer look at that, I was a bit shocked to see that NYC's mortality is already within the order of magnitude of common IFR estimates, as the mortality is a lower limit for the IFR.

As of today, the mortality in New York City is 0.15%.
((8,448 + 4,264) / 8,400,000)

And to get a picture of what this means, I made this list:

If for 1 or 2 weeks ago,
you assume 50% or less were infected, that means the IFR can't be below 0.3%.
If you assume 20% or less were infected, that means the IFR can't be below 0.75%.
If you assume 15% or less were infected, that means the IFR can't be below 1.0%.
If you assume 10% or less were infected, that means the IFR can't be below 1.5%.

On the other end, I think nobody expects the IFR to be above 2.0%, probably mostly since South Korea's CFR is now ~2.2% and at the end of its curve. So I think we now have data that narrows down the possible range to one order of magnitude (for NYC).

C19 Testing Program that requires pre-screen for risk:

COVID-19 | Project Baseline

Everyone in my family failed to qualify, but if you do qualify, it's free.

We were interested in testing because we are required to keep our business open, and we have an employee who returned from South Korea during it's peak there. We paid him to stay at home for 14 days, but you never know. That and we bought a Tesla in a very crowded Costa Mesa showroom on March 10th, and then our advisor was sick for two weeks.

If you were exposed March 10 or before and either didn't come down with it, or had an asymptomatic case, you're not at risk to get it from those exposures. Most immunologists agree that the incubation period is 5-14 days.

I think from context they mean new cases per day per million people. Seems about right to me - 330 cases per day nationwide seems like a level where we could actually contact trace, quarantine, and isolate rapidly enough that it MIGHT just work. This virus is wily, so it’ll really take an extraordinary effort even at that low level of background infection.

Though that would have to be 330 actual cases and not 330 detected with the kind of testing levels we have now. It's also estimated that it will take an army of over 300,000 contact trace people to do the job. We're nowhere near having enough people to do that job. There are quite a few people who could be retrained to do the job (who have related skills already), but somebody needs to be putting together a contract tracing program and I see no evidence of this.

The sad thing is that this is really a false dilemma, and if we actually had good leadership, the nation could pull together, and there is some reason to think we could implement a system that actually can beat the virus, preventing further catastrophic spread, while also allowing resumption of significant economic activity. It does require federal leadership to maximize chance of success, though.

South Korea has been able to stay more open through this, but they are testing at levels that are a pipe dream in this country.

Another thing that would help is aggressive antibody testing and allowing those with the antibody to do jobs that put them more in contact with the public. The downside is some economically desperate people will try to get the virus so they can work. It's not going to help the economy much if the percentage of people in the population with the antibody is low.

But, whoever is behind the propaganda being pushed to sow division is definitely not emphasizing this. And of course our president is falling right into the trap. What is strange is that this is a perfect opportunity for him to maximize his re-election chances - a flawless response which gets the best of both worlds is probably his best hope. But looks like he is sticking with the strategy that got him there, even though it is not the best for the country.

If his people aren't behind it. My SO was reading an article about Trump's financial situation. His businesses are losing almost 1/2 million a day right now and he's heavily in debt. He's pushing to get the economy open again because he's teetering on bankruptcy.

[/QUOTE]
Keep in mind that the research suggests (I think I posted a paper here at some point) truly asymptomatic cases are much more common the younger the population. So extrapolating this 60% asymptomatic number to the general population cannot be done (so probably the real number is closer to 15-25% asymptomatic in a more typical population). To be clear: I can’t currently find the paper but I found one in the last week that had studied the asx rate vs age.
[/QUOTE]

I think Iceland found about 35% in their testing. I think that may be on the high side. It's probably more likely in the 25-35% range. But any percentage that high should be of concern to anyone who is trying to slow the spread. A decent percentage of people who are contagious, but don't know it and can't be detected except through the full virus test makes this thing almost impossible to stop short of herd immunity (either through cases or a vaccine).

Of course there is some incompetence involved, but I think this just shows how the virus is much harder to stop than we estimate. Many homes are trying to stop infiltration and still failing. The more we underestimate the virus, the worse the results. And unfortunately it looks like we’re about to start making the mistake nationwide, because there are insufficiently strict requirements gating transition to Phase 1. Even more to the point, there aren’t any actual metrics for going to phase 1. Very problematic. Without science-based metrics, the phase 1 experiment will fail, which will be costly in lives lost and economic output.

Remember that many people are staying home regardless of what the gov’t says to do, and they will remain there until it is safe, or desperation forces them to work. So economic output cannot return until the problem is solved, no matter what the government says is allowed.

Smart people who are high risk have been isolating since early on in this pandemic and will be for some time. Bill Maher had an interview with Andrew Sullivan last night. Sullivan is HIV positive and has always had lung problems. He's been isolating for 2 months now and said it could be a year for him. He's going nuts, but determined not to get it.

I'm thankful my father's exposure chances have been low thus far. He's in a home in a small town in Morro Bay, CA. He is their second oldest resident (100) and has multiple organs in terminal decline. His risk is astronomical. I keep tabs on COVID-19 news from Morro Bay and thus far the town has been very lightly hit. But it's probably only a matter of time. If something else doesn't get him first, this would almost certainly kill him.

Latest version of my chart comparing actual total deaths to the 03/30 IHME model mean total deaths for 04/17:

View attachment 533615

I'm not super thrilled with Excel's color table scheme. I colored up to +-50% to bring out those that are closer to 0%. The outliers dominate. Look at CT.

Not sure whats up with NM.

I think some states are under reporting deaths. For example Ron DeSantos has shown a lot of signs of hiding the ball in Florida.

The virus that keeps on giving? Article yesterday afternoon in Wall Street Journal on recovered patients in South Korea turning up now, some with symptoms and positive test results, others no symptoms but positive. Researchers there say U.S. and other countries will be looking to South Korea for more answers on this as they continue their testing. “Doctors believe that the disease may have gone dormant and then come back, posing more challenges for testing”. The take-away:

““It’s clear that we don’t fully understand what it means to have immunity against this virus,” said Keiji Fukuda, a former WHO official who worked extensively on the H1N1, avian flu and other recent major outbreaks.”

WSJ:
South Korea’s New Coronavirus Twist: Recovered Patients Test Positive Again

Though the South Koreans have found that those who test positive again is very small and when they have done deeper dives for live virus, they can't find any. They are thinking now that some people still have RNA from the virus in their system after they recover, but there is no live virus left.

This disease also seems to relapse easily in the weeks following recovery. If a person tries to do things that are stressful on the system too quickly symptoms can return.

Some posts here used New York City as a sanity check for low IFR values, and when I took a closer look at that, I was a bit shocked to see that NYC's mortality is already within the order of magnitude of common IFR estimates, as the mortality is a lower limit for the IFR.

As of today, the mortality in New York City is 0.15%.
((8,448 + 4,264) / 8,400,000)

And to get a picture of what this means, I made this list:

If for 1 or 2 weeks ago,
you assume 50% or less were infected, that means the IFR can't be below 0.3%.
If you assume 20% or less were infected, that means the IFR can't be below 0.75%.
If you assume 15% or less were infected, that means the IFR can't be below 1.0%.
If you assume 10% or less were infected, that means the IFR can't be below 1.5%.

On the other end, I think nobody expects the IFR to be above 2.0%, probably mostly since South Korea's CFR is now ~2.2% and at the end of its curve. So I think we now have data that narrows down the possible range to one order of magnitude (for NYC).

A birthing center in NYC started testing all women coming in to give birth. I think they tested about 215 women and found about 1/8 were positive for COVID-19, though only 4 had any symptoms. This is a population more likely to have mild cases. Most pregnant women are under 40, most will be taking extra good care of themselves while pregnant, and women tend to be at lower risk than men. But if this is indicative of the NYC population, that would put the infection rate to be in the 15% range. Though this is a small sample and they didn't do any antibody testing. Some of those who tested negative for COIVD-19 might test positive for the antibody, which would push the infected and recovered population over 15%.

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE
@wdolson I got the impression from the WSJ article that South Korea wasn't able to re-test people after they were cleared at this point easily (like no after clearing mandatory re-check) but were only re-testing those that came back to their doctors with complaints of coughing for example. That and those that kind of were "captive" patients in nursing homes where it was easy to check. Thinking those could be part of why the numbers at this point are low?

Just saw this in the LA Times about deaths in LA County, highest one day toll to date, 81. L.A. County reports 81 new coronavirus deaths, highest one-day total by far

"In the last week, deaths among L.A. County residents have roughly doubled and now stand at more than 570, she said.

Of the people who most recently died, 56 were older than 65, 18 were 41 to 65, and one person was 18 to 40, Ferrer said. Sixty-three of the people had underlying health conditions.

The county also announced 642 additional coronavirus cases Saturday. Long Beach, which has its own health department, reported an additional death and 30 new cases Saturday, for a total of 12,051 cases and 577 deaths in L.A. County."

There won't be dashboard updates for Santa Clara County for today, Saturday, 4/18, as explained on the SCC.gov site:

"Due to a data update in the Reportable Disease Information Exchange (CalREDIE), managed by the California Department of Public Health, the County of Santa Clara's COVID-19 Cases dashboard will not be updated on April 18, 2020. We will update the data in the dashboard as soon as we have completed our review of the State of California's changes and data updates. "

OK, well taking it a step further... How about inhaling known dead COVID? Wear old ER masks that have been in storage for a week?
I'm not a bio expert, but just thinking logically about this - I'd think for your immunue system to manufacture an antibody it would need to recognize the outside of the virus; it probably isn't peering into the inside to check out the RNA. The antibody cares about the characteristics of the outer "spikes".

I'm not exactly sure how vaccines work (other than the layman understanding that it is some weakened or vestigial form of the virus), but it would seem to me that essentially what you want is a replica of a virus where it looks exactly like the virus on the outside but on the inside there is no RNA. Without the RNA it would be harmless as it would have no ability to replicate. But I doubt this is how vaccines are made now because they can make you sick if done wrong; hence partly why they take so long (much testing needed to make sure they aren't harmful). But they should try my idea of removing the RNA from existing virus.

We should all realize that most likely net deaths will remain about the same. Everyone dies of something. Without Coronavirus they would die of a "thing". If they die of Coronavirus then they will not die of that thing. So they won't be counted as a death attributed to that thing, it will just move to the Covid column.
Death causes are a zero sum game; particularly with Covid which doesn't (ok, very rarely) kill people who are healthy.

We should all realize that most likely net deaths will remain about the same. Everyone dies of something. Without Coronavirus they would die of a "thing". If they die of Coronavirus then they will not die of that thing. So they won't be counted as a death attributed to that thing, it will just move to the Covid column.
Death causes are a zero sum game; particularly with Covid which doesn't (ok, very rarely) kill people who are healthy.

Sure, life is just a matter of moving to a different column. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I realized this thread jumped the shark 50 pages ago.
Yeah, this makes me sad, because it was an interesting resource for a long time.

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 6.30.39 PM.png

It's also estimated that it will take an army of over 300,000 contact trace people to do the job. We're nowhere near having enough people to do that job. There are quite a few people who could be retrained to do the job (who have related skills already), but somebody needs to be putting together a contract tracing program and I see no evidence of this.
Census Bureau! Census Bureau ramps up hiring efforts for 2020 Census

The U.S. Census Bureau is ramping up its national recruiting efforts to hire up to 500,000 temporary, part-time census takers for the 2020 Census in communities across the country to reach its goal of more than 2 million applicants.

But any percentage that high should be of concern to anyone who is trying to slow the spread. A decent percentage of people who are contagious, but don't know it and can't be detected except through the full virus test makes this thing almost impossible to stop short of herd immunity (either through cases or a vaccine).

It will be very hard, but I am not of the belief that herd immunity is required. We have the technology and the medical know-how to be able to keep this thing from spreading. But first we need to get the number of active cases to a low level, to make the problem manageable.

We should all realize that most likely net deaths will remain about the same

Truth! Only life expectancy will change. No biggie.