Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think there's a point in tracing when we have over a million confirmed cases (likely 5m+) in USA.

not sure I agree on a region by region bases. Our County in NYS is doing a lot of testing and tracing and I think it helps. We have a manageable amount of cases so it’s doable. We were as high as 30 cases a day and now down to 5 yesterday and 3 today. This is a County with 500,000 people.

However, in a city like NYC, I agree. But every part of the country is in a different situation.

Reactions: Norbert and sparcs
We've already passed the number of deaths in 2.5 months in the USA that seasonal influenza had in 2018-2019 (34,200 as estimated by the CDC).

Yes, I'm not saying corona is less impact than the flu overall. What I'm saying is now that most people are taking precautions and are vigilant, businesses can resume, and we'll see less impact than seasonal flu going forward. I don't understand the need for further lockdowns.

Case numbers are kinda meaningless with our current understanding (25-50% asymptomatic). I focus on deaths. And I think daily deaths will be 75% lower in a month.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

BS or facts? :
A serious new coronavirus-related condition may be emerging in children, with UK doctors reporting growing numbers requiring intensive care
A serious coronavirus-related condition may be emerging among children, UK doctors believe
General practitioners in the UK have been sent an "urgent alert" urging them to look out for symptoms of the new condition.
Symptoms of the condition include "toxic shock syndrome and atypical Kawasaki Disease" as well as "abdominal pain and gastrointestinal symptoms."
There has been a significant increase in children being admitted to intensive care in recent weeks with the condition according to the Health Service Journal report.

Exclusive: National alert as ‘coronavirus-related condition may be emerging in children’

I don't think there's a point in tracing when we have over a million confirmed cases (likely 5m+ actual) in USA.

We are probably producing about 300k or so new cases per day in the US. We may well have over 10 million cases in the US today. The whole idea of test/trace/isolate is to reduce R. The better you do the lower the R. That's why we've got to do it. If we don't do it, there was really no point in a lockdown. The whole idea of an effective lockdown is to reduce the number of cases being generated (it is working in some places), so you can test, trace, and isolate!

As for ppe, I haven't heard any new major shortages, and hospitalizations are trending down down down (need for ppe is going down down down).

We need to make sure that everyone in this country, even those not in health care, has access to quality protective equipment. Re-use where necessary, but there should be no shortages. I'm particularly concerned about those who have no money, the homeless, etc. The government can make sure that all of this equipment is widely available (for free, probably).

Tracing is not worth the cost and effort when people are freely traveling between counties and states.

Absolutely this is a valid issue, but even more reason for TESTING. Everyone who travels gets tested, for now at least. Cases are widespread enough there's really no other option.

And I think daily deaths will be 75% lower in a month.

I think it is unlikely that we'll be below 500 deaths per day in a month, unfortunately. That would mean that we'd need to be below 50-100k new cases per day in a couple weeks, at the most.

There's not really any evidence yet that 25-50% of patients are asymptomatic (not to be confused with presymptomatic!). There are definitely asymptomatics, but more data is needed to understand the problem scope. In any case, it's something that can be understood better with more...testing.

We've already passed the number of deaths in 2.5 months in the USA

Actually we got that many deaths (34k) in less than 3 weeks. But yes, far exceeded that number in 2.5 months since the start.

Last edited:
There's not really any evidence yet that 25-50% of patients are asymptomatic (not to be confused with presymptomatic!). There are definitely asymptomatics, but more data is needed to understand the problem scope. In any case, it's something that can be understood better with more...testing.

I'm just rehashing what Fauci said. Maybe he meant something else. Regardless, tracing isn't useful when high percent are asymptomatic (even if it's a bit lower than Fauci said):

'Between 25% and 50%' of people who get the coronavirus may show no symptoms, Fauci says. Here's the latest research on asymptomatic carriers.

• Disagree
Reactions: Doggydogworld
Regardless, tracing isn't useful when high percent are asymptomatic (even if it's a bit lower than Fauci said):

You are missing the point: It involves TESTING and tracing. Absolutely tracing is important even if there are asymptomatics. Anyone who has been in contact with a known carrier is put in quarantine (different than isolation) for 14 days, and additionally (when there are sufficient tests) is tested repeatedly. That's the whole point of testing and tracing!

When applied millions of times, this reduces R and reduces the case load. It also reduces the threshold for herd immunity, if it actually gets to that point (definitely preferably not). But an effective R of 1.1 means 9% of people being infected gives you herd immunity.

"Q Dr. Fauci, how many additional asymptomatic cases do you think there are currently in the United States? There’s 330,000 more confirmed cases. How many asymptomatic, given what we’ve learned in recent days?

DR. FAUCI: You know, we don’t know. And even among us, good friends that we are — (laughs) — we — we differ about that. I mean, it’s somewhere between 25 and 50 percent.

Q More than —

DR. FAUCI: Yeah. Yeah, in other words, about the people —

Q — the current level?

DR. FAUCI: Yeah, about the people that are out there. Yeah.

And trust me, that is a estimate. I don’t have any scientific data yet to say that. You know when we’ll get the scientific data, when we get those antibody tests out there and we really know what the penetrance is. Then we can answer the questions in a scientifically sound way. Right now, we’re just guessing. "

Likely, from context, he was talking about not just asymptomatic cases - he was also talking about very mild symptoms that never never would have been reported or even really remarked upon. We need more data. 25% seems fairly possible. But it's not really an issue as long as we have sufficient testing. It just makes it harder (need more testing, and more tracing).

Reactions: davepsilon
And trust me, that is a estimate. I don’t have any scientific data yet to say that. You know when we’ll get the scientific data, when we get those antibody tests out there and we really know what the penetrance is. Then we can answer the questions in a scientifically sound way. Right now, we’re just guessing. "

Sure, there's no concrete data to support this, just peripheral data, like the 25% NYC population have been infected stat.

just peripheral data, like the 25% NYC population have been infected stat.

Right, but obviously that 25% is totally different than an asymptomatic rate. There's been 300k cases identified in NYS, and probably 3 million infections. It's quite possible that 1-2 million of those infections not identified were symptomatic.

That would mean a 700k/3e6 = 23% asymptomatic rate.

Not too big a deal, just kind of a pain. Just something you have to recognize (and gather data on to understand it precisely!) and adjust for with the strategy. Not a major issue for public health authorities - asymptomatic infection is not an unusual property for infections (take polio for example), and it's something they are used to. Just have to adjust the scale of the intervention.